OMAD to Me

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    sun_cat wrote: »
    So, here I am. I find I don't want to leave this group. Can I stay even if I have 2MAD? o:)

Of course :)

That is great news.
  • DebSozo
    Nope. I did not eat or drink a thing outside my eating window. I have a special event coming up, so I've been very strict with myself. I am not a 'snacker' - even the sound of that word is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. And to be honest, I really enjoyed fasting, if that doesn't sound weird :)

When you only have 20 pounds to lose it gets much more difficult, and goes slower. You haven't been on OMAD long. It took two weeks for my body to adjust to the changes. Also I did it by slowly closing the window between the 2MAD.

• DebSozo
    OMADing1 how are you working your 4 hour window? What exactly do you mean? You eat your one meal at any time during the 4 hours? Or do you actually eat 2MAD within 4 hours?
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Don't give it ....it takes a little bit to get accustomed to the shorter feeding window. Stay the course and you will lose.
  • sun_cat
    sun_cat Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for all the support. I am not giving up. I'm going to put my scale away (It messes with my head) and just focus on eating right during the eating hours, and extending the not-eating hours a bit at a time.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Thanks for all the support. I am not giving up. I'm going to put my scale away (It messes with my head) and just focus on eating right during the eating hours, and extending the not-eating hours a bit at a time.

Hello Sun: I'm glad you're not giving up. That's a great plan and you will get there. You're not alone.

I put my scales away too. Sometimes it can play with the mind as you're finding out. When I feel I'm putting all the emphasis on a number on the scale, I know it's time to put it under the bed for a while. It always works for me and helps me get back to thinking about the program instead of my weight.
  • sun_cat
    Exactly. Attitude is so important, and the scale messes with mine. I just want to focus on consistently doing what I need to do day after day. The results are sure to follow.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Exactly. Attitude is so important, and the scale messes with mine. I just want to focus on consistently doing what I need to do day after day. The results are sure to follow.

Absolutely!
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    I put my scales away too. Sometimes it can play with the mind as you're finding out. When I feel I'm putting all the emphasis on a number on the scale, I know it's time to put it under the bed for a while. It always works for me and helps me get back to thinking about the program instead of my weight.

This was such a wise thing you said, I need to keep this in mind!

Sun_cat - I hope you're doing okey, it sounds like you're on the right track. Sending some glittering winter hugs from a chilly Sweden! <3

• DebSozo
    Anneli_F wrote: »

Sun_cat - I hope you're doing okey, it sounds like you're on the right track. Sending some glittering winter hugs from a chilly Sweden! <3

That method doesn't work for me as I gain during the time the scales are put away, but if it works for you then great! It would stress me out to get back on the scale and find the number higher-- which has been my prior experience. I find it facinating that some people lose when not watching the scale. Evidently there are more than I realized.

My grandma weighed 120 pounds her whole life. She was able to fit into dresses from when she was a young woman. She taught me to weigh every day and back off on portions when I saw a little increase. This worked for a number of years, and I stayed a nice size. Then I stopped weighing and gained weight. So that is why I want to keep an eye on weight creep and nip it in the bud.

As others mentioned, everyone is different. When I avoid the scale it is because I can tell I gained weight and am afraid to face it. But now I will weigh even when I'm not happy with the weight so I can get the numbers back down. It can be corrected within a week. I'm a pro at maintenance. I have difficulty losing weight. This is a conundrum. If I could just get rid of these last pounds I know I could keep them off on maintenance. My body forms strong set points.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Is it dark all day right now in Sweden? The days are short in the USA. It gets dark early. I can't wait for the changeover from shorter to longer Sunlight days!
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Is it dark all day right now in Sweden? The days are short in the USA. It gets dark early. I can't wait for the changeover from shorter to longer Sunlight days!

Not all day where I live ( Dalarna, almost half way up through Sweden) but from 3pm to 9am it's dark. During the day the sun barely shows itself, it passes just a bit over the horizon and doesn't rise much higher. Not the best for getting the D-vitamins you need, most people takes extra.

I can totally see your point about the scales. I used it like you do when I was younger and lighter. It's just when one is so much heavier, like me, it becomes a stress moment. For me it's better to focus on getting the hang of OMAD and to make it a daily routine, no matter what my scales say. I don't want to be discouraged this early in the process.

