Crunchy Bobs OMAD Thread

Options
crunchy_bob
crunchy_bob Posts: 17 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
Crunchy here, I'm going to copy/paste my intro here so as not to recreate the wheel:
Name:Bryan or Crunchy Bob (it's going to be my hobo name when I give it all up and start hopping trains)
Weight: 250lbs
Height:6'4"
Goal weight range:210-215
Time of OMAD:4:30pm - 6pm
OMAD start date:12/19/2016

I'm treating OMAD differently, for me this is an experiment into the mental clarity aspect of OMAD and treating the weight loss as a secondary effect/goal. I think this may help with the normal weight fluctuations experienced during weight loss and will help defend against the "it's not working" mindset that gaining a pound here and there can create.

I'm a project manager and a helpdesk tech so my days are filled with troubleshooting PC's/applications, coordinating vendor meetings, filtering information and making sure other groups adhere to time schedules and task completions, a glorified babysitter if you will. Mental clarity is of the utmost importance to my job as i'm truly the "Jack of all trades, master of none" workload.

I'm currently keeping a OneNote journal of my daily feelings and meals for now but I may not keep it up indefinitely, it's just not my way to blog continuously, can't do it, never have. I'm also only weighing in once a week, if I try to micromanage my weight I find it's my quickest way to defeat.

Here is my daily beverage and nightly meal layout:
MORNING: 1 to 2 cups of black coffee (with Splenda).

MID-MORNING: 1 large 16oz glass of ice-cold water with Mio (currently using the Tropical Cherry with Vitamins)

NOON: 16oz of cranberry juice with 2 tablespoons of Bragg's apple cider vinegar and a packet of Splenda. I call it the Crancider Horror Concoction.

MID-AFTERNOON: 1 large 16oz glass of ice-cold water with Mio (currently using the Tropical Cherry with Vitamins), or a La Croix water

EVENING: sometimes a glass of milk, sometimes just water, depends on how I feel. I eat a good size plate of food and a small dessert of some sort, lately just a cookie, just something to knock back the sweet tooth demon a bit.

Replies

• crunchy_bob
    Options
    Crunchy Bob's First Week Thoughts on OMAD

Day 1 Thoughts
    Monday, December 19, 2016

2 cups of coffee and I'm definitely awake, a lot of trips to the bathroom lol but the day wasn't as bad as I expected. Came home to an excellent roast, loaded up on meat, potatoes and veggies, 1 cookie for dessert. I miss my evening cereal though.

Day 2 Thoughts
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Coffee in the morning again, the bacon from the cafeteria smells so good but I know better, I just have to keep reminding myself that it smells better than it tastes.

When I do finally eat, the food tastes and smells so good

Day 3 Thoughts
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Making it thru the day was no problem, I found that if I use a no calorie sweetner in the cranberry/apple cider vinegar horror concoction it makes it so much more palatable.

I over ate at dinner and was just miserable, I won't be doing that again

Day 4 Thoughts
    Thursday, December 22, 2016

Today wasn't too bad, drank my crancider concoction with the sweetener again, easy peasy.

Dinner was rice and chicken with a tikka masala sauce, some garlic bread and a donut lol but I didn't stuff myself and felt much better

Day 5 Thoughts
    Friday, December 23, 2016

Woke up this morning and I feel..lighter...tighter?? Not sure how to explain it, I feel like I may have lost some weight but didn't bother to weigh myself.

Coffee tastes ok this morning and got my crancider concoction ready for lunch, tonight we're going to try a new teppan house, can't wait!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Heyyy! Welcome! I love the name you came up with for the cranberry apple cider drink :) I don't mind the taste much but li be the name all the same :)
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your day and feelings eating OMAD. It really helps to know how others experience the program and to compare data. I remember losing 6 pounds the first week on OMAD. I haven't been able to tolerate the vinegar yet but I keep trying. Nice to meet you.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Nice report. Will be interesting to see how the weight goes.
  • crunchy_bob
    Options
    Day 6 Thoughts
    Saturday, December 24, 2016

This was a tough day, had to go food shopping for last minute Christmas dinner ingredients (I do all the cooking for the family). I should've had the CHC (new abbreviation for the crancider horror concoction) BEFORE I went to the store, I wanted to buy everything and told my wife to keep a tight reign on my impulse buys, she did an awesome job!

