2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Patti2008 wrote: »
    Some people find they do better on synthroid or other name brand rather then generic as the fillers in the pills can affect absorption.

Is there anywhere one can turn to learn about these shadowy fillers?

(For example, do the manufacturers use the same fillers from one med to another? Does the FDA monitor these "inactive ingredients" in any meaningful way ?)

Thanks for any insights!

Not that I've discovered. Just like I can tell you in the various doses of levo, the pills change color. I've gone from 75 to 88 to 100 to 112 mcg, and the current one is a reddish color, which I'm sure has Red #40, which is a mortal enemy of my gut, but I don't know any other way around it. @RalfLott - I figured if anyone would know about Brands versus generics, it'd be you, given your extensive experience with Metformin/Glucophage.

My understanding is that the inactive ingredients aren't tracked anywhere specific, and it varies WILDLY from manufacturer to manufacturer. In fact, if you get a refill, you might have to ask your pharmacy specifically to keep the same generic manufacturer. Otherwise they use whatever the system autoprompts.

If only... The "other ingredients" in pharmaceuticals remain a mystery to me. I've asked pharmacists, docs, psychics, etc., but no luck so far.

There was a, clinical pharmacologist on one of the Fat Summit features... Maybe that would be the right sort of tree up which to bark..... .

I'm shopping around for a new pharmacy, too, since mine wouldn't oblige with a different metformin generic. ("Oh, you don't like borscht? Come back when it's gone.")
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I just had my TSH done- it came back 2.34. My doc says it's a very reliable test and that this is a normal result, no need to check any further.
    Thoughts?

TSH is the thyroid stimulating hormone. It may be reliable at measuring TSH, but TSH is not a direct measure of thyroid function.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    While my pharmacist insists that today's levo formulations are no longer a problem, when my primary care doctor sent me to an endo, she insisted that I should switch to Synthroid. She has major concerns about the generics. My insurance co-pay wasn't too high at the time but she told me about the ability to get discounted Synthyroid through the manufacturer. I didn't check it out at the time but my co-pay is going from $30 to $80/month on January 1st (ouch), so I checked it out the other day. Here's the website: https://www.synthroid.com/ It's called the Before Breakfast Club and eligible individuals will get a special card, which brings their co-pay down to $25/month. The eligibility information is on the website. It's not income-based. You have to have private insurance (not Medicare or Medicaid), your co-pay has to be higher than $25, you need to use a participating pharmacy, etc. They send you a card you use at the pharmacy. I'm waiting to hear back from them.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @mayabrooks025

There is a MFP hypo- and hyperthyroidism group. It's not as active as this group but there are some very knowledgeable and helpful group members. Here's the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I just had my TSH done- it came back 2.34. My doc says it's a very reliable test and that this is a normal result, no need to check any further.
    Thoughts?

It's not a great test. I was told I was normal forever because our normal range used to go to 6. Then they lowered it. I had to leave my last doctor because my TSH was finally down to a 2.6 or 2.7 on 150mcg synthroid but my free T3 and free T4 had not budged - I felt no better than when my TSH was 14.

Even now, I knew my thyroid was low because my temp was low. I rarely got much above 97F. I upped my dose of NDT (with my doctor) to 180 mcg NDT and felt better within a few days.
    Some people find they do better on synthroid or other name brand rather then generic as the fillers in the pills can affect absorption.

(For example, do the manufacturers use the same fillers from one med to another? Does the FDA monitor these "inactive ingredients" in any meaningful way ?)

Thanks for any insights!

Not that I've discovered. Just like I can tell you in the various doses of levo, the pills change color. I've gone from 75 to 88 to 100 to 112 mcg, and the current one is a reddish color, which I'm sure has Red #40, which is a mortal enemy of my gut, but I don't know any other way around it. @RalfLott - I figured if anyone would know about Brands versus generics, it'd be you, given your extensive experience with Metformin/Glucophage.

My understanding is that the inactive ingredients aren't tracked anywhere specific, and it varies WILDLY from manufacturer to manufacturer. In fact, if you get a refill, you might have to ask your pharmacy specifically to keep the same generic manufacturer. Otherwise they use whatever the system autoprompts.

Have you thought about combining different doses? Like a 50 + 75? Something like that?

I had to do something like that because I was reacting to one of the synthroids. I can't remember which one. Anyways, I was experiencing lips and mouth swelling, allergic reactions from something in one of the pills. I switched to a couple of lower doses and it stopped.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Thoughts?

