Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Thursday, 12/08/16

Options
leeless511
leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Tuesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Wednesday -- minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday -- leeless511 (Lee)
Friday -- GadgetGirlIL (Regina)

Today's topic: LTL Survey of sorts…Before and After...to help remind and inspire the lifestyle!

Now that you are either losing weight, attempting to lose weight or have lost weight and met your goal tell us the changes in place today comparing from before you started and versus today, for these things:

Sleep – how well did you sleep before your weight loss journey and how is it now that you are on the WLJ?
Social Life – what was it like in the past, how is it today?
Work Life - what was it like in the past, how is it today?
Your overall health - what was it like in the past, how is it today?
General state of your well-being –
Your closet – more clothing/less clothing?

Final question: What is the very best thing that happen so far?

Replies

• leeless511
    Options
    I'll comment later...got to jump on a meeting.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    No real changes in social,work life or sleep. GERD (acid reflux) is much bettèr! Do have added group of WW buddies in group and boards. Met and rode Lake Tahoe Century ride with WW leader gal from East Coast.
    Got rid of fat clothes and love newer stuff including form fitting leather jacket I bought in Spain now going on 8 yr at goal.

Best tning happened was two things. Long time nurse practitioner at Dr ( 20 yr?) office swearing she had wrong chart at annual physical some 50 + lb lignter. "Uh nope it's really me". Same thing happened for second dinosaur trip to Gobi with museum friends I see annually.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,719 Member
    Options
    sleep: Has not really changed.

Social life: A lot of partying not so much now but associate with more people now.

work life: Just part time for something to do can not stand being home I need to be on the go.

Health: Is fairly good compared to before.

General state of well being: Ok

less clothing

Best thing that happened to me: After losing the weight I went to the park and rode every roller coaster they had. Far cry from filling embarrassed having to get off when the safety bar would not close.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sleep – Had severe OSA got on bi-pap machine immediately began losing weight an have been sleeping great ever since.

Social Life – Didn't have a whole lot of social activity prior but more now.

Work Life - Self employed forever didn't effect it a whole lot but even busier than before.

Your overall health - @400 lbs I was on the verge of death with the OSA everything was a mess. Again got on the bi-pap and immediately heath turned around. Have afib now b/c of overweight and OSA. Just had eco cardiogram and ekg this week. Things look good Cardiologist staying on me to get the weight off.

General state of your well-being – Overall really actve and feeling well. Really sorry I'm up 15 lbs but am getting it under control and will get it off.

Your closet – More clothes at this point but not by a lot.

Final question: What is the very best thing that happened so far? No particular thing but mostly staying wildly more active than weighing in @ 400 lbs.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Sleep – no real change
    Social Life – I worked a lot more, now I live for my recreational pursuits and the friends I've made thanks to being active
    Work Life - work consumed my life, now I work to pay for my recreational habit
    Your overall health - blood pressure down from when I was at my highest weight, less frequency of colds
    General state of your well-being – grateful that I can be so active
    Your closet – same amount of clothing, difference is that it all fits

Final question: Finally feeling comfortable in my body and not having to worry if what I packed in my gym bag the night before will fit when I get dressed at the gym.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sleep – The same. I've always been a good sleeper

Social Life – Social Life used to revolve a lot more on food/eating out. Now it revolves around activities/fitness classes. Both are fun, but fitness activities are definitely healthier long term.

Work Life - The same. I still pack a lunch because I'm too cheap to eat out. What I pack is just healthier

Your overall health -My back no longer hurts from my car accident in 2008 because I've built up my core strength so much. I also never get winded doing daily activities or climbing stairs which is exciting

General state of your well-being –I've had to learn how to feel my feelings instead of eating my feelings. I think this helps me to live in the moment instead of using avoidance tactics which I like. I also have a lot less stress in my life (not necessarily due to weight) now which is wonderful

Your closet – more clothing/less clothing? Probably more clothing, just because I have so many workout outfits now on top of my work wardrobe. I definitely like how clothes fit now and I no longer get depressed when I have to go clothing shopping for fear that nothing will fit/look flattering

