This forum...

Options
solska
solska Posts: 348 Member
Once in a while, I look at something in the general forums... and almost always I'm shocked by the meanness and self-righteousness that has absolutely no place for this kind of environment.

Until I discovered this forum I would try to come on MFP, stay a couple of weeks then forget about it, I I forgot the log on info of another account, so longer than the date of this one. The couple of times I asked something in the threads, I felt interrogated, it was weird.

For the first time in a long time (and for the first time since I put on weight over my usual weight) I lost more than 10 pounds, many reasons for this, but I know very well this forum has played a major role in keeping me motivated. It's not just the posts I put out there or those in response, just the general tone in most posts is open even when not positive (because not all things are happy after all).

This for me really proves how much truth there is in the idea that such major challenges are better done with community. I hope I don't fall of track, and if I do, I hope I find my way back. I'm thinking about the impact of these on other journeys too, not just the weight loss one.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    *edited my own post --- realized I was just grousing about the main forums*

Thank you. :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The support around here really is great. Even when we do disagree, it seems to be done very respectfully. :) It's helped me a lot too!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much on cruise control these days and don't need much in the way of help or motivation but I agree this group is great for both. I especially love baconslave's challenge threads this time of year. I don't participate but just reading the thread titles are a great reminder and help keep me on track.

Thanks for sharing and congrats are your success so far - your post was a pleasure to read. Best wishes. :)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Pretty much anytime someone posts out there with a low carb question I direct them to the group. In the main forums they don't usually get good answers only the typical, "carbs aren't bad" or "there is no reason to limit carbs" routine. Some people come join while others throw themselves to the wolves "out there". I am always amazed at how hostile people become. Yo would think we were discussing religion and politics the way people behave.
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Out there they really do not know the advantages of the lifestyle we chose to follow. The low carb forum is very helpful to those who have questions and can be very supportive as we all have similar goals.
  • baconslave
    edited December 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10184341/please-read-group-expectations#latest
    Please note that, in addition to not engaging in arguments and negative behavior in the main forums, the following things can't be tolerated here in our group.
    • Posts talking about other members and how they irritate you or wishing harm upon them.
    • Insulting nicknames.
    • Posts complaining about the general forums.
    • Any links to discussions in the main forums.
    • Posts complaining or insulting the moderation decisions in the main area or any of the moderators.
    • Reposting any private messages or personal discussions in the group.

While we understand that the above usually represents angry venting and little more, it has been brought to our attention that it's not to be allowed here. In addition, please take a brief moment to review the Community Guidelines. In light of these developments, let's focus on the purpose of this group. That purpose is talking about low-carb diets and supporting those on them. Instead of focusing on the main group, let's focus on keeping our community strong.
  • baconslave
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10184341/please-read-group-expectations#latest
    Please note that, in addition to not engaging in arguments and negative behavior in the main forums, the following things can't be tolerated here in our group.
    • Posts talking about other members and how they irritate you or wishing harm upon them.
    • Insulting nicknames.
    • Posts complaining about the general forums.
    • Any links to discussions in the main forums.
    • Posts complaining or insulting the moderation decisions in the main area or any of the moderators.
    • Reposting any private messages or personal discussions in the group.

While we understand that the above usually represents angry venting and little more, it has been brought to our attention that it's not to be allowed here. In addition, please take a brief moment to review the Community Guidelines. In light of these developments, let's focus on the purpose of this group. That purpose is talking about low-carb diets and supporting those on them. Instead of focusing on the main group, let's focus on keeping our community strong.

Tried to edit inside the post, but the page is being stupid:

I was going to just leave this alone, but some posters just keep talking about the Main Forum. Yes, it's divisive in there. Sometimes we don't get good responses there. But we aren't allowed to complain about it or discuss what is wrong with it.
    Options
    This post is not "complaining" about the main forums, it is stating how helpful it is in here rather than out there. I believe there is a huge difference. Is there a rule stating that we are not allowed to ever mention the main forums in any respect? Because that would be more clear since what a complaint actually is can be very different depending on the perception of the reader. This post does not come across as a complaint to me. Had it been strictly bashing the main forums I would have a different opinion. So I guess we need clarity. What constitutes a complaint?
  • baconslave
    edited December 2016
    Options
    This post is not "complaining" about the main forums, it is stating how helpful it is in here rather than out there. I believe there is a huge difference. Is there a rule stating that we are not allowed to ever mention the main forums in any respect? Because that would be more clear since what a complaint actually is can be very different depending on the perception of the reader. This post does not come across as a complaint to me. Had it been strictly bashing the main forums I would have a different opinion. So I guess we need clarity. What constitutes a complaint?

