Sprouts

Options
annk18
annk18 Posts: 85 Member
If I sprout seeds, not beens or peas, would they be paleo compliant? I like to use sprouts in my salads and sometimes in my stir-fries. Is this still possible with Primal/paleo?

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. Radishes in salad? I use radish sprouts. Same with sunflower sprouts.

It isn't the same with mung bean sprouts, used in stir frys - their carb count is quite high.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I believe that sprouts are paleo compliant and it hasn't had any negative effects on my blood sugar (I'm type 2 diabetic). If you are concerned with carbs, although Paleo isn't necessarily low carb, a cup of alfalfa sprouts are ~1.5g carbs, and a cup of mung bean sprouts are ~6g carbs.
    Enjoy your sprouts!
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So are mung bean sprouts paleo / Primal compliant even though the mung beans themselves are not?
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I was speaking on sprouts specifically, and the carb count, if that is a concern. I don't have nutritional information on a mung bean (don't eat em), so that's a good question.
  • Spirit_Goose
    Spirit_Goose Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of sprouts you want. Sprouts grown from broccoli or radish seeds are just fine. If it's from something like alfalfa, stay away.

Mark clarifies in an article: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/is-it-primal-7-more-foods-scrutinized/