LC Vegetarians

Options
Where my low-carb vegetarians at? Please, I could use some fellow bacon-free people to bemoan the carb-heavy 'standard' vegetarian fare. What do you eat? How do you make it work?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally vegetarian as I do eat some seafood, but mostly vegetarian...lots of eggs, nuts, cheese, and plenty of veggies, just not the starchy ones...

lunch today - boiled eggs and wasabi mayo, avocado and cottage cheese...dinner today will probably be caesar salad and smoked oysters...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    We have a couple vegetarians around here. Not as active as some of the rest of us it seems.
    You will find support from the rest of us though if you can look past the bacon talk. Lol
    Since I'm pretty much carnivore with vegetable being more of a garnish on my plate, I don't have any recipes really.
    I tend to just sauté veggies in butter, coconut oil or red palm oil or steam them and drizzle on olive oil. I like simple.

I think avocado, coconut, coconut and red palm oil, olive oil and volumes of green veggies will be your friend. :smile:
    I just saw a recipe for a copycat Panera broccoli and cheese soup that is probably low carb without even altering the recipe. Sorry I don't have a link. My daughter shared it on facebook.
    If you eat dairy and eggs, you should find it fairly easy to be low carb, but I know some actually do it as vegans too.
    Anyway, as far as ideas for satisfying meals go, Pinterest will be immensely helpful to you.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'll have a look for the soup, my wife loves broccoli cheese soup (really just the combination of anything with cheese).

I am way too addicted to Pinterest. I did that this this weekend where you try to make something you saw on Pinterest and it turns out just horribly.

I love the general vibe in this group! Y'all just make me crave too much bacon lol.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I made this over the weekend...actually made it twice because we liked it so much. With veggie broth instead of chicken :)

http://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/broccoli-cheese-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    I made this over the weekend...actually made it twice because we liked it so much. With veggie broth instead of chicken :)

http://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/broccoli-cheese-soup-low-carb-gluten-free/

Looks good. My wife is not LC and she is a vegetarian (making dinner interesting for more than 20 years). This looks like something we could both eat and enjoy. Thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just found an interesting article about zinc. It would suggest that any vegetarian and vegan need to take care to get enough zinc. They suffes grains and legumes, specifically prepared as the best sources. Since low carb V's don't eat any or much of those things, supplementing zinc may be a very good idea.
    https://experiencelife.com/article/zinc-essentials/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @RedfootDaddy -
    Someone here recommended a great resource - veganhealth.org - which has a ton of great info on how to get essential amino acids, minerals, etc., that are relatively scarce in vegetarian diets.

It's a wee bit trickier on LCV, but it can be done with judicious use of your carb allotment.

Good luck - and please send tips our way!
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was mostly vegan prior to going LCHF. My carb intake was between 60 - 120 grams a day. I have inflammation all over and read about a Keto diet. Vegetarian meal plans were offered by several sites including Ketodiet blog. There is pesto egg cup recipie on her site that sounded so good! Worked my way back into cheese and eggs and seafood if we eat out. I found it was much more difficult to wrap my head around eating a bunch of fat than it was to find great tasting vegetarian Keto food to prepare and eat. Currently I eat spinach, some zucchini Brussels sprouts or cauliflower, cream, butter/ghee, avocado oil, mct oil coconut oil cheese eggs and nuts. There are some terrific Pesto,s (macadamia nut/basil in ketodiet blog, a walnut basil pesto by Maria emmerich), I really rely on my Pestos using them to dress salads, in with some eggs.... I have experimented with souls bread and other low carb breads. My current obsession are these pumpkin muffins (almond flour, eggs, pumpkin, pumpkin spice). I also make PB fat bombs. I breathe I'm hungry has an amazing fettuccine alfredo recipie, ketodiet blog the best low carb veggie lasagna I've tried. Really just type in "vegetarian Keto recipies" and you will get lots,of,options.

In the beginning I made lots of different recipies which helped get me started. Now (5 months later) I am not as hungry or craving things so I basically eat the same things everyday. That being said I am totally confident knowing that if I do have a hankering there will be a Keto vegetarian version I can find online. Good luck!!
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @baconslave, thanks for all the links! I thought I had read the stickies more thoroughly than that. *dives down reddit rabbithole*

@ksullivan2050 Could I add you as a friend to take a peek at your food diary?
  • ksullivan2050
    ksullivan2050 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes no problem - it's pretty boring!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's not too hard, if you like eggs and cheese, to make low carb work without meat. If you like to cook, there are a lot of great recipes out there. You probably have already searched for "low-carb vegetarian" recipes, but you might also try "gluten-free vegetarian." The recipes without gluten usually tend to be lower in carbs.