Repeating/Extending Weeks

Options
ellepribro
ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
If you don't feel ready to move on to the next week do you repeat or extend the week or do you push yourself on to the next one?
I'm inclined to extend the week until I feel better prepared to move on. I did week 1 for 5 days instead of 3. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the subject.
Someone messaged me and said that repeating or extending a week because you don't feel like you can do the next one is like quitting before you even start...

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Okay, just to clarify. Instead of doing the set 3 days in week one, you did it 5 days? If that is how you did it, then honestly...I would go to week 2 and drop down to the recommended 3 days a week max until you have compeleted the program. The rest days are there for a reason, and one reason you might feel this way is because you are overwhelmed and burning yourself out.
  • ellepribro
    Options
    Sorry, to clarify - I ran for 5 days over a 2 week period. Not 5 days in a row.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I personally kept moving forward even when I couldn't complete a run, and finished just fine.

IN GENERAL, I agree with the sentiments of the person who messaged you, but you're an individual and everyone is starting from a different place with different limits.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Ah, okay.....

Well it really depends. You have to really look at yourself and see what is going on. Are you repeating because you are scared to progress (believe it or not this is very common), did you have a good walking base set up before you started, or was the running one minute walking 3 a little too much at first and do you need to modify to maybe 30 second runs 3 minute walks?

Are you running too fast? That could be another issue. Slow your run down and try week one again, it could just be something as simple as that.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are, if you completed the day then go on. Even if you struggled to complete it. You did it, so go on. If you weren't able to complete it then allow yourself to repeat it. Don't be upset with yourself, just repeat.

It turned out in my case that I didn't repeat any days, except the very first one. In fact on a couple of the days I completed them because I was telling myself that if I stopped and started walking, I'd have to repeat that day. That's what kept me going.
  • ellepribro
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, folks. I slowed down my run a bit this morning and it went well. I feel more prepared for W2D1 on Saturday.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    personally I repeated week 2 and 3 just because I felt I was not ready to move on yet. I could not get the breathing down, I could not get comfortable at a pace and I just was not strong enough in willpower to move on.
    Then I learned that I needed to slow down, relax and just take it one day at a time. That has really helped me push through. I just this morning finished week 8 day 2 and feel really good. I cant wait to be a graduate!!
    Just hang in there, slow down if you need to and breathe.. You can do it!
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with repeating as needed. Be a day or a week. I repeated week 3 b/c I thought I would never make it for the three minutes without dying! I then revamped the way I was running (SLOWED DOWN, like Raasy said) and found that if I listened to what my body told me during the runs (you're going to fast, I can't breathe, leg are fatiguing, etc.) That I had a higher success rate. I may log a run that is much slower than the last, but I would complete it and move to the next.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, it depends why you aren't moving on to the next week - if you're just frightened of failing, then you should just bite the bullet and go for it but if its because you haven't been able to complete the level, then that's a bit different (well, in my opinion anyway lol)

Personally I've repeated days (I had a couple of weeks off when I went on holiday and didn't feel ready for the next level without repeating a day of the last one just to check my mojo was in place!) and I intend to repeat W5D3 as I was leaving drag marks on the trail I was dragging my feet for so much of it so didn't get the sense of achievement I wanted when I finished. Like I said, that's me personally but as long as you aren't delaying progress, I'd say repeat if you have to.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am only on Week 2, and due to do day 2 yesterday, but my knees and legs had not recovered (especially since c25k is not my only exercise regimen). So I have held off doing day two a few extra days. That doesn't mean I am quitting. I am giving my body the recovery time it needs. I am still excited about the program, and no one can tell me I am quitting. They don't know your motivation level either, so who cares what they think! Its about you and your dedication!
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. But don't hold back in fear of the next run, the programme really does work. I repeated W6D3 four times because I really struggled with it and thought I wouldn't be ready to move up to running 23mins. I decided I couldn't stick the sight of W6D3 anymore as I continued struggling so just moved on - so glad I did it was so much better. Weird how it works. I could run 23mins fine yet two lots of 10min hurt so bad.