Slow Losers Unite!

Options
40DayFit
40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
Hi low-carb & keto kin! I started ketoing on October 20th--jumped straight in after taking time to learn first. I've enjoyed an almost immediate drop in inflammation, amazing cognitive clarity, better rest patterns, and a 15 lb drop on the scale. I forgot to take tape measurements, but it's plain that my clothes fit better, I think my face is a bit slimmer, and I can see a difference in my general body outline.

Howevermuch I want to deny my interest in the scale and simply celebrate all the wonderful things that keto is doing for me, I acknowledge that I wish my fat loss were faster. I have about 80-90 lbs to go before I'm at a comfortable weight for a solid, muscular build [female]. Evidence from other folks using keto for fatloss shows a much faster drop on the scale than I've achieved. And I know our bodies and our health vary! While I don't have diabetes, I do have PCOS, teen diagnosis, so likely have hormonal & metabolic derangement impacting my ability to release fat. Still, seeing the same 2-3 lbs go down and up as I eek out one more pound of permanent fat loss is yucking up my yum. I KNOW my body is doing something, shifting something with my body composition--I'm just doing it very, very slowly.

I have decided to embrace the adventure, identify and track non-scale measures, and to keep on ketoing on for all of the non-fatloss benefits. Still, it'd be nice to hear from others who have fat loss goals and who are losing more slowly than the 10+ lbs/month we often see from fellow ketoers and LCHF folk.

Are you out there? Share your experience!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I've lost 26 pounds in 3 months, so not the super rapid keto loss, but one I'm very happy with. Eating this way feels like the anti-diet and I don't feel deprived, so the fact that I'm losing without "dieting" is wonderful.

I did want to say that around 6 weeks in I really slowed in my loss and then had a week where I lost 4 pounds or so and saw steady loss again after that. Hopefully you're going through the same...your body's keeping house and will shed some pounds when it's ready.

I don't deal with PCOS, but knowing the havoc hormones play with the scale twice a month for me, I can only imagine it's an aggravating component. So glad you're seeing other benefits that make this worthwhile for you. :)
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Wow Sunny Bunny....Those are some dramatic pictures in my opinion. It really goes to show that the numbers on the scale don't always show the true results. I'm impressed with your commitment to just sticking with your plan when the scale wouldn't budge. Just started on my keto journey yesterday and I'm mainly interested in the health benefits overall, but I'm not going to complain if I lose a pound or 2 at the same time. I really want to learn how to live with the plan long term though. Thanks for the share!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    40DayFit wrote: »
    Hi low-carb & keto kin! I started ketoing on October 20th--jumped straight in after taking time to learn first. I've enjoyed an almost immediate drop in inflammation, amazing cognitive clarity, better rest patterns, and a 15 lb drop on the scale. I forgot to take tape measurements, but it's plain that my clothes fit better, I think my face is a bit slimmer, and I can see a difference in my general body outline.

Howevermuch I want to deny my interest in the scale and simply celebrate all the wonderful things that keto is doing for me, I acknowledge that I wish my fat loss were faster. I have about 80-90 lbs to go before I'm at a comfortable weight for a solid, muscular build [female]. Evidence from other folks using keto for fatloss shows a much faster drop on the scale than I've achieved. And I know our bodies and our health vary! While I don't have diabetes, I do have PCOS, teen diagnosis, so likely have hormonal & metabolic derangement impacting my ability to release fat. Still, seeing the same 2-3 lbs go down and up as I eek out one more pound of permanent fat loss is yucking up my yum. I KNOW my body is doing something, shifting something with my body composition--I'm just doing it very, very slowly.

I have decided to embrace the adventure, identify and track non-scale measures, and to keep on ketoing on for all of the non-fatloss benefits. Still, it'd be nice to hear from others who have fat loss goals and who are losing more slowly than the 10+ lbs/month we often see from fellow ketoers and LCHF folk.

Are you out there? Share your experience!

Here here a slow loser! I've been with this WOE since May 2016 and have lost 25 lbs overall. The first three months i lost the majority of my wieght and have lost 5 pounds between Sept till now. I am wearing smaller sizes and my waist has gone down 1 inch since Sept (6 inches in total from May). However, I am a Type 2 diabetic so I think that is contributing to the slow loss. I think if i really crunched down on my cals, I might lose at a slightly faster pace but Im happy with the amount Im eating now. I was really dedicated to fitness but my new work schedule leaves such little time for it but I need to make time for it lol. I figure as long as the scale is not going up, my blood sugars are good, then I'm good. :)
  • Cadori
    Options
    I thought I would link this here. It touches on another reason why it might take a while to see losses on Keto:

https://www.ketovangelist.com/so-you-want-to-go-keto/
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    @EbonyDahlia yea lol Im not complaining believe but in the keto world that is a STALL since its been awhile since ive seen big number drop in the scales. Ehh Im good. I want to lose 20 more pounds but I think I would need to really be strict with my cals and i dont have the time/energy/desire to do that right now.
  • Cadori
    Options
    I have to lol at "I only lost 26lbs in 3 months". I lose about 3lbs a month. I weigh and track everything, and I don't have cheat days. I'm 90kg, and I'd like to be around 75 to 80kg. I started at 124kg - 4 years ago. No one know slow weight loss better than me. However, I could still be 124kg, and I'm not. Life is a lot better at 90kg.

I didn't say "only". I said I was very happy with the rate. It's just below the very large numbers you see on some keto success stories.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I started on June 1st and have lost approximately one pound a week. I ain't complaining, it's almost thirty pounds down and I the time went by anyway. I have had some bumps and glitches with carb days, and I still at least maintained. Fast isn't better according to many studies I've read. Don't ask me to source, go do your own research.

Sorry if I sound snippy. I'm feeling snippy. ;)
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Slow loser here...started in July down 22.5 since. But hey, I'm 48, peri-menopausal, and weight doesn't come off easily anymore. I haven't been perfect but I never let the slide last
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I started on June 1st and have lost approximately one pound a week. I ain't complaining, it's almost thirty pounds down and I the time went by anyway. I have had some bumps and glitches with carb days, and I still at least maintained. Fast isn't better according to many studies I've read. Don't ask me to source, go do your own research.

Looking at my graph, I've lost 6kg (12 lbs) in 12 months. With no carb "glitches". Keto the whole time. I'm also feeling snippy.

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds in six and a half months. Not the quick pace of some keto folks, but I'll take it. Especially with all the health benefits I've gained, such as increased energy, normal blood sugars, improved cholesterol numbers, and looking better in my jeans. ;)
  • BlakelyFaye
    BlakelyFaye Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started mid-May of this year and am down 31 pounds. I will go weeks and weeks with no loss and then suddenly I'll lose several pounds in one week. Now that I see the pattern I've learned to be patient and wait for the big "whoosh". I've also learned to look more closely at how my clothes fit than at the scale because even as the scale number stays the same, my body shifts around in some positive ways.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

Looking at my graph, I've lost 6kg (12 lbs) in 12 months. With no carb "glitches". Keto the whole time. I'm also feeling snippy.

Oh thank you for the grin, fellow slow loser. Hey, at least we're losers right? Hahaha!
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    All of your stories and observations have been really insightful and reassuring! I wonder, for those who've been at this long enough to see patterns in their "stagnation-then-whoosh" fat loss process, what patterns do you see?

Here's to another day of on-plan eating & self-care, no matter what the scale says!