Macro advice

Options
birdtobe
birdtobe Posts: 105 Member
I know everyone is different, but how did you determine the right macros for you: research, trial and error, percentages? Any insight into formulas (or examples) would be great! I am currently consuming 1250 calories a day, with an aim for 78g carbs, 20g sugar, 56 g fat, and 109 g protein. Thoughts, tips, ideas? I've down 14 pounds in 5 weeks and want to keep it going!

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I figured mine out via glucose testing trial/error. When my glucose was under control, I knew my macros were right.

I don't count sugar separately from total carbohydrate - to me carbohydrate is carbohydrate and all becomes glucose in the bloodstream, so I just look at the carbohydrate total itself.

Your calorie count seems pretty low overall to me, but without knowing all your stats/medical history - I can't comment much on that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Try one of these.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    Or
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

These are called keto calculators but you can change the default keto level carb amount to 75g or 100g or whatever you want to go with and it will adjust the fat accordingly.
    I would count sugar in total carbs aiming to keep it as low as possible. 20g sugar is 5 teaspoons a day.
  • birdtobe
    Options
    Your calorie count seems pretty low overall to me, but without knowing all your stats/medical history - I can't comment much on that. [/quote]

@albertabeefy I just used the goal set for me by MFP using my weight, height, and pounds-per-week goal.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Remember too that the fat grams should be higher than protein for the full benefit of LCHF to work. Using one of the calculators posted should be a huge help!
  • birdtobe
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Thanks so much for the links. I do count sugar in my total carbs but also like to see it pulled out for exactly the reason you mention: I like to understand how many teaspoons of sugar I'm consuming every day. (I used to eat nothing but sugar, so this is a very helpful way for me to keep it under control. Some days I eat far fewer than 20, but making it too low means I can never have fruit or whole milk, which feels too restrictive for me.)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely an individual trial and error process. Some go LC while others need to go near zero for the same results. Based on your results thus far, sounds like you are on track
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @birdtobe, many of us got by, once upon a time, living on sugar. But somehow adulthood morphed some of us from hummingbirds to great grey owls over the years ....

IMHO, the default MFP calculator may have been programmed by someone in a sugar-stupor...
    (The ones @Sunny_Bunny_ listed above are better starting points.)

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    birdtobe wrote: »
    @albertabeefy I just used the goal set for me by MFP using my weight, height, and pounds-per-week goal.
    Yeah, I thought so. That thing is a terrible starting point :smiley:

As @RalfLott just above me suggested, use one of the calculators @Sunny_Bunny_ linked to above ... either will give you a MUCH better recommendation of calories required for weight loss.

• birdtobe
    Options
    The calculators @Sunny_Bunny_ sent gave me great info (and a higher calorie suggestion!), so we'll see how that goes. Many thanks, everyone! Going to make myself an extra sausage with breakfast tomorrow ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    MFP calories have always been pretty accurate for me through weight loss and maintenance. Macros, I adjust however I choose. Having to use percent of calories versus grams is not ideal but close enough. If your goal is weight loss versus another health issue it really won't make much difference if you're a few grams off on any of the macros. Just my opinion based on personal results/experience. You're doing well. No harm in playing with the numbers/exploring and learning but no need to fix anything that "ain't broke".