Blog post discussing why you might not be losing weight on low carb or keto. Not the usual suspects

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
This covers some in depth science about why you may be able to initially release fat from the cell but that is not the same as burning (oxidizing) the fat which is what will create the fat reduction.
There are many working parts to the process and it could come down to various deficiencies

I just found this info and don't know anything more about it but it does seem interesting and I may check into it further at some point but I thought others might be interested too.

This link takes you to page 2 of the post. The first page covered all the basics we all know already. Ok, maybe some need to reminder of those basics sometimes, but those things are well covered here already so I skipped you guys ahead to the information that was new to me.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/12/why-not-losing-weight-2.html

Replies

• klaak
    klaak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is a great site, thank you!!! Coincidentally I was reading the thyroid post last night :) I take supplements, but maybe since I'm having a hard time I should bite the bullet and get a vitamin/mineral analysis done.
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have an advanced degree but I appreciate articles like this so much! This one describes processes in a way that can be visualized. I am a visual and hands-on learner so I love this approach to learning new things. I don't know if I really learned anything I didn't know before, but I have a whole new framework to describe things when discussing with others now.

Thank you @Sunny_Bunny_ for sharing!! :smiley:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My take away was continue to use plain old iodized salt and those Raw Kale Smoothies really are "Bad Juju" so I'll continue to stay away from those. :D
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great link. I now take PQQ to increase my mitochondrial quantity and quality.
  • GoChica
    GoChica Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight. It's wonderful to understand to the biological pathways for weight loss and disruptions that hinder weight loss.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. :)

::flowerforyou::
  • klaak
    klaak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great link. I now take PQQ to increase my mitochondrial quantity and quality.

^^ I had not heard of PQQ! I've started googling a bit on it and it sound like something I should try :smiley: What has your experience been like?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to read the whole article right now, but I hit the main points, and man, I think that is like reading about my life, why I did okay at first, but when it came to true fat burning, it just wasn't happening, and I think I've addressed about 80% of those deficiencies and am still working on it. I wonder if that means I really can go back and hard attempt keto again at some point... Wow, brain is going to have to mull this one over and re-read a few times. Thanks, @Sunny_Bunny_ for sharing.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Here is what is funny is that today's episode of Keto Talk actually had a question a bit more than half way through that ties into this nicely. It was about how some may get health benefits from keto, but they are not losing weight after the first month or two. I think Dr Nally does a good job explaining this.

http://ketotalk.com/

Side note is I accidentally figured out how to listen to podcasts at 1 1/2 speed on my phone, so I managed to get the whole episode in during lunch with time to spare.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    klaak wrote: »

^^ I had not heard of PQQ! I've started googling a bit on it and it sound like something I should try :smiley: What has your experience been like?
    klaak wrote: »

@klaak I learned about PQQ from a small book about preventing premature death. The more I read the more sense it it made in light of Dr. Thomas Seyfried's book Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer.

diagnosisdiet.com/what-causes-cancer/ This ia a good 4 part review of his book that I purchased for $125 and have read. It is more of a medical textbook yet I think this 4 part review is the best way to grasp his theory on the cause of cancer without a science background.

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3844930/ is technical in nature but talks about mitochondrial health importance.

lifeextension.com/magazine/2011/2/Generate-Fresh-Mitochondria-with-PQQ/Page-01

There are many resellers of PQQ. I happen to find the research on supplements by LifeExtention.com to be the most complete of any source in the industry and is why I used the above link for info on PQQ.

I have been off all sugar and all forms of grains for over two years now eating just under 50 grams of carbs most of the time and in just the first 30 days of eating this way I dropped my joint and muscle pain from a subjective pain level of 7-8 to 2-3. Since then with other supplements and walking 1/4 of a mile daily I have my pain level down to more like a 1 now.

PQQ makes sense in my mind to help me have a better chance of living to be 110. My health at 65 is better than it was at age 45 but I can not professionally state PQQ is key to my improving health. Giving up my carb addiction clearly is key to my improving health.

It just seems PQQ may be helpful and without known side effects. Best of success in your research on the subject. I plan to take PQQ daily for the rest of my life based on the info I have today.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. It is a good argument to go back to a higher CoQ10 dose, especially since I'm on a statin. I had cut the dose more recently, but suppose I should go back to a higher dose. I just wish there were more in here about figuring out what exactly that dose should be.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just saw an advert on some US TV station last night pushing the importance of additional quality CoQ10 esp. for anyone taking statins. Funny how it's on mainstream TV...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Those dang yanks....

I don't know if the blood test for CoQ10 is definitive (as it ain't for magnesium, for example....), but it's relatively cheap - in contrast to CoQ10 itself - and some docs will gleefully order periodic tests for B12 and CoQ10 if you're on statins and/or metformin.
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    "So, if you find yourself not losing any weight for a little while—or maybe gaining a couple of pounds—at the outset of transitioning to a higher-calorie, higher-fat & protein diet, and your dietary history fits the profile of the inadvertently starving female, thank your body for knowing what it’s doing. It is helping you. It is protecting you. It is making you healthy again. The fat will come off when there isn’t something physiologically more important to take care of first." (From Part 1 of the @Sunny_Bunny_ posted)

"…Aaaaand, because I can’t help myself, I’ve just decided that I will go ahead and explain the whys and wherefores of these nutrients, as they relate to burning fat—and, ultimately, losing weight.‘Cuz, really, you can’t lose weight without burning fat at the cellular level. (Screw the treadmill; it’s far more important what’s going on in your mitochondria." (From Part 2)

OMG!!!! The light has come on!! I gained about 6 pounds when I first started more low carb. When I dropped to under 50 gm carbs a day I've started losing again. Crazy thing (at least I thought so before I read the articles) when I am walking at a brisk pace 2 - 3 miles per day I'm not losing weight or at least my weight is yo-yoing. I have not exercised in 5 days and I'm down over 2 pounds! Apparently, I need to concentrate on letting my body adjust to LCHF before I do any type of intense exercise. I am already supplementing and feel much better!