Anyone doing Ketopia and/or MCT oil??

Options
I'm a newbie so I apologize now if this was already asked, can you tell me about your experience with either Ketopia or MCT oil? Please and thank you.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't know what ketopia is. I use a 100% caprylic acid MCT oil. It's MicKeyT8. I order it from amazon.
    It has 13.8g caprylic acid per tablespoon. I think that's around 5 times more than coconut oil can't remember.
    Anyway, I've been able to reduce my stimulant medication dosage for ADHD since adding it and ginkgo. Next doctor appointment I will be reducing it again. I think the boost of ketones makes a bigger difference than the ginkgo. But I like both together.
  • mayabrooks025
    mayabrooks025 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Sunny. I will google some information on the supplements you are taking. From what I watched on YouTube, Ketopia makes you go into ketosis in one hour. Not really sure if it is safe or not to go into ketosis so fast. Still researching. Thank you, again. xx
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have a neurological movement disorder and began eating keto for that reason. I have noted moderate benefit.

A few months ago, I decided to trial The MCT Oil Diet (used for epilepsy which allows a few more carbs). 30% of my fat calories (the MCT portion is based on calories, not grams) were required from MCT Oil which equated to 4-5 tablespoons per day (built up to that amount, quickly).

I observed no improvement. No negative or positive effects with MCT use for me. Carbs were still kept extremely low, not increased. I put it in coffee, used it on my salad, fried my burger in it and dumped the pan drippings on the beef patty, mixed it up into an occasional bit of full fat yogurt. Sometimes I'd just take a spoonful, like medicine.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I looked at the ketopia site. To me it seems like a waste of money. I just listened to a Livin La Vida Low Carb podcast at lunch which was from last week. It was the recording of a presentation given by a doctor regarding Alzheimer's and using MCT oil because it can raise ketone levels without adjusting carbs in your diet. In her husband's case, 40g of coconut oil in his oatmeal at breakfast was enough to get him up to a ketone level of 0.35 within 30-45 minutes. MCT oil comes from coconut oil. Given that result, using that much straight MCT oil and not pairing it with a bowl of carbs would probably raise it even further. A reading of 0.5 is considered being in ketosis. So, roughly 2 to 2 1/2 TB of MCT oil would do what the ketopia product claims at a whole heckuva lot lower price.

That was from episode 1188 with Dr. Mary Newport if you want to look it up yourself to get more info. It is over an hour long. I listened to it at 1 1/2 speed making it just over 40 minutes so I could get through it during my lunch.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/shownotes/15336/1188-dr-mary-newport-2016-metabolic-therapeutics-conference/
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! Such awesome information, I truly appreciate your help. I had really disappointing lab results and bottom line is I have to lose weight. I'm now being proactive and doing whatever it takes to lose this weight in a healthy matter. If I can add a supplement into my diet to assist will be awesome!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Also, Chris Kresser said in one of his podcasts how at 6-9 TB of MCT oil a day, many people can remain in ketosis at much higher levels of carbs - up to 100 g compared to the typical 20. I would take this as YMMV. He is not a keto guy. He is very much a proponent of there being no such thing as one size fits all. He was talking about getting into ketosis for a neurological issue in situations where dietary ketosis may not be as easy.

Also, I think the 20 g thrown around has to do with a standard of burning 2000 cal a day which may or may not be the caloric intake.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! Such awesome information, I truly appreciate your help. I had really disappointing lab results and bottom line is I have to lose weight. I'm now being proactive and doing whatever it takes to lose this weight in a healthy matter. If I can add a supplement into my diet to assist will be awesome!

If weight loss is the goal then MCT isn't going to make any difference UNLESS it enables you to eat less food overall.
    The presence of higher ketones alone without a diet change WILL NOT cause increased fat loss. The rise in ketones that you might see using MCT oil is 100% from burning the consumed MCT fats NOT from burning bodyfat.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? Often, if low carb or keto isn't working for someone to lose weight, assuming stress and healing aren't to blame, the explanation is eating too often/too much because all you hear all day is to constantly stuff your face with fat unlimited. That's not how fat loss works.
    Intermittent fasting is a game changer if you aren't already doing it.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    I'm doing 20g or less of carbs, 70g protein and remainder fat. I just started 3 days ago. Is this ok?
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    I have PCOS and borderline diabetic. Also, I'm anemic and my T4, vitamin D and hdl cholesterol are all low. I just got my results and waiting for an appointment with new PCP to figure out what I need to do. I do know that my weight is the cause for most of it. I don't know much about my T4 being low because my TSH is normal.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and borderline diabetic. Also, I'm anemic and my T4, vitamin D and hdl cholesterol are all low. I just got my results and waiting for an appointment with new PCP to figure out what I need to do. I do know that my weight is the cause for most of it. I don't know much about my T4 being low because my TSH is normal.

