Will we see some resolutioners on GOAD this year?

Options
Philtex
Philtex Posts: 954 Member
The board has gotten pretty quiet. Without WW to provide new members I wonder if any resolutioners will find us this year.

I like this MFP site but wish we could keep new members. 167 people have joined the group, but only 16 replies to roll call today shows me that not many stayed. If we do get newbies in January, what needs to change to keep them here (assuming you want them to stay)?

Replies

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,982 Member
    Options
    I resolve to stop having birthdays
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,003 Member
    Options
    The quietness of GOAD on MFP parallels the slow-down when GOAD was on the WW boards.

I think there are a few issues.

First, we have a pretty small membership. Although 167 seems like a big number, if there's a small portion who participate, that's not much activity.

Second, most of the threads are recurrent/daily threads. Many of these don't really lend themselves to interesting discussion (with some exceptions).

Third, my impression is that if a post doesn't get posted first thing in the morning, it tends to fizzle. For example, when the LTL gets posted late, there are usually fewer replies than if it's posted early.

Fourth, there's very little "spontaneous" posting. I think it was the random posts on the old WW GOAD that generated the most discussion. I used to check back in multiple times a day to follow those discussions, and given the rarity of such discussions here, I don't usually bother to loop back later in the day.

So, I would suggest that if we really want this board to thrive (with or without "resolutioners"), it's up to each of us to make the effort to be more active.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    I wonder what is the median age of ACTIVE GoaDies? I'm 68yo and see a lot of younger folks on MFP that makes me ask if that maybe an issue?
    Also I think many/most of you guys are at goal and not really struggling to lose weight (my nonscientific opinion). So we don't have many topics that apply to Newbies.
    One thing I miss is the signature that showed SW, CW, GW. That gave me a point of reference on the Posters comments.

With that said yes Old WW GoaD board had it's IT issues but was more FUN (IMHO). But I still enjoy coming here, it's sorta like my favorite bar back when I drank beer by the gallons!
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,580 Member
    Options
    If we don't have many newbies, and primarily have a group of folks who have been around the block more than a few times it changes the dynamic quite a bit. There are less how to questions. Many are doing well and man other os us who are not, know what to do but are currently struggling to do it consistently. I also don't think we have the mass to support some of the fun threads we used to have as well. Age may be a factor as well. I don't think you can deny that the smaller numbers limit the dynamic or energy of the board. @Steveomania makes a good point. You want a more active board, we each need to be more active. But I think we should focus less on getting back to what we were and look ahead and discover what we may become.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,100 Member
    Options
    Good comments . Also hard for some of us west of the Rockies to post @ o-dark hundred hours of say 4 a.m. pacific time.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It's also harder to find/join groups on MFP. There are a ton of them out there so unless you're one of the most popular groups you won't get a lot of publicity for new members.

One idea would be for current GOADies to go to the "Introduce Yourself" thread and invite newcomers to join one by one. Especially people who fit the demographic you're looking for.

@Jimb376mpf To see the person's weight tracker you can often just pop on their personal page as long as they don't have strict privacy settings. It's not as convenient as the signature at WW, but its still there if you need it
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,102 Member
    Options
    From where I am, I see quite a few of us struggling, and hating to admit that we've just got a case of the "effits", don't join in on many discussions. (Shame? Unwillingness to admit the slippage? Etc.?)
    Like the BTBC thread just seems NOT the place to post, when we're NOT BTBC.
    Same with the LTL.
    No answers, just excuses. :(
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    One other thought - Goadies were what I consider 'experts' on the WW plan. With some exceptions I don't think we offer that about the MFP program. Would you come here to ask how to account for exercise calories on the MFP calculator? (I don't even know the correct MFP terminology, so I'm certainly no help.... :) )
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I concur with all that @steve0mania posted above and would add only this point:

Fifth, unlike in the best of times back on WW, absolutely nothing is driving any potential new member to our group. It falls on us to extend an invitation or accept that it is what it is.

I've posted the blurb below to the "getting started" message boards 3-4 times over the past several months. Each time I posted there, I saw a corresponding small uptick in members here. A few times a Newbie surfaced, or posted in the pinned "introduction" thread, but they don't hang around.

In the Groups section of the myfitnesspal community there is a terrific community of guys who share the weight loss experience. Guys includes guy-guys, girl-guys, and guys-of-every-stripe. If you like your weight loss advice served straight up, come over and check and it. You'll find a community that is helpful and supportive, a little edgy and fun, and with all semblance of sugar coating removed. Find us by searching "GOAD" in the "search groups" box after clicking on Groups.

Guys On A Diet (GOAD) has been around for 10+ years and recently moved to MFP from the former WeightWatchers community boards. Over the years countless "GOADies" have given and received tips, advice, support, and KITA. We have some regular/daily threads, some special interest threads (runners, bikers, walkers), and always an open forum to ask questions, share your weight loss experiences, or just say hello or good morning.

Stop by and introduce yourself. A little GOADing might be just what your weight loss journey needs!

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    I wonder what is the median age of ACTIVE GoaDies? I'm 68yo and see a lot of younger folks on MFP that makes me ask if that maybe an issue?

We should all change our profile pics to swimsuit models.

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,102 Member
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »

We should all change our profile pics to swimsuit models.

LOL. I don't think so. I'm going to be 73 in January.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,704 Member
    Options
    I came from the WW boards. I agree with AL I read all the posts and post on some but really on others not sure what to say. I am not word savvy. I do like to here good or bad and how you cope with issues that sabotage us. Like now I am in a slump I have not been in for a long time. I think the more of these posts and the support you all give would help to get more involved and comfortable posting.
    Thanks