Final question: What is the very best thing that happen so far? The best thing so far is that I'm proud of myself. I was the kid who couldn't even run a mile and I completed a marathon last year. "I can't" is no longer in my vocabulary. I've learned how to say yes when I'm scared and take on challenges that seem insurmountable. For someone who has never done a sport before, I joined a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu team, competed in a grappling tournament (in the lightweight division!) and won my match. These are things that I will look back on for years with pride that I never would have accomplished if I stayed at my prior weight and fitness level
  • wwchrisdad
    wwchrisdad Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Sleep: Me: about the same due to BPH issues. My wife: Loves that I no longer snore.
    Social Life: About the same.
    Work life: Retired
    Overall Health: Able to do much more physical activities
    Gen Status well being: Happy with my life, which have more to do with my being VERY happily retired.
    Your closet:No more business clothes. Immense variety of casual stuff.
    What is the very best thing to happen so far: To be able to be in control of what I eat, maintain my weight and NOT feel deprived.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Sleep – how well did you sleep before your weight loss journey and how is it now that you are on the WLJ?

Dumped my CPAP years ago.

Came out of hiding.

Retired now. But when i was working, people take you more seriously when you aren't a fat slob.

1) I'm still alive. 2) Right now the only issues I have are aches and pains, mostly from exercise and Pickleball. 3) In 2012 I was diagnosed with bladder cancer that was treated with surgery and BCG. So far so good. I only bring it up to mention that no one suggested that my treatments would have gone better if I weighed 50-100 lbs more. Weight loss is its own thing. It doesn't guarantee you good health. Someday something will kill me, it wont be too fat.

General state of your well-being – Pretty good. Pickleball was a great find. Wouldn't be there without WL

Your closet – more clothing/less clothing? Right now, much less. When working I went through my high fashion phase. Really, I did. Now I buy my clothes at Marshals.

Well, I joined WW 10 yrs ago. I'm 66. Fact that I'm still alive, active, survived CA intact, all good. (I hate that expression)
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    So... I'm in the early re-joining of my weight loss journey. Back in 2008, I reached my goal weight and kept it off for three years. Then, in 2011, I let situational depression derail me, and I slowly regained until 5 years later I now have back all of the weight I had lost. My answers below will be a mix of remembering how things were when I was at my goal weight during maintenance.

Sleep – Even at my goal weight, I tended to wake every 90 minutes or so, then go back to sleep. Turns out it may have to do with an undiagnosed muscular-ligament problem impacting my left hip/low back. I'm seeing a physiatrist who is sending me to PT for that.

Social Life – My social life is less impacted by my weight, and more with my DW's anxiety issues. So pre-WW and during goal, my and our social life was vibrant. When DW hit her depression/anxiety issues, I usually chose to remain with her, and skipped many social events. I am now improving my social life, and my weight hasn't impacted that.

Work Life - So, when I'm at goal, I have much more energy, my focus is better, and I'm more consistent. I'm... ahem... not at goal, and those areas could stand some improvement.

My overall health - The biggest thing I notice is that my low back problems are TOTALLY impacted by my weight. When I'm below 200, I almost never have low back problems. Other than that, I've discovered that I can run 5Ks even when I'm over 210, which is better than being an overweight couch potato. :smiley:

General state of My well-being - While I remain a generally happy person, I do believe that when I'm mindful of my physical health, I tend to also be mindful of my emotional health and overall well-being.

My closet – No change in the amount, but I do tend to reward myself with form-fitting clothes when I'm at goal.

Final question: What is the very best thing that happened so far? When I was at goal, I realized that pre-WW, I viewed myself as essentially hopeless when it came to losing weight and keeping it off. And I also realized that through the process of losing weight as part of an overall healthy lifestyle, that a side benefit was that I had changed the character of the man I was. From a weak-willed victim of circumstances, I had become the kind of man that can make lasting changes one day at a time, one choice at a time. I learned that I had strength within me, and that like physical muscles, my will-power muscles could grow with use. Time to begin exercising those muscles again.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Hang in their Gavin! You are a wonderful person and wishing you the very best indeed. Nice to see ya!!
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pod! It feels good to start letting myself be in the discussions again. For too long I was just lurking, and shaming myself that I'd let myself go. Enough of that BS. Time to just accept I am at where I'm at, and get back to moving onward and downward.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Sleep – I had severe sleep apnea and was napping every day. Woke up several times a night. Now wear mask for apnea, sleep great and can roll over and sleep on my stomach. At one point I recall thinking it felt like I was sleeping on a basketball!