When one is so close to the target weight or even on it I belive it's a good thing to keep an eye on it to be able to make small corrections directly. We have a saying in Sweden, "mota Olle i grind" ( stop Olle(a name) at the gate ) which means to stop something right away before it becomes a problem. Best way to do it :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member

That method doesn't work for me as I gain during the time the scales are put away, but if it works for you then great! It would stress me out to get back on the scale and find the number higher-- which has been my prior experience. I find it facinating that some people lose when not watching the scale. Evidently there are more than I realized.

My grandma weighed 120 pounds her whole life. She was able to fit into dresses from when she was a young woman. She taught me to weigh every day and back off on portions when I saw a little increase. This worked for a number of years, and I stayed a nice size. Then I stopped weighing and gained weight. So that is why I want to keep an eye on weight creep and nip it in the bud.

As others mentioned, everyone is different. When I avoid the scale it is because I can tell I gained weight and am afraid to face it. But now I will weigh even when I'm not happy with the weight so I can get the numbers back down. It can be corrected within a week. I'm a pro at maintenance. I have difficulty losing weight. This is a conundrum. If I could just get rid of these last pounds I know I could keep them off on maintenance. My body forms strong set points.

In addition to wanting to know early what my weight is doing so it doesn't creep up on me, I weigh every day because my weight can vary up to a couple of lbs day-to-day depending if I ate a lunch or not or if I ate something very salty for dinner. I think with women water fluctuations would be worse due to those factors and the monthly cycle thing. If a person weighs infrequently and it happens to be at the peak of some water retention, that could really freak someone out whereas the next day or two they might be a couple of lbs lighter. Just my preference but people should do individually what is going to work best for them. If you weigh infrequently and it is high, weigh again for the next couple of days to make sure it isn't just water retention would be my advise.
  • DebSozo

Not all day where I live ( Dalarna, almost half way up through Sweden) but from 3pm to 9am it's dark. During the day the sun barely shows itself, it passes just a bit over the horizon and doesn't rise much higher. Not the best for getting the D-vitamins you need, most people takes extra.

I can totally see your point about the scales. I used it like you do when I was younger and lighter. It's just when one is so much heavier, like me, it becomes a stress moment. For me it's better to focus on getting the hang of OMAD and to make it a daily routine, no matter what my scales say. I don't want to be discouraged this early in the process.

When one is so close to the target weight or even on it I belive it's a good thing to keep an eye on it to be able to make small corrections directly. We have a saying in Sweden, "mota Olle i grind" ( stop Olle(a name) at the gate ) which means to stop something right away before it becomes a problem. Best way to do it :)

Yes. AKA "nip it in the bud"
  • DebSozo
    blambo61 wrote: »

In addition to wanting to know early what my weight is doing so it doesn't creep up on me, I weigh every day because my weight can vary up to a couple of lbs day-to-day depending if I ate a lunch or not or if I ate something very salty for dinner. I think with women water fluctuations would be worse due to those factors and the monthly cycle thing. If a person weighs infrequently and it happens to be at the peak of some water retention, that could really freak someone out whereas the next day or two they might be a couple of lbs lighter. Just my preference but people should do individually what is going to work best for them. If you weigh infrequently and it is high, weigh again for the next couple of days to make sure it isn't just water retention would be my advise.

Yes. It is personal preference, of course. --and situational
  • SavedByGrace26356

I can't wait until the daylight is longer. I always feel I need to put on my pajamas when I get home from work. I'm not as productive during this time.
  • SavedByGrace26356

I agree with you. I focus on the weight loss when I'm not worrying about the scale. Since I have a lot of weight to lose and have a ways to go before I get near goal this works for me. When I get closer to goal then I will weigh myself more so I can make sure what I'm eating isn't over what my body can handle. Once I learn that then I will weigh every couple of weeks until I know how much I can eat without gaining.
  • sun_cat
    Ah, the sunshine. Only a few more days and it will start back to us. I am counting the days :) Today we woke to about 6 inches of new snow on the ground, and a daytime high of 3F.

Thank you for the winter greetings from Sweden! I never made it to Sweden, though I have been to Denmark and Norway.
  • sun_cat
    Hi all! Been away for a while ...literally. We've been on vacation, but headed back in two days so I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. Will check in when I'm back home.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Hi Sun_Cat...welcome back!