It's not a great test. I was told I was normal forever because our normal range used to go to 6. Then they lowered it. I had to leave my last doctor because my TSH was finally down to a 2.6 or 2.7 on 150mcg synthroid but my free T3 and free T4 had not budged - I felt no better than when my TSH was 14.

Even now, I knew my thyroid was low because my temp was low. I rarely got much above 97F. I upped my dose of NDT (with my doctor) to 180 mcg NDT and felt better within a few days.

Thanks for any insights!

Have you thought about combining different doses? Like a 50 + 75? Something like that?

I had to do something like that because I was reacting to one of the synthroids. I can't remember which one. Anyways, I was experiencing lips and mouth swelling, allergic reactions from something in one of the pills. I switched to a couple of lower doses and it stopped.

@nvmomketo - I haven't combined, but it was random I noticed the color. I'm not having an measurable reactions, so for now I'll just stick with it. My doc gives me 3 months at a time, so without major symptoms, I can't afford to switch ATM...

Yeah, I had one endo tell me at 4.65 that he didn't know why my PCP had bothered to put me on meds, I was barely in range for it, and that until I lost weight, he couldn't help me with my thyroid balance. Fired him after a single appointment. Luckily I have a great one now...and he's the one who said until I got below 2 and stayed there AND was asymptomatic, he wouldn't consider me level, etc.

And I do take a combo, sort of... I take the 112 mcg Levo and 5 mg lio upon waking (4-5 am), 5 mg lio mid morning (10:30 am - 11:30 am - 1-2 hours after breakfast), and 5 mg lio early afternoon (3-4 pm, 2 hours after lunch, however it falls). This spacing seems to work really well, since the lio is a short run, and I was crashing with just two doses at 5 am and 2 pm... We'll see if my T3 numbers are better in April when I go back.

EDITED TO ADD: I've heard of using the NDT for autoimmune related issues, for chronic pain, and stuff like that... What were you using it for here? Are your thyroid issues auto-immune related (as in test verified)? I would have guessed mine were, but I tested negative or uber low on all antibodies tests
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thoughts?

Thanks for any insights!

@nvmomketo - I haven't combined, but it was random I noticed the color. I'm not having an measurable reactions, so for now I'll just stick with it. My doc gives me 3 months at a time, so without major symptoms, I can't afford to switch ATM...

Yeah, I had one endo tell me at 4.65 that he didn't know why my PCP had bothered to put me on meds, I was barely in range for it, and that until I lost weight, he couldn't help me with my thyroid balance. Fired him after a single appointment. Luckily I have a great one now...and he's the one who said until I got below 2 and stayed there AND was asymptomatic, he wouldn't consider me level, etc.

And I do take a combo, sort of... I take the 112 mcg Levo and 5 mg lio upon waking (4-5 am), 5 mg lio mid morning (10:30 am - 11:30 am - 1-2 hours after breakfast), and 5 mg lio early afternoon (3-4 pm, 2 hours after lunch, however it falls). This spacing seems to work really well, since the lio is a short run, and I was crashing with just two doses at 5 am and 2 pm... We'll see if my T3 numbers are better in April when I go back.

EDITED TO ADD: I've heard of using the NDT for autoimmune related issues, for chronic pain, and stuff like that... What were you using it for here? Are your thyroid issues auto-immune related (as in test verified)? I would have guessed mine were, but I tested negative or uber low on all antibodies tests

I'm glad there is no problem with the red. :)

I started with NDT because synthroid wasn't doing it for me. I really felt no better. Plus it made sense to me. My thyroid wasn't just low on one hormone. If my thyroid was under producing it was under producing everything (T0, T1, etc).

My thyroid issues are not technically verified as hashi's. My last TPO Ab test was a 19 point something and an abnormal reading is 20 or above.... Sort of like how 6 used to be a normal TSH but my numbers dancing around that were not abnormal enough for treatment (and I went along with it since this was back before Dr Google existed LOL). So technically I don't have hashi's, but I do have two other autoimmune diseases(celiac and ITP), and possibly lupus (according to one doctor) but that is serum negative too. It just makes sense that my hypothyroidism, which is pretty strong, would be caused by AI problems. I can't think of any other reason that a thyroid would have started to shut down on someone in their early 20's. By time I finally had it diagnosed, I went to an almost full replacement dose of meds.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thoughts?

Thanks for any insights!

I started with NDT because synthroid wasn't doing it for me. I really felt no better. Plus it made sense to me. My thyroid wasn't just low on one hormone. If my thyroid was under producing it was under producing everything (T0, T1, etc).

