Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Thursday, 12/22/16

Options
leeless511
leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Tuesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Wednesday -- minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday -- leeless511 (Lee)
Friday -- GadgetGirlIL (Regina)

Today's topic: Summer bodies are made in winter…

Stepping away from food and weight loss, what do you do, have done or want to do to change your body from a fitness perspective? "Nothing" is an acceptable answer :wink:

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I've slacked off on my regular running over the past few months and I'd like to get back into it. I had some persistent shin pain, and since I've had a couple of running-related stress fractures in the past few years, I am overly cautious when I begin feeling pain!

I would also like to get back to some strength-training. I started lifting weights when I had my first stress-fracture, and I really enjoyed it. The problem was that it became very tempting to eat more to help push the weightlifting. If I were to restart, I'd have to be a bit more careful about my intake.
  • leeless511
    Options
    I've said it a thousand times...I want to tone my muscles. I am getting close to a weight where the option of losing more is really not going to change how I look. I know in my heart I need to tone those muscles...but I just cannot get consistent. I get bored with the workouts or I over do it. I've done videos, various apps on devices; youtube etc. but none stick do to lack of interest. What I really want to do is kickboxing/boxing; pilates (with the machines); yoga and some lifting. I dabble in all of them and love them all but the logistics and time consumption takes me off course. I work from home and my local area does not offer much in the way of these in a formal/group option. I prefer being coached and learning how to do things right before I break out on my own. I'm working on it though, I will get there...eventually. I regularly run, outside because I can do it opportunistically along with walking the dog 2 miles.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    I want to get back to Key West, shed these few cold weather pounds I've added. But I've started training with weights again, I'd like to keep that going. I've found that I can lift a bit heavier than I thought.

Want to keep going with Tai Chi and get in more paddle board to work on balance. Want to swim more.
  • leeless511
    Options
    @olds88 I am always envious when you mention going back to Key West! And Paddle Board is on my wish list too. We can do that in my area at the national park in the warmer weather, but have not tried it yet.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I'm currently under doctor's orders to do no exercise more strenuous than walking. Once I'm released again (hopefully in about 2 weeks), I intend to start myself over in running (I'm a committed fan of Couch to 5K), and I also want to re-introduce pushups/situps/crunches using the 100pushups.com system.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    I totally believe this. At my age I cannot wait until spring or summer to get in shape or stay in shape. Even when younger (prime time) I have finished in the top two when bicycle racing many times in the "Jack Frost Time Trial" series which starts in January sometime. And now I just don't have that luxury of sitting around on my duff and hoping to be in shape summer time.
    I am more of a cardio guy but have been doing upper body weights again lately and getting back that strength.

•So sorry you are rehabbing Gavin. Walking is great for sure. I might take up the push ups thing again.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    This year I got consistent with swimming after a very long layoff (since 2007). Now I need to apply that same consistency to my weight training and running. I got knocked off track with my bike crash in September. It appears that certain lifts trigger issues with my hip/back (quadratus lumborum, QL, muscle to be specific). I'm having to play around with greatly reducing volume (both weight and reps) to see if I can find a stable starting place to begin to rebuild lost strength. Same goes with the running as I had this QL lock up during a marathon in October and then in shorter training runs since that time.

Knock on wood, I accumulated 36 minutes of running last week without issues. My goal is to get more minutes in this week, again without issues.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,719 Member
    Options
    I would like to get the weight off I have gained this year and at least get back to swimming and senior aerobics in which I can only do with my disabilities.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    gadgetgirlIL so sorry about your injury. Good luck with your training and rehab.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Bob - thanks. 2016 has been a heck of a year. But on a positive note, my cataract surgeries are behind me now and I can see pretty good without any glasses, first time since 6th grade! I inadvertently ended up with mono vision as the left eye that had the macula hole in 2014 was so very, very near sighted that they could only get me to 20/40.

How are your eyes doing? Any improvement in your double vision?
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    Nothing
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    what do you do, have done or want to do to change your body from a fitness perspective?

I "WANT" to work on building up my leg strength. My arthroscopic knee surgery and PT both told me I need to work on my leg muscles that support the knee.

I also "want" to get into weight lift training.

Now for me to translate "want" into DOING is the hard part.

Good time of year to think about making some changes next year.
    OMG! That's only nine days away!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I need to get and keep movin'!

I do some now. I do walk. I do some field work (sometimes strenuous) as part of my job but need to make a commitment to enjoying my newfound lessweight freedom!

One good thing about winter for me is to be able to snowshoe out in our woods (just got back!). But I'm getting older and just starting to experience a little knee and joint pain. I expect it will get worse if I get more sedentary.

The gym is out for me. It's 1) too far away to be practical and 2) just not my thing. I'd much rather be doing something outside so I need to make a point of doing it (and not thinking about it).