Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I really need to learn to make my own yogurts. The regular isn't too bad, but greeyo is stupid expensive, especially when you're like me and can eat a tub of each on a daily basis. O_O

It's made worse by the fact that my current macro setup for maintenance seeking is 45/45/10. It takes a lot of damned nonfat yogurt to fill in kcals. A whole tub of the regular stuff is only about 450 kcals. It's a good thing I've learned to be creative with mix-ins.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I really need to learn to make my own yogurts. The regular isn't too bad, but greeyo is stupid expensive, especially when you're like me and can eat a tub of each on a daily basis. O_O

I have very carefully avoided doing the math to figure out whether making my own Greek yogurt is cost effective or not since I make long-fermented yogurt for its specific health benefits. I begin with eight cups of milk and one cup of commercial yogurt (as a starter) and end up with between four and five cups of finished product, depending on how long I let it drain. Obviously Mr. Chobani isn't paying grocery store prices for his ingredients so the Greek yogurt you buy in the store may be no more expensive than what you make at home.

I make a batch every other day and have lamented to my husband that it's a shame zoning laws and Homeowner Association covenants forbid us from keeping a cow in the back yard.