My thyroid issues are not technically verified as hashi's. My last TPO Ab test was a 19 point something and an abnormal reading is 20 or above.... Sort of like how 6 used to be a normal TSH but my numbers dancing around that were not abnormal enough for treatment (and I went along with it since this was back before Dr Google existed LOL). So technically I don't have hashi's, but I do have two other autoimmune diseases(celiac and ITP), and possibly lupus (according to one doctor) but that is serum negative too. It just makes sense that my hypothyroidism, which is pretty strong, would be caused by AI problems. I can't think of any other reason that a thyroid would have started to shut down on someone in their early 20's. By time I finally had it diagnosed, I went to an almost full replacement dose of meds.

@nvmomketo - you know it's interesting that you say that about the lupus. My PCP has been CONVINCED for years now that I have it, and has tested me for the antibodies or whatever 2-3 times this past decade. It doesn't make sense with what I know of it or anything, but you never can tell.

My thyroid tests were ....
    Anti-Thyroglobulin Antibody
    Date Result Ref Range Flag
    31-May-16 <1 IU/mL  < or = 1 IU/mL

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies
    31-May-16 1 IU/mL  <9 IU/mL

(Guess this one she used as the lupus screening alongside my CMP)
    Anti-Nuclear Antibody Screen
    14-Oct-15 NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
    21-Apr-15 POSITIVE NEGATIVE H
    24-Nov-10 NEGATIVE NEGATIVE

Anti-Nuclear Antibody Pattern
    21-Apr-15 NUCLEOLAR () H

Anti-Nuclear Antibody Titer
    21-Apr-15 1:80 titer SEE COMMENT H

(And RA)...
    Rheumatoid Factor
    21-Apr-15 <3 IU/mL <14
    24-Nov-10 6 IU/mL <14

So as far as I know, I don't have anything autoimmune, and so I don't know if the LDN would do anything for me or not, despite chronic pain... With meds, I start to feel better, and then I just don't... Right now, I'm holding steady, but this weather is doing me in...

I can't recall, did we discuss taking l-tyrosine with your meds? It seems to make a difference for me... So much trial and error, it's such a headache.
  • mayabrooks025
    mayabrooks025 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This thread is amazing! I'm learning so much just reading it. So awesome that we can connect and help each other through this process while we work on our health goals. Thank you again everyone. :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thoughts?

Thanks for any insights!

@nvmomketo - you know it's interesting that you say that about the lupus. My PCP has been CONVINCED for years now that I have it, and has tested me for the antibodies or whatever 2-3 times this past decade. It doesn't make sense with what I know of it or anything, but you never can tell.

My thyroid tests were ....
    Anti-Thyroglobulin Antibody
    31-May-16 <1 IU/mL  < or = 1 IU/mL

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies
    31-May-16 1 IU/mL  <9 IU/mL

(Guess this one she used as the lupus screening alongside my CMP)
    Anti-Nuclear Antibody Screen
    14-Oct-15 NEGATIVE NEGATIVE
    21-Apr-15 POSITIVE NEGATIVE H
    24-Nov-10 NEGATIVE NEGATIVE

Anti-Nuclear Antibody Pattern
    21-Apr-15 NUCLEOLAR () H

Anti-Nuclear Antibody Titer
    21-Apr-15 1:80 titer SEE COMMENT H

(And RA)...
    Rheumatoid Factor
    21-Apr-15 <3 IU/mL <14
    24-Nov-10 6 IU/mL <14

So as far as I know, I don't have anything autoimmune, and so I don't know if the LDN would do anything for me or not, despite chronic pain... With meds, I start to feel better, and then I just don't... Right now, I'm holding steady, but this weather is doing me in...

I can't recall, did we discuss taking l-tyrosine with your meds? It seems to make a difference for me... So much trial and error, it's such a headache.

@KnitOrMiss Lupus is another one of those diseases that can imitate other AI diseases. I think that must be what happened with me. You know that diagnostic criteria for lupus? I have a malar (like) rash (possibly roseacea) which gets worse in sun or strong artificial light, low platelets (ITP), positive ANA sometimes (often during a flare-up), mouth sores and arthritis. Supposedly you need 4 of the 11 criteria to be diagnosed. I have 4 or 5 but they may have been caused by other things like my celiac, hashi's or ITP (which is low platelets). Staying gluten free and treating the hypothyroidism really helps with most of it so I just let it go.

