Seasonings and Herb mixes!

Options
Hi everyone! So, I'm a few days into this WOE and I'm really enjoying it. Many thanks to you all for the help and advice I've gleaned not only from my previous post, but from this whole board! So so good!!

Anyhoo, my question is regarding supermarket-bought herb and seasoning packs. My favourite chicken seasoning (and pretty much all of the varieties I've been looking at) happens to contain starches and sugars. My question is - do you think the amount of carbs in these products would be detrimental, especially given how much is used in a meal (I only season one side of the meat to be cautious), or would it be such a small amount it wouldn't matter? Thoughts?

amib1wh4h3cj.jpg

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Since it doesn't show the nutritional information, it's hard to guess what impact it would have. Maybe you could try using it for a few weeks, then stopping for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference in how you feel or your weight loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Honestly, since you're just getting started I wouldn't worry about this one and similar spices. It looks like it'll be pretty insignificant using the amount you're describing.
    You can fuss over these small details later once you've become comfortable with all the changes. It could end up feeling like too much if you're aiming for too much perfection. It is smart to be aware though. You wouldn't want to be using a bunch of these small sources of questionable things every day, but you can get more picky as you get used to things.
  • MarilynCurves
    MarilynCurves Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Honestly, since you're just getting started I wouldn't worry about this one and similar spices. It looks like it'll be pretty insignificant using the amount you're describing.
    You can fuss over these small details later once you've become comfortable with all the changes. It could end up feeling like too much if you're aiming for too much perfection. It is smart to be aware though. You wouldn't want to be using a bunch of these small sources of questionable things every day, but you can get more picky as you get used to things.

Thanks so much! You've got me pegged already! I have to analyse everything to the nth degree! Haha! I just really want this to work! I want to FINALLY reach my goal :smile:
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sugar is listed pretty high on that ingredient list and is often the primary ingredient in a lot of spice blends, as you noted. Look for ones without sugar and then you won't need to sweat the calories/macros much. You can also make your own blends at home to avoid the sugar. It definitely takes some shopping around, but I've found lots of blends with no sugar. I'd recommend some, but looks like you're in Australia, so it won't help you much :/ but the ones I have are generic store brand, so not expensive at all.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Here is how I look at it: Look at the total weight of the container and then think about the number of servings. There is a high likelihood of each serving being less than a gram total, which means even if it was pure sugar, you would only have 1 g of carbs. I agree sugar is high on the list and that isn't necessarily a good thing, but let's say it is 30% and a serving is a full gram. In that case, you are still only having 0.3 g carb per serving.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about a tiny amount of flour or sugar in something. At the extreme, I'd just pick a reasonable # and add it to my carb count. If you want to put it in your food diary to note the carbs there is already an entry in the database for just "carbs" (also true for "fat" and "protein").

What will derail you in weight loss is making a keto cheesecake, sneaking an extra piece, not accounting for it and thinking it is ok because "it's keto".