Where is everyone from?

Options

Replies

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    OMG shorts and flip flops for me in that climate.... here is F sorry the one I just posted was C
    nst6wbdolvd2.png
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stop using the word "cold." Clearly it does not mean what I think it means.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stop using the word "cold." Clearly it does not mean what I think it means.

Oh my goodness this made me laugh!

• OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I live in Norway, Maine :)
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    cool! I've always wanted to go to Maine. My husband and I are hoping to make a trip next fall :)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options
    Awesome! I've lived here all my life. I love Norway because it is a small country town.
  • Snowdenfarm
    Snowdenfarm Posts: 84 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I am currently in SE Pennsylvania -- mild winters, beautiful falls and springs, very humid summers. It is unbelievably horsey here. I belong to three dressage clubs, there is a schooling show every week (except Dec/Jan/Feb), rated shows within driving distance at least every other week, horse professionals and establishments of all kinds abound. We have been here 8 years and I would love to stay forever, but my husband is looking to retire early and we will probably go back to Massachusetts where we raised our children and one still lives. Love Mass, just not nearly as horsey. I am from the midwest (southern WI) and have lived in CO, MI and ME. I have never been to WA or TX or AB -- my apologies as I have heard all three are beautiful and very horsey.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    I am currently in SE Pennsylvania -- mild winters, beautiful falls and springs, very humid summers. It is unbelievably horsey here. I belong to three dressage clubs, there is a schooling show every week (except Dec/Jan/Feb), rated shows within driving distance at least every other week, horse professionals and establishments of all kinds abound. We have been here 8 years and I would love to stay forever, but my husband is looking to retire early and we will probably go back to Massachusetts where we raised our children and one still lives. Love Mass, just not nearly as horsey. I am from the midwest (southern WI) and have lived in CO, MI and ME. I have never been to WA or TX or AB -- my apologies as I have heard all three are beautiful and very horsey.

I haven't been to Pennsylvania, but I've always wanted to go to that region (Buck's County!) because of all of the horsey opportunities that central Illinois sadly does not offer. One of my best friends is in Boston and has a really active group of horse friends :)
  • cessi0909
    Options

So I'm guessing you know cold
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I live in Pinellas Park, FL. 10 minutes away from the beach. Center of the state the peninsula in the peninsula on the west coast.

I love where I live. Horses, beach (no horses allowed) work and shopping all in one little area. Our city really supports the equestrians by maintaining trails, a couple of riding arenas and an obstacle course.

This weekend it is supposed to get "cold" 47 on Friday night. No worries though. The high on Saturday is 70 and Sunday will be back up to the mid 70s. Our longest cold spell lasted 2 weeks.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Sounds like horse heaven! It would be great to have such a strong horse community for shows learning and riding pals.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    Options
    cessi0909 wrote: »

So I'm guessing you know cold

ha ha yes I do!! It's so beautiful, that is the only reason I stick around.
  • Adhdvogeltj3
    Adhdvogeltj3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the only european in this group haha!
    I'm from the Netherlands, I live on the fringes of the city of Groningen, the capital of the province of... yes Groningen ( We apparently ran out of names for places :D ) It's the northern most province of the country but we still don't get weather like you do showjumper! Good god! How are you not a popsicle!?

I usually go to the barn by bike, it's about a 25 min bike ride through some lovely dutch farmland. :)
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    I guess I'm the only european in this group haha!
    I'm from the Netherlands, I live on the fringes of the city of Groningen, the capital of the province of... yes Groningen ( We apparently ran out of names for places :D ) It's the northern most province of the country but we still don't get weather like you do showjumper! Good god! How are you not a popsicle!?

I usually go to the barn by bike, it's about a 25 min bike ride through some lovely dutch farmland. :)
    Adhdvogeltj3, pictures please :smile: I so desperately want to travel to other countries, but don't have the money for that and horses ;) I'd love to see what your area looks like and hear all about it!

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This is how you walk a dog at -32C 57lmquu5gjc4.jpg
    aa4tywcymmtq.jpg
  • cessi0909
    Options
    @showjumper you are brave.
  • aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in a small town in western North Carolina. About 2 hours west of Asheville, and 2 hours west of Tryon.
    There is nothing here, horse related. There are some beautiful trails though. I have big plans to get a nice arena built, and set up a small jump field. I would love to have a CT here eventually; I would love to do a horse trial here, but not enough land. We have 14 acres, not enough for XC, unless someone knows some tricks they'd like to share! I'm really curious how many people would show up if I had something like that.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    bumping for anyone else who would like to introduce themselves :)
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm in Kansas City Missouri. Barn is a 15 min drive from my house. Lots of land around here but most of it is dedicated to cows, soybeans, and corn. Or real estate developers who get it rezoned for houses. Most folks ride Westerns. Those who ride English are Hunters/Jumpers. The Dressage community is small but has been active since before the USDF was organized.

Weather-wise we've got triple digit temps with 90+% humidity in the summer and below 0 with ice and snow in the winter. My trainer is from Denmark and says it is far colder here than there. I don't mind the cold or the snow but the ice is not fun. The pastures become too dangerous for the horses to be in even if the temps are ok for them.

We just went through a week of high temps in the single digits. Christmas day is expected to be a high of 60. Go figure.