T2D's - Book Rec's Please

Options
redimock
redimock Posts: 258 Member
Hello all! Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread, but if you have Type 2 Diabetes, can you tell me what your favorite book (or video) has been? Possibly the one that made you enthusiastic to try low carb? My Dad had been T2 for a few years now, and has recently started insulin. He seemed interested in hearing more about Keto after seeing my results tonight (I haven't seen him since last Christmas).

Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Watch Dr Bernstein's diabetes university videos on YouTube. He is type 1, but much of what he has to say is relavent for t2
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living was the book that changed my life. I'd been eating low carb (100g-ish) for years and it helped me keep my blood sugar manageable and very much under control with the addition of drugs too, but I could never lose the weight and keep it off and the idea of getting off my meds wasn't even something I thought was possible.

My best friend had weight loss surgery and her doc put her on a very low carb diet. I'd been hearing about all these weight loss surgery patients resolving their diabetes issues, so I decided to see what changes I could accomplish by trying the same program as a weight loss patient without the actual surgery. That path of discovery led me to Phinney and Volek which eventually resulted in an increase in my dietary fat combined with my very low carb diet (20g/day) which was this amazing life changing experience! I highly recommend their book.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Great recs - can't go wrong with the Trinity of LC wise guys, Bernstein, Phinney & Volek.

Bernstein's book, Diabetes Solution, is a treasure trove of good info, in addition to his videos.

A long interview with Phinney and Volek is broken up into segments by topic at the JumpstartMD YouTube channel.

Finally, though Bernstein's book and The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living together are complete old and new testaments, including countless revelations, Phinney, Volek and Westman's New Atkins for a New You is a simplified version of the latter, with meal plans.

PS. Congrats @redimock. Must be a great feeling. Ho ho ho!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    This is a quick (15 minute) intro to why a LCHF WOE works for T2Ds, which I found helpful when I was just starting out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ&t=122s
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that was great! I wish my Drs would listen to that and take it to heart!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    There's also Jenny Ruhl's Blood Sugar 101.
  • redimock
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I forgot about that video - thanks for the reminder @MyriiStorm! I will send him the link right away!

I have read Volek & Phinney, but I am not sure it's a good starting out book for my dad. I will have to read the Bernstein book and see if I think it will convince him. Why We Get Fat was my my light bulb book (which I read after reading Volek & Phinney mention in in their Art & Science book (which I also loved, but Taubes actually made me cry).

I hope I can convince my dad. Seeing him starting on insulin at 62 is scary for me - especially when I know he can reverse it!

• redimock
    Options
    And @RalfLott - I hadn't heard of Ruhl's book - I'll have to check it out too!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I forgot about that video - thanks for the reminder @MyriiStorm! I will send him the link right away!

I have read Volek & Phinney, but I am not sure it's a good starting out book for my dad. I will have to read the Bernstein book and see if I think it will convince him. Why We Get Fat was my my light bulb book (which I read after reading Volek & Phinney mention in in their Art & Science book (which I also loved, but Taubes actually made me cry).

I hope I can convince my dad. Seeing him starting on insulin at 62 is scary for me - especially when I know he can reverse it!

Every aging parent should have a kid like you. <3B)
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reference to Blood Sugar 101, I will look into it.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    PS. There's also her Diet 101 (on LC).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Fung's Obesity Code has a fair amount of advice tha a T2D can use, although his science is not as strong.

The old book, Pure, White and Deadly was an eye opener for me too.
  • redimock
    Options
    Obesity Code is one of my favorites too, but I want to start him out slow with low carb, then get him into fasting :smile:

Tapping my foot waiting for him to watch the video.... :#
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Obesity Code is one of my favorites too, but I want to start him out slow with low carb, then get him into fasting :smile:

I know a lot of people love the benefits of fasting, but it is a huge lifestyle change. I know you understand that and it definitely sounds like you're trying to get your dad to make the choice for himself to make some positive changes to improve his diabetes, but even just going very low carb is a huge change that can take some time to adjust to. I just wanted to share that I've been diabetic for 12 years, on insulin for 6 years and I successfully got off my meds by just going VLC. I've never fasted or really even done any intermittent fasting, unless I've been too busy to eat or traveling. If VLC alone doesn't work, just adding in some daily walking can make up the difference for some people in terms of BG management. It took me 3 separate tries to go very low carb, and that was after eating moderately low carb (100g) for many years. He's very lucky to have your support, I wish you both all the best.
  • redimock
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland You are so right! What I'd really love is for him to give VLC a chance, see how he feels, and see how his numbers are affected. Crossing my fingers!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I think many of us got into IF and fasting after going very LCHF because we weren't hungry. He might find his way there on his own if he goes very LCHF for a while.

So... Has he watched yet? ;)