Dinner was chedderwurst sausages with some sauteed sweet onions and mushrooms in a soy sauce/worcestershire sauce, ptotato salad and baked beans, and small piece of cherry pie for dessert.

Day 7 Thoughts
    Sunday, December 25, 2106

Merry Christmas everyone! up early and starting my coffee, I may or may not splurge this morning with some bacon and eggs, we'll see how it goes when I start breakfast for the family.
  • crunchy_bob
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Heyyy! Welcome! I love the name you came up with for the cranberry apple cider drink :) I don't mind the taste much but li be the name all the same :)
    Thanks! I'm not gonna lie, that drink is nasty lol but it's too beneficial not to do I think
    Thanks for sharing your day and feelings eating OMAD. It really helps to know how others experience the program and to compare data. I remember losing 6 pounds the first week on OMAD. I haven't been able to tolerate the vinegar yet but I keep trying. Nice to meet you.
    Nice to meet you too! Sharing common experiences always makes things easier in my humble opinion.
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Nice report. Will be interesting to see how the weight goes.
    Thanks, I agree, I've noticed my clothes fit a tiny bit better, I'm interested to see what my first week loss will be, I don't think it will be all that much but I'm not expecting miracles either so it won't be a deal breaker.4
  • crunchy_bob
    Options
    Week 1 Weight In

Start weight was 250.5 - End Weight was 248 = Loss of 2.5 pounds, not bad for the first week, makes the suffering of the CHC (crancider horror concoction) worth it lol!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Week 1 Weight In

Start weight was 250.5 - End Weight was 248 = Loss of 2.5 pounds, not bad for the first week, makes the suffering of the CHC (crancider horror concoction) worth it lol!

Nice. That is a good loss for a week.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Weight In

That's a terrific loss!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You inspire me to try harder! Congrats on the amazing progress!
  • crunchy_bob
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    You inspire me to try harder! Congrats on the amazing progress!

You got this :)
  • OMADhungerispower
    OMADhungerispower Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    !!!!! Hi crunchy bob. I'm gonna get me some crancider tomorrow. Thanks for recommending!
    And also do tell us how your Christmas breakfast went. :)
    Love reading your daily thoughts, have a lovely wee holiday!
  • crunchy_bob
    Options
    !!!!! Hi crunchy bob. I'm gonna get me some crancider tomorrow. Thanks for recommending!
    And also do tell us how your Christmas breakfast went. :)
    Love reading your daily thoughts, have a lovely wee holiday!

Thanks so much, here's my suggestion for the crancider...16oz of the cranberry, 2 tablespoons of the cider vinegar and 1 to 2 servings of a 0 calorie sweetner, mix well, very well...in fact mix it 3 times just to be sure lol.

Christmas morning, I made eggs and bacon for the family so for myself it was 2 pieces of bacon and 2 eggs over medium with a little salt and pepper and some Mrs. Dash onion and herb seasoning. I relished that bacon and was a little sad when it was over lol. I felt satisfied though and made it thru the rest of the day without incident.

Christmas dinner I heated up some ham slices, made some mashed potatoes and sauteed some asparagus in lemon juice and topped with some hollandaise sauce, I also made a loaf of homemade buttermilk bread and had a homemade lemon bar for dessert, I wasn't suffering after that meal I can tell you. :p
  • Abe_Forward
    Abe_Forward Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started my own OMAD journey on 25 December. I'd bought some vegetables for a stir-fry in advance & made a reasonably healthy meal. I get hungry at night before bedtime. Water does nothing for me, so I'm just having to plow through it. I hope the hunger pangs in the evening eventually go away.

I want to do Joe's strict one-meal-one-hour-one-plate plan, but I'm not there yet. For me the big challenge now is one-meal-one-hour. Stunning how much food I can put away in an hour...

Started the apple cider vinegar on 25th, too. I'd like to add a small protein shake for dessert moving forward since my meals are heavy on produce and starch.

My biggest challenge is the why behind my dependence on food. I've tried a long time to address it. Think the best I can do going forward is to try to replace food with something else rewarding. Will be a challenge to find. Hoping new project at work will do it. Does anyone else out there not have family or close acquaintances & use food as a "friend"? What worked for you dealing with this?

