"Fake news" regarding food: discussion of the day

steve0mania
steve0mania Posts: 3,088 Member
There's recently been a lot of discussion on the news and elsewhere about "fake news." My FB feed is full of this stuff, and if I weren't a skeptic by nature and believed even half of what I read, I'd have a pretty crazy world-view.

Back in the day, the old GOAD WW board was known for its no bullsh*t approach. When someone would post something about not eating past 8 pm, or starvation mode, or some other magical thinking, they would get severely smacked-down (sometimes to the point of flouncing from the board).

It's my impression that food-related "fake-news" proceeded political fake-news. It was those food-related fake-news stories (in magazines like Men's Health and elsewhere) that seemed to drive a lot of magical thinking.

My question for the day: how much food-related fake news do you see these days? How do you separate the "real" information from the "fake" info? Have you ever followed something that you read about food/eating/weight-loss, that you later realized was indeed fake? Tell us your interesting story if you have one.

Discuss...

Replies

• beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Ha! Strange you should mention this today. Just saw a "news" article that implied that researchers have found that drinking skim milk causes weight gain. My immediate thought was, "It probably has more to do with the fact that you're putting that skim milk on high-sugar cereal. Or using it along with a stick (or two) of butter to make make mashed potatoes.

I'm sure I've followed some things in the past related to food/weight-loss that weren't true. I can't think of one specifically right now. Maybe after I've had my coffee :)
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    I occasionally look around MFP threads and see dieting discussions that bring back my educational phase with GoaDs. I see the new fads discussed and know that people just want a "magic bullet" that will be the answer to losing weight.

There is no easy, fast, way to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF (IMHO).
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

There is no easy, fast, way to lose weight and KEEP IT OFF (IMHO).

Well, amputation comes to mind.

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    edited November 2016
    But there is no doubt fake news is prevalent. It's very difficult to sort out. My impression is that the basic tenets are unchanged (calories in/calories out) and anything else that comes along is, at best, a tweak. And at worst, downright unhealthy. So I read all this stuff with intense skepticism.

Perhaps bordering on cynicism.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,491 Member
    Ha! Strange you should mention this today. Just saw a "news" article that implied that researchers have found that drinking skim milk causes weight gain. My immediate thought was, "It probably has more to do with the fact that you're putting that skim milk on high-sugar cereal. Or using it along with a stick (or two) of butter to make make mashed potatoes.

I'm sure I've followed some things in the past related to food/weight-loss that weren't true. I can't think of one specifically right now. Maybe after I've had my coffee :)

Yoni addressed that on FB this morning. As usual he kicked their "research" down the road.
    http://www.weightymatters.ca/2016/11/guest-post-skim-milk-makes-kids-fat-or.html
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    I don't see it often largely because I am not big on social media. I get my news from multiple sources and I too am a skeptic at heart and do not believe much of what I read until I feel I have fully educated myself, if it is a topic of I want to pursue further.

I did follow the "low fat" myth way back in the day, it did not work very well. I also followed Atkins/Low Carb for a short time, it worked OK but I felt like crap so I stopped.

I used to be a big consumer of food related news, and I came to the conclusion most things will work if you follow the guidelines, but many of those approaches are challenging and not a long term solution, admittedly it took some time for me to get there and I would always feel bad for not jumping on board with a concept, because it seemed to hard.

I am thankful I figured it out and stopped reading the fake news.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    The forums here are rife with misinformation. I read through them sometimes and am absolutely amazed that people are still using weight loss strategies that have been debunked for over a decade.

I think it's largely because nutrition is not a subject that is taught in the schools or in many homes so many people are left to fend for themselves in the wilderness that is the internet.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,530 Member
    First, I like at the source. Then, I try to gauge what I've just read against all the other nutritional information I've read for consistency. Plus, if you read enough material, you can see keywords and phrases indicating an issue with what is being said. Think "amazing results," for example.

Probably the most important thing - to which Steve alluded - is to approach everything with a skeptical mind.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    I'm skeptical by nature so I can't recall anything that popped up in my Facebook feed regarding nutrition that changed what I do on a daily basis. Actually much of what gets shared about so called miracle foods sounds totally unappetizing to this very picky eater. I roll my eyes a lot at recipe claims that "this to die for" "you must try this" "the best ever...".

Pre-Facebook I got suckered into trying some special protein powder that was supposed to help curb your appetite. It didn't. There was also the vial of some scented oil that was also supposed to be an appetite suppressant. It did smell good but had no effect on appetite.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,146 Member
    GLUTEN-FREE is another good example. The original author of the study promulgating the mostly myth has since recanted his research. Then some folks in order to promote research came up with the concept of it being FODMAPs and not gluten per se. Well I think just about" everybody" knows or has heard of many of us being sensitive to cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cabbage. Kinda a big" so what?" for me. Yes there are a few true celiac folks out there but most of us don't have an issue with it.

Some of the sugar/carb stuff is greatly exaggerated as fake news too. Sure in the absence of activity we can get high blood sugar spikes and falls. That can be reduced by diet OR also by every day activity exceeding 10K walking equivalent for three or more days in a row.
  • podkey
    Oh and as for the "wheat belly" myth??? Yeah it is partially the gluten in that gigundo pizza and partially the extra 3500 calories per day. Go figure.
  • misterhub
    I always had a problem with the whole gluten-free fad. Serious, mocking problem.

Then, one day, my daughter - who suffers from very serious, diagnosed celiac and a whole host of related issues - said to me, "I am glad there is a fad. It means there are products on the grocery shelf that I can buy. Without the fad, my life would be a whole lot more problematic."

I shut up about it after that.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    The mythical "one weird trick" might be hard wired into our DNA. Someone should do a study.
  • podkey
    I totally agree with ya Greg. I have tasted some exceptional gluten-free products that I have thoroughly enjoyed that wouldn't be around otherwise. I am always glad to have choices.
    Sorry to hear about your daughter.
    I too have a friend who seems to do much better by reducing her gluten intake.

Oh and another food thing out there is the whole dairy thing. Turns out that well over 80% of the planet does not drink milk and does just fine in general.
  • beachwoman2006
    Oh I forgot...ANYTHING Dr. Oz pushes!
  • misterhub
    So, when Dr. Oz says I should move to NC and eat chocolate, I should ignore him, right?

;-)
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,491 Member
    Ma daughter, my ex-daughter-in-law, and an ex-step granddaughter, have diagnosed celiac, and they too are happy with the current "glut" of gluten free products.
  • podkey
    Love it.
  • beachwoman2006
    misterhub wrote: »
    So, when Dr. Oz says I should move to NC and eat chocolate, I should ignore him, right?

;-)

If you ever hear him say anything remotely close to THAT, please let me know :)