While I do not have PCOS or T4 concerns I have recently added MTC oil after two years of eating < 50 grams of carbs daily. Two years ago I could not cope with MTC but could do massive amounts of coconut oil OK .

I added Vitamin D3 and cut out all sugar and all forms of grains. Now Blood Pressure, HDL, Blood Glucose and Triglycerides are in ideal ranges at the age of 65. General health is better at 65 than at 45. LCHF is my WOE for life as I now see it and am VERY excited to learn about this life giving WOE personally. Best of success.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Thank you Gale and everyone again!! <3
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I'm doing 20g or less of carbs, 70g protein and remainder fat. I just started 3 days ago. Is this ok?

That sounds great! Stick with that for a couple months and you should really be feeling quite a difference. Make sure to check out the post about electrolytes in the launchpad since you just started.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Thank you, Sunny. I will check it out. I appreciate your help.
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    if I wake up hungry and running late for work I add a tbsp of MCT oil to my togo coffee along with a couple tbsp of heavy cream. it tides me over until dinner
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Also, Chris Kresser said in one of his podcasts how at 6-9 TB of MCT oil a day, many people can remain in ketosis at much higher levels of carbs - up to 100 g compared to the typical 20. I would take this as YMMV. He is not a keto guy. He is very much a proponent of there being no such thing as one size fits all. He was talking about getting into ketosis for a neurological issue in situations where dietary ketosis may not be as easy.

Also, I think the 20 g thrown around has to do with a standard of burning 2000 cal a day which may or may not be the caloric intake.

If ketosis is your only goal, this would probably be a good solution. But if you're trying to lose weight, I would approach this idea with caution. Each Tbsp of MCT oil has 100 calories, so you're talking about adding 600-900 calories to your diet. If it causes you to avoid eating 600-900 calories of other foods, that's great, but I'm not sure that would work long-term for most folks.

I agree with @cstehansen, YMMV.

• cstehansen
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

If ketosis is your only goal, this would probably be a good solution. But if you're trying to lose weight, I would approach this idea with caution. Each Tbsp of MCT oil has 100 calories, so you're talking about adding 600-900 calories to your diet. If it causes you to avoid eating 600-900 calories of other foods, that's great, but I'm not sure that would work long-term for most folks.

I agree with @cstehansen, YMMV.

I agree your goal is the important part. For me, it is BG control. Calories are not an issue since I do not need to lose any more weight and easily burn 3000-3500 a day. I do think it curbs appetite as well. However, if you are only consuming 1500 calories a day, this would be a huge percentage of your total. For me, it is only about a quarter and still leaves plenty of calories for me to eat real food.
  • mayabrooks025
    Options
    Such good information from everyone!! Seriously awesome!!
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie so I apologize now if this was already asked, can you tell me about your experience with either Ketopia or MCT oil? Please and thank you.

My friend sells Ketopia so of course he swears by it (and he has lost about 75 lbs). My wife did 2 rounds of it (mainly to help him out). She thinks it mainly helped because it is very structured and tells you exactly what to eat along with the drink (which she said tasted horrible). She said the other items tasted alright. It's a bit expensive and the same thing can be done with a structured way of eating and tracking I think. I've dropped 45 lbs just using this WOE. It did help her, but she thinks just doing this WOE would have done the same thing but may have taken a bit longer.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I use Bulletproof Brain Octane (aprox 3 tbsp per day). It's slightly more expensive but it has more C8 then most other MCT oils.

In an ideal world this is how I use keto/IMF/LCHF/wholefoods -
    6am - big glass of salt water with lemon and 1tbsp brain octane
    8am - black or green tea with 1 tbsp brain octane
    12:30pm - big salad with organic fresh veggies, apple cider vinegar, palm size of protein (local, pasture raised, etc) and sometimes extra fat depending on the protein from avocado or raw cheese.
    3:30pm - protein shake (Boku super protein and super greens) plus 1tbsp brain octane
    6:30pm - dinner....big serving of cooked veggies (broccoli, squash, etc), another palm sized protein serving, and maybe once or twice a week I'll have a carb (rice or sweet potato).
    8pm - non-caffeinated tea

If I need a boost I reach for snacks like Epic bars, small piece of 70%+ dark chocolate, cucumbers, etc.

If I go off track a bit (thanks holiday season with all your sweet treats everywhere) or seem to have hit a plateau - I'll throw in a fasting day where I'll skip the salad at 12:30pm and have a bulletproof bar. I'll usually totally forget about my protein shake at that point too lol.