Officially Hate this Time of the Year (warning rant)

Options
13»

Replies

• dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Sydney is awesome for Christmas, especially for an Ontario, Canada girl. Want to see the fireworks at New Years some year.

But .... Melbourne was terrific too. A combination of a summer festival with school holidays and Santa thrown in for good measure. Just wandering around downtown enjoying the party was so much fun.

I am counting the days (beginning of Feb) until I arrive in Sydney! Yeah, summer!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    The notice sent out said "Christmas Meal" and I don't actually celebrate Christmas. I'm atheist, so I would possibly celebrate today (Winter Solstice) if I cared much. I'm not sure if the person who wrote that was trying to take a jab at me or not. I am pretty sure I'm the only non-Christian out of the ~400 employees at my location, but I don't exactly blend in with most employees because I work in the office during the day. So it isn't like the HR person who wrote that doesn't know. Not sure if that was a subtle way to suggest I not go anyway, since I'm sure she knows both that I'm not Christian and that I don't eat carbs. Not that it matters... I know I'm in the super minority in my tiny ultra conservative little town with basically all Christians (there is a family that I'm pretty sure is Hindu, and I'm the lone atheist - but nearly 100% Christian otherwise... and everyone working here is Christian). I'm just kinda bummed that I will eat just a couple items. In fact, I'm thinking of skipping and just doing my own thing for lunch, but then I know people are going to give me kitten for skipping out.

Eh, oh well.

Whew. Christianity- and carb-free in a small conservative town? That sounds like 3 strikes to me. (Maybe 4 if you don't drink.... )
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    The notice sent out said "Christmas Meal" and I don't actually celebrate Christmas. I'm atheist, so I would possibly celebrate today (Winter Solstice) if I cared much. I'm not sure if the person who wrote that was trying to take a jab at me or not. I am pretty sure I'm the only non-Christian out of the ~400 employees at my location, but I don't exactly blend in with most employees because I work in the office during the day. So it isn't like the HR person who wrote that doesn't know. Not sure if that was a subtle way to suggest I not go anyway, since I'm sure she knows both that I'm not Christian and that I don't eat carbs. Not that it matters... I know I'm in the super minority in my tiny ultra conservative little town with basically all Christians (there is a family that I'm pretty sure is Hindu, and I'm the lone atheist - but nearly 100% Christian otherwise... and everyone working here is Christian). I'm just kinda bummed that I will eat just a couple items. In fact, I'm thinking of skipping and just doing my own thing for lunch, but then I know people are going to give me kitten for skipping out.

Eh, oh well.

Whew. Christianity- and carb-free in a small conservative town? That sounds like 3 strikes to me. (Maybe 4 if you don't drink.... )

Rarely... because of the carbs in most alcohol.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I missed my office party this year, because I was in a training class. :p

We've had a lot fewer treats in our area this year than years past. Not sure why, but at least it has made things easier temptation-wise. My "treat" to the team was a big box of holiday-flavored, unsweetened coffees for the office Keurig machine.

Still, I am ready for Christmas to be over and done with. Too much family drama. :(
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Eh, oh well.

Whew. Christianity- and carb-free in a small conservative town? That sounds like 3 strikes to me. (Maybe 4 if you don't drink....)

Add me to that list...4+ and counting...and the company I work for is founded on religious conservative beliefs, too...
  • cynlyn2010
    cynlyn2010 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work in a small office and we had the same thing. However, once my coworkers saw the pounds start dropping from me, and how much better I feel, most of them jumped on the lchf train with me. Customers are still bringing in treats for us, but now I have the support of most of my team to help resist and just put those treats out for other customers.
    With my family, I find out what we are having and bring a low carb version.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    The company has a "Christmas Dinner" for each shift (3 shifts), and also does a drawing on each shift for employees in that shift. Need not be present to win, and some took vacation today anyway. The drawing usually includes a big item and tons of small prizes (mostly gift cards ranging from $10 to $50). This is my 6th such year and the first I didn't attend. It is also the first time I won something, and it happened that I won the big prize item. Some people are giving me a hard time for not going to the dinner since I'm actually working today, but they'll stop giving me sooner than the TV stops working. It is a 50" HDTV, so not bad. I can see the jealousy behind those who are giving me a hard time. I'm honest when they ask why I didn't go, though. I explain that I'm eating low carb (most of the people who ask already know this) and that the menu didn't work for me. I'm not mentioning the lack of feeling welcome over the "Christmas Dinner" notice because I just know they will give me more kitten over that.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    My what a nice TV you have!

