My MIL is panicking about Christmas

Options
sarahthes
sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
About how to feed me, basically.

She and my FIL subsist mainly on raw veggies/salad (good) with just vinegar as dressing (bad), pasta and lentils/beans. Meat is infrequent and tends to be extremely low fat cuts. They have cut out cheese and eggs. They only eat fat free dairy and they butter their bread with margarine. This is due to one of them still not tolerating fat well after gallbladder surgery a year ago and the other having high cholesterol combined with a dairy fat intolerance (it gives lactose intolerance/IBS type symptoms).

They don't even keep chocolate in the house.

I told my MIL that I will bring a few things to suplement what she makes. I am thinking some of the LC Costco protein bars and making sure there is whipping cream for my instant coffee (they don't drink coffee and don't have a coffee maker... sigh...).

Any other suggestions? They do keep some cheese as it's the only dairy fat my FIL can tolerate.

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    It is so nice to see they care about you! Pretty nice for in-laws!!??
  • Cracks67
    Cracks67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How about jars of nuts to snack on. If you are going to Costco - they have a container of roasted Macadamia nuts that are delicious. I would bring my own cheese too.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Offer to cook some dishes that you and your hubby will eat. They can eat it if they want to, and just eat some of their veggies or something like that.

That may bring her stress level down.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I agree with samantha... bring some roasted turkey and pumpkin-cream cheese muffins and reassure her that you will be celebrating with the PEOPLE, not the food. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Those do sound like nice in-laws. :) I have the same problem when entertaining my MIL and her SO. They are vegetarian and we have a gluten-free house (celiacs) with not a lot of nuts (a tree nut allergy) and a lot of meat. LOL I feel for you. ;)

It sounds like you have a good plan. Bring extras for yourself. You are staying with them? When I travel I bring instant coffee (theirs is too weak for me so I slip some mix into my cup LOL) some coconut oil in a jar for coffee, pepperoni sticks, and hard boiled eggs. I also put out nuts to share (or just for you in this case) and bring veggies with fatty dips. I also bring butter (because the bread crumb in the butter is enough to make me ill for a few weeks) and use that on all of my meats and veggies.

I tend to bring some food dishes too. Perhaps you could prepare some dishes and leave any fatty sauces on the side. Like brussel sprouts and cheese sauce? Bringing food to share, for you and hubby, is acceptable I think. Also, LCHF coconut flour or almond flour (sugar free) baking would be good to share. Muffins or desserts.

Worst case scenario, you hog the dark turkey meat and beans all to yourself. ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It's nice she is interested in accommodating your foods choices. If it were me heading to my Mom's or MIL's home for the weekend I'd either just give them a short list of food or get it myself before arrival or during the visit.

My list would be: decaf, HWC, eggs, butter, full fat cheese, canned/packaged tuna, deli or packaged lunch meat, a bottle of full fat dressing. I'm not a fan of bottled dressings but when in a pinch, they're adequate. I could make due with that and Mom's/MIL's vegetables/occasional meat for a few days.

If I were doing my own shopping, I'd add stevia, mascarpone, cream cheese. Maybe nuts and seeds but maybe not cuz...carbs in the vegetables Mom likes to make. Some boullion cubes, a jar of dill pickles, some tea bags and a bottle of Mio with stevia. My diet doesn't need to involve extraordinary recipes every day. At home, I cook all the time but when elsewhere I just need food for fuel/nourishment/hunger.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I love those mozzarella sticks wrapped with spicy salami and usually grab those when I visit places where I'm unsure of food choices. Also heavy cream for coffee and tea!
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bake some keto bread e.g. flax foccacia, almond muffins, coconut pancakes. Do you and they eat fish? Smoked salmon?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    These are all good ideas with one glaring exception. The last time I bought a giant container of Costco macadamia nuts, my husband and I stuffed those things into our chubby little cheeks like two squirrels in a bird feeder. I learned my lesson there.

I suggest black pepper pistachios. The spice and having to shell them helps you limit your portions.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    About how to feed me, basically.

She and my FIL subsist mainly on raw veggies/salad (good) with just vinegar as dressing (bad), pasta and lentils/beans. Meat is infrequent and tends to be extremely low fat cuts. They have cut out cheese and eggs. They only eat fat free dairy and they butter their bread with margarine. This is due to one of them still not tolerating fat well after gallbladder surgery a year ago and the other having high cholesterol combined with a dairy fat intolerance (it gives lactose intolerance/IBS type symptoms).

They don't even keep chocolate in the house.

I told my MIL that I will bring a few things to supplement what she makes. I am thinking some of the LC Costco protein bars and making sure there is whipping cream for my instant coffee (they don't drink coffee and don't have a coffee maker... sigh...).

Any other suggestions? They do keep some cheese as it's the only dairy fat my FIL can tolerate.

Bringing along "out to eat" supplements is a great idea!

I don't know why it took my feeble brain so long to realize this, but eventually I got in the habit of keeping my MIL's lovely Samsonite make-up case in my car with some basics and whatever I think I'll need to stay sane.... YMMV, but, depending where I'm going, I'll take small containers of:
    • Hot sauce
    • Liquid stevia blend
    • Spices (maybe cinnamon, turmeric...)
    • Vanilla extract
    • Avocado oil (to match the luggage)
    • Olives
    • Nuts
    • Coconut flakes
    • Gin/vodka/whiskey
    • HWC (poss. in a small styrofoam cooler with cheese, mascarpone, etc).

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg0.etsystatic.com%2F069%2F0%2F6329325%2Fil_570xN.818375904_kxm5.jpg&f=1

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, vintage luggage, mid century modern, lol. I also have a very heavy, red with black trim, train case for 'makeup' from the days when you could take unlimited pieces of free luggage and there was no 50lb weight restriction. The fact that it's a "train case" tells you how old it is. I can't take it on any flight... just on a car trip (or perhaps on the Orient Express - part of my bucket list).
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I agree with samantha... bring some roasted turkey and pumpkin-cream cheese muffins and reassure her that you will be celebrating with the PEOPLE, not the food. :)

Ummm...if those are on plan, please share the recipe!
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options

EXACTLY!!!!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options

Thanks!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that they're so supportive! If you're driving there, I would just pop to the store and get something simple that doesn't require cooking, some salami, prosciutto, cheese.. so that you have some fat and protein to go with your raw veggies. Or maybe just ask them to borrow their car to pop to the store of you're flying.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to making and eating them!!