Peptic ulcer

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
My RNY was Jan 20, 2015. In September, 2015 I was diagnosed with an ulcer located just past the anastomoses into my small intestine. This developed while I was already on Prilosec, and Zantac. After learning of potential side effects from Prilosec (kidney disease, memory loss and others) I decided that medicine wasn't good for me. In the spring of 2016 I began working on getting myself off of them.

It was no easy task because medicines like Prilosec have to be weaned because the pain can return. Anyway, I never got to where I was 100% off of them. Taking them a couple of times a month.

In September I began having abdominal pain that was diagnosed as Colitis (inflammation in the large intestine) after a 15 day hospitalization. Pain returned in early December so yes, back in the hospital! Had no ability to control the pain at home! They consulted surgeon this time and it was found that the ulcer had eroded through the large intestine! Resulted in surgery to remove the portion of diseased small intestine, and repair the large intestine too!

This surgery was performed on December 14th, so I'm still recovering, and having to revert to the liquid diet again for six weeks to allow proper healing.

My message in posting this is if you're diagnosed with ulcers is to insist on routine endoscopy (minimum every 6 months) to keep a watch on it. I will be taking the medicine again but am not convinced it will keep me from getting another. Will see what the future brings in this regard.

If you're still here, I also wish you a very Merry Christmas!! Recovering from surgery isn't fun during this time of year!

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this - very important to know and sorry that you have to go through all of this. Hope you have a happy holiday, even though this year isn't exactly the most enjoyable...
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear this! Wishing you a speedy recovery!