Better to watch low-fat Christian cooking shows with!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Adelaide is set to be the hottest city in the world this Christmas day. But don't worry, we have air conditioning :)

We had our work lunch yesterday - everyone brought a plate to share. There were a lot of sweets and pastried foods but I bought a platter of kabana, cheese, olives, pickles etc. No problem at all.

My boss (bless her) gave me a box of nice chocolates yesterday as a thanks for all of my hard work these last few weeks. My hubby thought they were great :)
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is the only time of year I'm a teensy bit happy that we haven't made friends in this city and our families live far away. The only goodies foisted on my have been a handful of cookies from a little one's Mom and an annual box of See's candy from my Dad. In January I'll go back to being grumpy about the "Seattle Freeze."
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure that's an oxymoron. Have you ever been to a Christmas dinner; or any dinner in the Bible Belt, for that matter? I swear those *kitten* love deep fried turkey, Crisco and Ring-Dings more than the good book.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 you could always celebrate Saturnalia, which is where the Christmas celebration started. That way you could fit in with your co-workers who are blissfully unaware of the facts, lol. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I'm pretty sure that's an oxymoron. Have you ever been to a Christmas dinner; or any dinner in the Bible Belt, for that matter? I swear those *kitten* love deep fried turkey, Crisco and Ring-Dings more than the good book.

@Gallowmere1984 - I had to laugh so much at this one. My dad does the deep-fried turkey thing EVERY YEAR. So far, I haven't explored that tradition. I guess you could call us within the Bible Belt, despite the fact that my family isn't religious overall. They're in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas, which is where I spent my formative years. I've since regressed to the 1950's in a small town in Oklahoma that literally has a segregated population still, more or less. "Don't go to that 'side' of town after dark!" Thankfully, I've moved now to a slightly more progressive college town, but honestly, I've yet to find a part of Oklahoma in my nearly 12 years of living here that isn't at least still partially in the dark ages.

P.S. I've not done the State Fair insanity of deep frying everything...but I have eaten deep fried ice cream before, which is actually pretty tasty.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss -

Does deep frying ice cream leech out the sugar? That's what I read on the Internet.

Well, it sounds like most everyone survived The Season, office horse d'oovers, family gatherings/muggings, *kitten* weather, and all.

Plan around Sweatest Day, and we're safe till Easter!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss -

Does deep frying ice cream leech out the sugar? That's what I read on the Internet.

Well, it sounds like most everyone survived The Season, office horse d'oovers, family gatherings/muggings, *kitten* weather, and all.

@RalfLott - Absolutely not... LOL Just like breaking cookies doesn't dump their calories or carbs on the floor - and calories consumed in the company of friends still count, and all of that, sadly...

Basically, it's just normal ice cream, frozen hard, then rolled in either crushed sugar cones, graham crackers, a batter with similar taste, etc., then frozen again (might be flash-fried to set, dunno), then fried straight from frozen. Barely melts the ice cream... Must only be consumed somewhere where you'll immediately walk it off...highly recommended to be shared with friends... It's larger than a large grapefruit normally, but smaller than a cantaloupe or honeydew melon...LOL I imagine it could be modified with a low-carb graham or nut version, low carb ice cream... Sounds interesting. I might explore this at some point. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss -

@RalfLott - Absolutely not... LOL Just like breaking cookies doesn't dump their calories or carbs on the floor - and calories consumed in the company of friends still count, and all of that, sadly...

Basically, it's just normal ice cream, frozen hard, then rolled in either crushed sugar cones, graham crackers, a batter with similar taste, etc., then frozen again (might be flash-fried to set, dunno), then fried straight from frozen. Barely melts the ice cream... Must only be consumed somewhere where you'll immediately walk it off...highly recommended to be shared with friends... It's larger than a large grapefruit normally, but smaller than a cantaloupe or honeydew melon...LOL I imagine it could be modified with a low-carb graham or nut version, low carb ice cream... Sounds interesting. I might explore this at some point. :)

I'll wait to hear from you on the LC solution.....

One slip today, and I'd have a pack-a-day DFIC habit tomorrow!