Keto and bathroom changes.....

Options
Not to be disgusting, but has anybody else had bathroom changes to decreased amount, messy, wet, sometimes a lot of liquid in their bowel movements? I dont know what else might have changed, but I think they may be related. I have been keto 80/20 for the past few years, and I noticed the change when I went below 20 carbs daily. Any insights would be very helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you stay at your lower level, you should level out. Yes, for the majority of folks, there are bowel changes. Different folks with different issues have different effects.

Lower volume is due to less food intake (due to higher caloric values) and more complete digestion and nutrient absorption.

Messy/wet can be due to electrolyte imbalances. I don't do well with very high single doses of sodium (1500mg - 3000mg and up in a single sitting), especially when combined with any acid and coconut oil - I become downright explosively volatile. The sodium that high *can* be okay, if it is buffered with other electrolytes to balance.

The liquid again can be a major source of dehydration. Do you find that this is all the time? Specific time of day? After certain foods?

Mostly, I work to increase sodium intake on a somewhat steady pace as you'll release some every time you urinate, and focus on which foods have a disastrous combination for me. Also, medications like Metformin and such can trigger these reactions as well.
  • Kiwi_Billings
    Kiwi_Billings Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will watch the electrolytes and hydration. I never had this happen quite like this in the past.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have outlying issues, but I have this happen far more severely any time I drop my carbs down a good notch.