Anyway, trying to check in here once a day, at least. Knowing other people are working on this, too, helps me.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Crunchy_Bob

My plan has always been a three hour eating window and I've lost with it. If that didn't work, I would have had to limit the food to a tighter window and/or more limited. If you can get to the one-plate rule and stick to it, you will lose faster for sure. Maybe some days you can do it and other days you have a little wider eating window. I think the most important thing is that you don't set goals so high that you get discouraged and give up completely. A 3-hour eating window that allows you to lose slowly is better than feeling like you must always have a higher goal and then quit completely because that is hard to reach. I encourage you to go for the one-plate rule but don't beat yourself up if you don't get there everyday and just keep trying.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Weight In

Awesome loss. Congrats!!!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Crunchy_Bob

My plan has always been a three hour eating window and I've lost with it. If that didn't work, I would have had to limit the food to a tighter window and/or more limited. If you can get to the one-plate rule and stick to it, you will lose faster for sure. Maybe some days you can do it and other days you have a little wider eating window. I think the most important thing is that you don't set goals so high that you get discouraged and give up completely. A 3-hour eating window that allows you to lose slowly is better than feeling like you must always have a higher goal and then quit completely because that is hard to reach. I encourage you to go for the one-plate rule but don't beat yourself up if you don't get there everyday and just keep trying.

I totally agree with this!^^

I was doing 2MAD comfortably (16:8 intermittent fasting with lunch and dinner --no snacks in between). But I was maintaining. ...and maintaining. Which is fine if I want to maintain. But I want to lose weight.

So then I discovered the OMAD thread and Joe's youtube videos. I gradually decreased the window between lunch and dinner. But then it got to be a bit too much too quickly. Make sure to go at a pace that works for you.
  • crunchy_bob
    Options
    Caught a look at myself in profile in the mirror and I've definitely slimmed down in the belly, good times :)

I kept to my schedule this week with no issues, last night I did a taco Tuesday for the family, that will become a regular thing every two weeks to keep it from getting old. Still going with my once a week weigh in but it's hard fighting the curiosity lol.
  • kabrigail
    kabrigail Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started my own OMAD journey on 25 December. I'd bought some vegetables for a stir-fry in advance & made a reasonably healthy meal. I get hungry at night before bedtime. Water does nothing for me, so I'm just having to plow through it. I hope the hunger pangs in the evening eventually go away.

I want to do Joe's strict one-meal-one-hour-one-plate plan, but I'm not there yet. For me the big challenge now is one-meal-one-hour. Stunning how much food I can put away in an hour...

Started the apple cider vinegar on 25th, too. I'd like to add a small protein shake for dessert moving forward since my meals are heavy on produce and starch.

My biggest challenge is the why behind my dependence on food. I've tried a long time to address it. Think the best I can do going forward is to try to replace food with something else rewarding. Will be a challenge to find. Hoping new project at work will do it. Does anyone else out there not have family or close acquaintances & use food as a "friend"? What worked for you dealing with this?

Anyway, trying to check in here once a day, at least. Knowing other people are working on this, too, helps me.

I completely understand that. I gained most of my weight because I used food as comfort when going through a tough time with my daughter. (She got married and disowned me and my family). I gained 80 pounds in a year. Food was my friend and my comfort. I stayed in bed and just ate and ate. Now she's back (Yay!) and I've got to get rid of all this weight. Getting on OMAD, after the first couple of weeks, I didn't crave food so much and I didn't think about food so much. I didn't think of it as my friend any more and I didn't miss it so much. Now, I just don't think of it the same and when it's around I don't just have to have it. When someone brings cake to work, I don't have to have it. I might get a piece and wrap it up to have with my dinner when I eat my one meal at night. I don't deprive myself, but I don't have to have it right then like I used to. I can wait. My relationship with food is so different now. OMAD changed that. I love OMAD! Good luck to you!!!
  • crunchy_bob
    Options
    Well the cat's kind of out of the bag, co-workers have noticed my lack of breakfast and questioned whether i'm on a diet or something, I told them "not a diet, just a new way of eating". It seemed to satisfy their curiosity so far without having to elaborate too much. I'll keep up the ruse as long as I can but when I eventually turn sideways and they can no longer see me, I'll have to explain at that point how I became so thin as to be two dimensional.