After I retired in 2010 I did very little except take dog to park. Now have friends I met at water aerobics, I played pickleball, volunteer at golf tourney and SCPA, go for walks regularly and of course socialize on line with GoaDies!

N/A Retired in 2010 joined WW 2013.

When I retired I had 42 years with Federal Civil Service, 30+ years in HR for USAF civilians at several bases.

Before: Poor.
    I have lowered my BP, cholesterol, A1C, and have reduced the number of Rx meds and may get off my Diabetes Type 2 meds completely next year.

General state of your well-being
    Great!

More clothes, with more colors and a lot less XXX's

I reconnected with my youngest son. He is the one that got through to me with a "tough love" talk that got me to see my weight problem in a totally new perspective. It literally changed my life. He was 28yo and I was 64 yo.
    Then the health benefits and being able to live a normal life with regards to eating AND drinking. I had stopped drinking seven years before joining WW. I substituted food for binge drinking beer followed by unhealthy eating.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Sleep – I considered myself a 'light sleeper' before WW (and I would wake myself up snoring). Well, I wasn't a light sleeper. I was probably borderline or solid case of sleep apnea. Now, I sleep much sounder, without as much sound. In fact, I don't snore at all now!

Social Life – I used to go out for food and drinksa lot (too much). I'm as likely as not now to choose to eat and socialize at home. I still do the beer and burger thing but it's much less frequent and I probably enjoy it a lot more.

Work Life - I didn't realize it but I spent a lot of my work life self-conscious about being fat. It affected the way I interacted with people to the point that it was often distracting. Now, I'm much more comfortable in my own skin. Most of the time, I don't give my looks a thought when making presentations or interacting with colleagues. It allows me to pay more attention to my professional life.

Your overall health - Dismal / Much improved. My doctor told me last year I was 'ideal'. I can assure you that has not happened before.

General state of your well-being – I definitely feel better physically, emotionally and mentally.

Your closet – I've gone back down thru all the sizes I worked up from. I wore what I could while I could and have eventually given that stuff away. I have had to buy almost a complete new wardrobe of smaller sized-stuff. My work is a mix of casual office and field stuff so my wardrobe's never been too fancy. That hasn't changed.

Final question: I think the very best thing was to move from 'thinking about losing weight' for years and years to actually doing it. That act in itself helped me immensely.
  • leeless511
    Options
    Thanks to all who posted, it was really great to read the responses. Here are mine...

Sleep –
    generally speaking I have slept well most of my life, now (I'm at goal) I don't sleep as well. Trying to figure out why.

Social Life –
    the amount of socializing has slowed down, but the quality has improved.

Work Life -
    improved based on my confidence levels. My weight gain occurred in my 40's otherwise, I spent most of my life normal or little over weight occasionally. The gain messed with my mind when I had to be around people.

Your overall health -
    Has always been pretty good, but blood pressure was going up when I gained. Now every normally measured area has great stats.

General state of your well-being –
    Very good

Your closet –
    Way less clothes in general, more fitness wear and casual clothing, not as much professional wear and & everything fits.

Final question: By conquering the weight issue, I feel I can conquer anything or at least be willing to try.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    Been using a Cpap for about 10yrs. Still need it.
    Actually, about the same. TOL and I are homebodies.
    Happily retired for the last 6 years. :)
    BO much better, with less meds, A1C down to "non-diabetic" levels, joints and nerves getting worse (arthritis and neuropathy) .
    General state of your well-being – Feeling pretty good. "Above ground".
    Lots less, but most of that is because I'm no longer selling men's clothing.