/sigh...help?

Options
trinty425
trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
From what I've been reading so far....this Eat More 2 Weigh Less....seems to be basically what I've been doing with my medical professional since May of this year. I have not been able to lose a single pound ever since my last son was born 11 years ago. Each year my weight only increased 2-5 pounds. In the past (before this year)...I have seen dietitians and fitness trainers...had years of intense workouts and dieting...then a few years of "threw it all out the window"...and always the same result....so weight down...a few pounds up for the year. It is hard to research and explain this....I can't lose any weight, but I also do not really gain weight when you would expect. Same results regardless of how much or how little I eat or workout. Anyways, So, new town (we're military)...new docs...figured I'd try again. We use a BodPod machine every month to accurately see my RMR and body composition. I was averaging for many years 1600 calories a day (or less) and he immediately upped my calorie intake. Actually had me go up to 2900 calories in...and a workout routine that included almost daily cardio and 3 times a week strength training with weights. Roll forward a few months....I felt better, more energy, slept better, less muscle cramps, etc. I gained over 15 lbs of muscle....but only a few pounds of fat loss. He said this showed how starved my body was....and that eventually my muscle gain should slow down and the fat loss should speed up. Now it is the end of November......My weight when we started was about 265....with up and down a few pounds. Over these last months...My weight now fluctuates up to 270....and down to 260....but no matter what I never break the 260 barrier. My calorie deficits started small.....and have slowly increased over time. We have done a chunk of tweaks to my workout routine. I use a fitbit watch, fitbit program, and MFP, and cups, and weigh my food for tracking and accuracy. While I "feel" better....healthier....etc. My weight won't break...my body measurements and how my clothes fit are the same. I am losing body fat very slowly...but keep seeming to build more muscle than fat loss...but measurements don't change? My RMR is now about 1900....I burn 3000 or more calories a day. I maintain a deficit of 600-1000 calories a day. I take 1 or 2 rest days from exercise, but still keep a deficit. My muscle gain is slowing down, but fat loss is not speeding up. My medical professional I've been seeing is more diabetes / fitness focused....and he is now "at a loss". He is referring me to a full dietitian. I am thrilled so far...because I am getting "results" for the first time in a decade....but it still seems like something is delaying progress. I can't post this in most places because I get the whole "eat less work more" mantra....which did nothing at all for 10 years. I have had some general blood work and tests done....everything is "within normal"....general testing says I don't have a thyroid issue, or blood sugar issue. I am taking supplements, drinking lots of water, all the general basic stuff. Just so frustrated! Before my last son...I could make just minor changes to physical activity and diet and lose 20-30 pounds in a few months. Now....nada. I ask for any advice. Perhaps tests or things to specifically ask my doctors about? I'm not looking forward to a rigorous diet plan with this new dietitian...for 6 months or more to just have the same outcome....again.

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I maintain a deficit of 600-1000 calories a day.

This is where I see the problem. Your deficit is way too high. You are burning in excess of 3000 cals a day, but you are only eating 2000-2400? Your body is still not getting enough food, and thats why the fat loss is not happening. Your body is still starving for the metabolic healing, and its holding on to every last pound of fat you have because there isnt enough energy in the food it needs.

While I am very glad to hear your Doc(?) is on board with eating more, and has pushed you to eat a lot more than most ever do with their clients, but still, the numbers are still not high enough.
    If you ask me, you would greatly benefit from a metabolism reset.
    Below is a link to our Welcome to EM2WL post, which contains links to our Starter Kit, and our Metabolism reset guide. Id highly suggest reading through these.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10430416/welcome-to-em2wl-start-here#latest

Your doc is definitely on the right path and Im so glad you have followed that advice. However, your body is still crying out for more energy. So I would suggest eating at your maintenance level which is about 3000 cals for a while and give your metabolism the chance to heal. Then when the time comes to cut, you make a small cut, no more than 20% is what we suggest, which for you would mean eating ABOVE 2400. I woudl even say make your cut 5-10% when you begin. You can always cut more later, but give your body the most food it can have when cutting.

This is a very long process, healing metabolism, and based on your history prior to this Doctor, you have likely been on the diet bandwagon for many years, gaining and losing gaining and losing, so your body isnt ready to believe you are really and truly not going to turn around and "starve" it again with a diet plan. This would be my concern with this new dietician, as many of them believe in the 1200 cal "Plans" which do soooo much more harm than good.

Just remember this:
    I am thrilled so far...because I am getting "results" for the first time in a decade...
    YOU are happy where you are at now. So dont let any of them tell you what you are doing is wrong, or incorrect. The process just needs some tweaking, which in my opinion, means your body needs more food. I do hope you read through the links above and hopefully it will help you out
    Any questions just let us know

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Kelly.
    Your body would benefit so much from an extended period at maintenance. Then when you are ready to cut, the fast loss will come much easier.
    I was totally guilty of the same thing as you describe here. I increased my calories to way more than I thought was ever possible (2600-2800) but was burning way more so I was still in too big a deficit.
    I increased again and again over a period of a few months, until now, my cut number is 3000 calories.
    And yes, fat loss is slow! That is why it is easier to maintain especially when coupled with building lean body mass.
    Weight loss is fast, fat loss is slow.
    It takes a while to re-condition our thinking to come round to this. And don't under emphasise the joy you are getting from the results so far. You are totally on the right path.
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    trinty425 wrote: »
    We use a BodPod machine every month to accurately see my RMR and body composition.

I'm sure you are aware, but just want to point out.

Bodpod is giving you a good bodyfat % calculation.

It is NOT giving you an RMR measurement at all.

The BF% is merely used in a formula that gives an RMR estimate - probably Nelson (badly underestimates) or Cunningham (better).

Now - while that formula using BF%, instead of formula's using age, gender, height, weight, can be more accurate - it's still an estimate.

And if your body has slowed your daily burn down because of undereating - that would never be known by plugging BF% into formula for RMR or BMR.

That being said - if you got it - it is a better estimate to start off with in case you have lost Lean Body Mass from prior dieting attempts. There could be a 150-250 calorie difference.
    But if the Bodpod printout isn't being clear about where the RMR came from, and the likely suggested TDEE (if they didn't ask your activity levels and workouts - ignore the TDEE then), then double-check it yourself.