Like Minded Lushes - December 2016

Options

Replies

• SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yvonne...good to see you. Wish you were feeling better and I'm sorry about your fridge!!
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yvonne-you poor thing, don't push it!!!
    SYdney, since you are the group expert on tamales :laugh:-our neighbor gave us some tamales (uncooked), she advised to steam them seam down for 90mins.....I do not have a steam basket....what do I do ;)

Well, only managed one 0 this week....
    Monday-0
    Tuesday-2 sprite/vodkas
    Wednesday-3 beers
    Thursday-Manhattans, maybe??!!!!

We don't have any real plans for the holiday. Friday, we are going to see Star Wars. Saturday, beach in the morning and then pierogis and borscht for dinner. Sunday, we are going to walk to the aquarium. We are off Monday so we will be making a mash for the beer we are brewing next weekend...BORING, but so not stressful :bigsmile:
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    90 minutes? That seems way too long. I'd say 45-60 min....and that's for a lot of them. Do you have an old aluminum pie tin? I use that...turn it upside down and poke holes in it. Or use aluminum foil...poke holes in that and place loosely on bottom. Put some water on the bottom of your pan and place pie tin or foil on top then tamales on top of that standing up-right. The holes will provide the steam. Enjoy! :)
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Thanks Syd......ok we only have 4. HOW IN THE HECK do I get them to stand upright? :laugh:

Monday-0
    Tuesday-2
    Wednesday-3
    Thursday-3
    Movies tonight=at least 5 beers and probably one when we get home.

I hope you all have an HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Holiday!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!! :drinker:
  • SoCalWoman
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Haha...if you only have 4 I wouldn't worry about it. Standing upright is more for cooking dozens at a time so they all cook evenly. Just don't pile them on top of each other..try to spread them out. And 45 minutes is probably enough time....good grief 90 minutes would kill them. You can microwave them to reheat too. What are they filled with, do you know?
    I'm about to get the wine out. I finished setting the table and made a cheesecake. I'm going to make the sauce for my meatballs, blanch the greenbeans and make some salsa. That's about all I can do ahead of time before the big dinner tomorrow.
    Hope everyone has a great holiday....whether you're on the naughty or nice list!! >:)o:):drinker:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    sc973yy9mzf8.jpg
    New fridge arrived got the essential supplies in there
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Wishing all my Lushes a Merry Christmas!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I hope you all had a great Christmas! We had a nice 4 days off work. We relaxed, saw Christmas lights underground, visited with Grandma and Grandpa, hung out with neighbors, and yesterday during our record high day (74) after Christmas, walked a ton and had some drinks. Of course there have been drinks every day. But I did OK. Back to work today, off tomorrow, work part of the day Thursday and then off for another four days. My parents will be here Thursday to do Christmas and staying through New Years. Which mean there is no point in stopping now.....

Mon - 6
    This is actually good since I made us a drink for the walk around noon. I went to bed at 10 and even did yoga this morning at 5:45!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    I'll sleeping under my desk if you need me :wink:

Weekend was awesome, too short, too much drinking, too much food.......can't wait to do it again :laugh:

I should dry out for a few days but I make no promises!!!!

xo
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    I've been carb loading more than drinking. The scale is not my friend.

Need to start gearing up for New Years Eve. Hosting about 12 of us. Still figuring out what the menu will be.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. I'm ready for 2017
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Still figuring out the menu...I'm so OCD about party planning I would have been done by October :laugh:

Tuesday-2 bourbon cocktails
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    Mon - 6
    Tues - 1.5 mules. I've been putting 3 dashes of bitters in mine. So good.
    Wed - finished the mule and had 2.5 ciders and a glass of wine.
    My parents arrive this afternoon which means we will be drinking a lot of wine.

So I am committed to the tamales. Eric arranged an impromptu New Years get together at the house. It was just going to be my parents and us, and I was going to make the tamales and half the recipe. Now we have 7 more adults and 3 kids. They're close friend so if I screw up, no biggie. :)

This is the recipe I am using.
    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chicken-tamales-verdes

I'm excited.
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    Good luck with the tamales! I've never made chicken ones but that sounds good.

We're going to have clams and tri tip for new years eve along with plenty of sides and appetizers. I used to stress about it all Kate, but in my old age I've kinda got it down. And I think I've lost my "it must be perfect" gene that used to make me crazy. :p
    I had one glass of wine but continue to eat crap. I feel like a blob :/
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Tuesday-2
    Wednesday-3 vodka/sprites
    Thursday-it will surely continue!
  • ryzeman
    Options
    I am doing a great job getting ready for the new year. Getting some extra pounds put on! Bah!
  • kblue2007
    Options
    Same Gary! I haven't weighed BUT I can tell I am a little puffy. That's ok. Len and I said we are going out with a bang. I am looking forward to January and getting back into a routine!

Tuesday-2
    Wednesday-3
    Thursday-2 1/2 beers and 1 bourbon on the rocks.

We are going to a retirement party tonight. It's only 2 hours, so I shouldn't do too much damage.
    Tomorrow, we are walking to the aquarium. Sunday, brewing and hopefully Monday binge watching Breaking Bad :bigsmile:

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    The husband has managed to catch a bug, so not sure how festive my party is going to be. Everyone just seems ready for 2016 to end.
  • ryzeman
    Options
    See ya all in 2017. Good riddance 2016!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Options
    My Mom is sick in bed too. :( I've started the tamales anyways! I came in to read Sydney's tips again. Happy New Year lashes!
  • SoCalWoman
    Options
    FB_IMG_1483121117237.jpg