Did your PCP run the more specific tests for lupus if he suspects it? https://www.hopkinslupus.org/lupus-tests/lupus-blood-tests/ ANA is one of the least specific to lupus. Hashis can sometimes cause it. A nucleolar pattern is often associated with schleroderma but a 1:80 is pretty low and often considered negative. It could be one of those flukes or due to hashi's. Mine always shows up speckled at 1:80 or 1:160. (The numbers double every time, and 1:320 is a sure sign your immune system is ...wonky.)

Anyways, I was negative in all the other tests so the rheumy sent me home. Hopefully he is right. Lupus makes hashi's look easy. :( And we know it isn't.

I took L-tyrosine for a while but I stopped quite a while back. I didn't notice any difference. For me, it mostly comes down to the right dose of natural desiccated thyroid. The other supplements don't seem to do much. They may help but it feels like trying to fill a bath tub with an eye dropper - It may make a difference in the long run, but I'm not that patient. LOL
  • phlyn
    phlyn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at the knowledge you all have about your condition, the numbers of Th this and that. I have been taking Levothyroxine for about 7 yrs now. I live in UK and have never known my 'numbers'.
    Each year the practice nurse takes my blood and reports back that 'everything is fine' and off I go. I have got a book by Mary J Shomon which started me looking at lowering my carbs intake, but I can't see much difference in my symptoms.
    Is it just a UK thing, we only have one Doctors practice in my village, you don't really get a choice, you have to register with your nearest GP. To get to see a specialist you have to have something really serious and then you have to wait an average of 3 months or more for an appointment. Unless there are major changes in your condition the practice nurse takes care of you not the doctor. There is no 'relationship' with doctors here you are in and out in a matter of minutes.
    I paid privately to see a specialist a few years ago for my Osteoprosis,as my ankle had swollen so much and the pain killers were hopeless, I went for 6 weeks for an injection at £100 per time, and when I could not afford any more, he referred me to his NHS clinic and was told that I would have to wait 6 months to see him again.
    Sorry I have gone off topic a little, :*
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In the U.S. , my insurance has " in network" providers and out of network providers. If I go out of network, I pay more. I see a nurse practioner. She has to make a referral for me to see someone else, and as with you, things have to be pretty dire for that to happen. I saw an endocrinologist when I ended up in the ER with cardiac symptoms. I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and after that was dealt with, sent back to family practice. Everything is TSH driven and I would have to go to another institution to get further testing. And this at a world renowned health institution that is supposed to be "cutting edge."
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    In general, most doctors go by TSH here and you have to dig to find someone who will do more. Which is crazy in my opinion.
  • nvmomketo
    edited December 2016
    Options
    phlyn wrote: »
    I am amazed at the knowledge you all have about your condition, the numbers of Th this and that. I have been taking Levothyroxine for about 7 yrs now. I live in UK and have never known my 'numbers'.
    Each year the practice nurse takes my blood and reports back that 'everything is fine' and off I go. I have got a book by Mary J Shomon which started me looking at lowering my carbs intake, but I can't see much difference in my symptoms.
    Is it just a UK thing, we only have one Doctors practice in my village, you don't really get a choice, you have to register with your nearest GP. To get to see a specialist you have to have something really serious and then you have to wait an average of 3 months or more for an appointment. Unless there are major changes in your condition the practice nurse takes care of you not the doctor. There is no 'relationship' with doctors here you are in and out in a matter of minutes.
    I paid privately to see a specialist a few years ago for my Osteoprosis,as my ankle had swollen so much and the pain killers were hopeless, I went for 6 weeks for an injection at £100 per time, and when I could not afford any more, he referred me to his NHS clinic and was told that I would have to wait 6 months to see him again.
    Sorry I have gone off topic a little, :*

I only know my numbers after finding out, years later, that when the doctors told me I was fine, that they were wrong. That was just their interpretation. I got my records from a doctor who left her practice and discovered, 20 years late, that my TSH had been over 6 and then she had me retest and it cam back at a normal 5. She never told me my results.

Same with ANA. I remember being told, when I had my first AI arthritis flare-up at age 22, that I don't have arthritis but I probably will one day. And that was that. (This was at the same time that my TSH was a 6 something.) The pain went away, I could hold a pencil again, so I moved on.

Now? I get every lab report printed out and I consult Dr Google. I've had a couple of scares where the abnormal result was not as bad as I worried, but on the other hand, I'm the one who figured that I have hypothyroidism and celiac disease. I then told the doctor what tests to run to confirm it. LOL

... That doctor hated me. He told me to read less. :D I then added freeT3 and free T4 to my lab requisitions when he wouldn't. Then I found another doctor. ;)