Otsuka resistant starch packets

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
So on my commute yesterday, I noticed ads for this product, "Kenja-no-shokutaku Double Support," which is a resistant starch powder supplement that you add to water or tea and drink down after a meal. Has anyone seen/used anything like it? I bought the 9-packet box today and just tried one after lunch. Not sure what to expect. The claims seem to be reduced blood glucose increase after eating carby stuff. The ads feature a Wise Man with a long white beard, kind of like Confucius...

• Dietary fiber (indigestible dextrin) slows down the body's absorption of sugar and lipids, thereby reducing the rise in blood glucose levels and triglycerides after a meal.
  • Can be easily dissolved in water, green or black tea, and other beverages without changing their taste. Enjoy it with a meal.
  • Comes in a stick pack for easy carrying convenience.

http://www.otsuka.co.jp/en/product/kenja_no/?utm_medium=corporate-site&utm_source=maincutbanner-en&utm_campaign=Kenja-1612

Google reveals this in the US: Fibersol-2, made by Matsutani, a Jpz company too. Anyone seen it?

What is Fibersol®-2?
Fibersol®-2 is a soluble dietary fiber (90% min. dsb). Fibersol®-2 is produced from corn starch by pyrolysis and subsequent enzymatic treatment (similar to the process to manufacture conventional maltodextrins) to purposefully convert a portion of the normal alpha -1,4 glucose linkages to random 1,2-, 1,3-, and 1,4- alpha or beta linkages. The human digestive system effectively digests only alpha 1,4- linkages; therefore the other linkages render the molecules resistant to digestion. Thus, Fibersol®-2 is GRAS as maltodextrin, resistant to human digestion, and conforms to all working industrial and scientific definitions of dietary fiber.

http://www.matsutaniamerica.com/fs2/bib_egt.php

Will post again when I see what develops in my microbiome :wink:

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to hear your results. Did you do a PP check after using the stuff?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Not sure how adding starch would help you get rid of starch you are already eating?? Are those other glucose linkages supposed to bind with regular starch and carry it out of your system w/o digestion? I understand that cooling starches (like potato) or eating green bananas changes a portion of the starch in that food to make it resistant, but how is this other supposed to work? It doesn't make sense to me.... similar to adding non-sugar sweetener would get rid of sugar you've eaten during the same meal. Any scientific explanation of this? Just curious, since resistant starch seems to be the next big 'thing' for fat loss marketers.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fibersol, yeah, I was just reading about it. Seems like a lot of hypotheticals, tbh. I enjoy STUR stevia sweetened water enhancer in my green smoothies. Now STUR has come out with "STUR skinny" with hunger staving properties. Fibersol. 1 gram of fiber. yeah....
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Not sure how adding starch would help you get rid of starch you are already eating?? Are those other glucose linkages supposed to bind with regular starch and carry it out of your system w/o digestion? I understand that cooling starches (like potato) or eating green bananas changes a portion of the starch in that food to make it resistant, but how is this other supposed to work? It doesn't make sense to me.... similar to adding non-sugar sweetener would get rid of sugar you've eaten during the same meal. Any scientific explanation of this? Just curious, since resistant starch seems to be the next big 'thing' for fat loss marketers.

I would imagine it's like the pitch for eating whole grains, the increased fiber is supposed to slow digestion, which they say reduces the impact on your blood sugar. I buy that, if I ate an equal amount of carbs in two different sittings and one of those meals was a few gummy bears and the other was a slice of Ezekiel bread with some almond butter, the gummy worms will definitely send my blood sugar higher, faster. But at this point in my life, I'm happy to just have a boiled egg and call it a day :smile: Trying to find ways to sneak my carbs in (i.e eating low carb breads with oat fibre) never helped me solve my eating problems, but then I'm a completely broken person when it comes to food. Yay keto, I'm finally starting to feel on my way to fixed.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @MyriiStorm No, I don't do any testing--I don't have diabetes and don't know how to get a monitor here in Japan, I haven't found them except online, for lots of yen. I also am not usually in ketosis.

So yesterday, after posting, I soon had to visit the loo... felt rather cleaned out after that, if you know whut i mean. I have a feeling the hype is probably more than it is worth. Just wondered if anyone else has used resistant starch. Chris Kresser was touting it last year, if I recall. Found the link: https://chriskresser.com/how-resistant-starch-will-help-to-make-you-healthier-and-thinner/
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Isn't dextrin from wheat? I think Benefiber manufactured in the states is wheat dextrin. (I am gluten intolerance but new at it so I am researching this stuff.) Benefiber in Canada is made from inulin and I do use it as a fiber supplement. And soluble fiber (either wheat dextrin or inulin qualify among others) is recommended for making you feel fuller and for reducing cholesterol. I believe it helps block the uptake of fats from a meal. But I got that from my doctor's nurse (confirmed online), but it might be woo-hoo.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Not trigs apparently but yes LDL lowering and total cholesterol.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/69/1/30.full