30 Days of Keto: Stairs, Scales & Squishiness

Options
40DayFit
40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
Hello, keto kinfolk,

On 10/20, I resolved to try eating no more than 20g net carbs/day, moderate protein, and high fat for 3 days. To my surprise, it was fairly easy and I didn't have any urge to eat the delicious carbs being served up at the conference I was attending. I committed to another 7 days. Success! So I resolved to achieve a full 30 days of keto eating. I made it. And I'm still at it.

Along the way, the inflammation that had me pause at the top of stairs to make sure my joints were ready, that had my pushing up from seated positions using my arms? GONE. Probably by the third or fourth day, actually. That energy boost everyone keeps talking about, that I tossed off as just over-eager self-promotion? I has that. In abundance. My body feels lighter. My joints free. My mind fresh. My hunger abated (though I still eat 3 meals/day, with very occasional small snacks). Friends, keto is working for me.

And yes, I am doing this for fatloss as well. So I've been weighing to see what's been happening on the scale. Like most, I saw pounds drop. In 30 days, it's been 13 lbs. I hit a weight I haven't seen in a few years now, after bouncing up and down the same 2-3 lbs for at least two years. Naturally, the scale has slowed since the first two weeks. I'm guessing it's because my body's busy doing thangs. All the thangs.

Pants are fitting differently. I think I see some differences in my belly. But more interesting is the change in the texture of my pudgy parts. What was once fairly firm fat is now squishy. Like my body's using it, slowly emptying the fat cells. I'm not only looking a little less full, I'm feeling a little less firm. Squishy fat is a strange experience, one I'll be glad to move on from at some point (sooner rather than later, thanks). I've done reading about fatloss in the past and have read posts about squishy fat. So I know this is part of the process. Still, living through it is something else.

I've got plenty more fat to go, that's for sure. I'm guessing it'll be about a year, allowing for the usual scale fluctuations, before I'm down the ~100 [now ~80] I'm ready to release. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the experience, learning a lot about my body, and celebrating all the small things. Not a single candy, cookie, or other off-plan "treat" despite being surrounded by it. No moody eating. No deep dive into "keto treats" either. Carbs from dairy & green vegetables, great meat, eggs, & cheese, and tasty healthy fats to balance things out. And now my body is asking for more walking, more weight lifting. So that's on the horizon from here. Exciting!

Thanks for being here, thanks for reading!

Replies