At the top of the group in the sticky section is a post titled: Please Read Group Expectations
    I linked it in my post. You can read that in full. It gives more detail. :smile:

We've gone a couple rounds with MFPs admins about it. They indicated that we shouldn't discuss any negative aspects about the Main Forums period. They feel it opens the door to more strong vents/rants about it which in turn foments hostility, anger, and potential drama. The site admins have expressed strongly to the Group Mods that they do not want us discussing the divisive issues the Main Forums have at all. Otherwise, our group will be closed. They strongly expressed that they do not want us talking about threads in the Main Forum, or linking to them, either.

It is best to not bring up or discuss negative, unpleasant, or unfavorable experiences you have in the Main Forums in this Group. At all. Brief off-hand mention, as in the OP's original post, to support/highlight how helpful the group has been for an individual is fine when used as a comparison to the external environment of the Group. It's even fine to talk about how we are still very much the minority in the world in general in more detail. But to continue to highlight bad/unfriendly experiences in the Main Forums of MFP specifically is not ok. As per the site admins.

We have a great thing going here for the over 30000 members. MFP needs this place for Low-Carb support. But if we get shut down, then 30000 people will be thrown under the bus. @Dragonwolf @FIT_Goat @Sabine_Stroehm volunteer our time to keep the group a supportive safe haven for those who choose low-carb WOEs. In order to keep it, we have to follow certain expectations and guidelines, whether or not we agree with them, for the good of the Group.

Like I said in the Group Expectations sticky. We're renting a room in MFP. To keep it, we have to follow the terms of the lease. So, it is what it is. :smirk:

Thank you everyone for continuing to follow the Group and Community Guidelines so that we can have a place to get support and talk shop without naysayers. :heart:

ETA: I added this explanation to the Group Expectations as further clarification. So for future reference, it's there. Any other questions can be directed by PM to myself or the other Group Leaders who are tagged in this post. :smile:
    Options
    Yeah, I read all that but this post is not a complaint. That is what I am saying. It says "no complaining about main forums".
  • baconslave
    Options
    "Pretty much anytime someone posts out there with a low carb question I direct them to the group." Is fine.

"In the main forums they don't usually get good answers only the typical, "carbs aren't bad" or "there is no reason to limit carbs" routine. Some people come join while others throw themselves to the wolves "out there". I am always amazed at how hostile people become. Yo would think we were discussing religion and politics the way people behave." Continues to detail problems with the Main Forums. The OP isn't a complaint, but your post sounds like one. I'm certain there is no hostility behind your comments, but as per the Site Admins, going on about problems with the atmosphere of the Main Forums is not acceptable. It's complaining about them. They've specifically asked us to not do it.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

For my 27 cents (since we ALL know, I can never stop at just 2 cents!), I think that it very easy to devolve from sharing sympathy and finding like persons to a full blown rant about things, particularly at this time of year, when emotions naturally run high. Especially when negative words start to come into play, however applicable, it can be very easy for me, especially, to get carried away. And I know that we all tend to flock here once we find the place, as like minds and spirits dwell here, and one of the easiest ways to bond is against a so-called "common enemy," which to me should be MISINFORMATION, not any one person, place, or thing.

Personally, in my life, I have recently forced a shift upon myself to focus on all the positive things in my life, and to just let the negative things slough off and fall by the wayside - IGNORED - as I keep moving, and I personally think that this thread isn't a huge compliant or rant thread YET, it could easily fall down that slippery slope, and gentle warnings, as above, are the easiest way to prevent that, especially since we all know with the volume of posts in this group that sometimes we reply to the OP before reading the entire thread (well, at least I do...)...so better to nip the urge in the bud that let it become an issue that spreads like wildfire, no?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Would it be cricket to share an experience of getting depantsed and run through a rose hedge at an LC-hostile site that is not part of MFP?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's simply too big a risk to take to say "the place that shall not be named"
    Because of how helpful this specific forum is to all of us. It's just too risky to leave it up to someone else to decide if something was too negative or not.
    The workaround is to simply say that OTHER places you've sought help and guidance haven't been as accepting. Believe me, we all know where these uninviting places are without specifically naming them.
    We have too great a thing here to open up an opportunity to have a post judged. It's not our group admins. It's MFP admins and their discretion. We wouldn't likely even be given an opportunity to plead our case.
    That would be awful. It's easy to just vent generically. We understand all the various places we get flack for our ideas and methods. I promise.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It would be a shame for the group to be lost especially over negativity since that is what everyone seems to be wishing they could leave behind. Being a newbie myself I found a tremendous amount of resources here that were available to me instantly upon becoming a member so that would be sad to lose all the information that has been gathered here for everyone.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Baconslave, can you move this to announcement area and lock it from further comments? I think all that needs to be said has been. I don't want this group to upset the MFP admins in any way. I need it way too much. Thanks!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am locking this for further review. Even the hint of impropriety can't be accepted on this issue. It may seem silly, but it is what it is.

If you wish to argue for/against reopening this thread, please PM myself or the other admins.
This discussion has been closed.