Question on timing

Options
jst4fun140
jst4fun140 Posts: 11 Member
I've tried omad before & ran into the issue of having low blood sugar issues. I work 18-24 hr shifts with clients & if I eat my meal too early I can get light-headed & faint later in the day....if I eat later, I can get the same way before eating. One time I ended up laying down with my clients tending to me!
I really want to do this woe but what things can I do to avoid this on the days I work? I need to lose at least 80 lbs. I've never been diagnosed with diabetes or hypoglycemia although I know I've experienced hypoglycemia. It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally. Most days I do well. Thanks for your input.

Replies

• 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the same problem to be honest. I couldn't get through the day without eating else I'd suffer a bout of headaches and lightheadedness...

I would suggest to start slow. I first swapped lunch to protein shakes and moved on from there. Baby steps. Your body has been used to eating one way . You cant just wake up one day and change everything immediately.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    jst4fun140 wrote: »
    I've tried omad before & ran into the issue of having low blood sugar issues. I work 18-24 hr shifts with clients & if I eat my meal too early I can get light-headed & faint later in the day....if I eat later, I can get the same way before eating. One time I ended up laying down with my clients tending to me!
    I really want to do this woe but what things can I do to avoid this on the days I work? I need to lose at least 80 lbs. I've never been diagnosed with diabetes or hypoglycemia although I know I've experienced hypoglycemia. It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally. Most days I do well. Thanks for your input.

Hey there!

Welcome!

Provided you are not diabetic or have liver issues, you need to fully convert your body to running on fat storage instead of on sugar. In a week or just over, you should be converted over. Go for a lower-carb OMAD, or else try smaller meals. You may be carb-sensitive, in which case it will be harder for you for a while. Beyond that, if you can't get passed it, you will have to learn to supplement low-blood-sugar moments with caloric beverages.

Reach out if you have trouble.

-Joe
  • jst4fun140
    Options
    Joe,
    If I use juice in those cases, will I eventually get past the lows & even out? Or will supplementing with the juice continue to make me dependent on it?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    jst4fun140 wrote: »
    I've tried omad before & ran into the issue of having low blood sugar issues. I work 18-24 hr shifts with clients & if I eat my meal too early I can get light-headed & faint later in the day...if I eat later, I can get the same way before eating. One time I ended up laying down with my clients tending to me!

Do you have iron deficiency or anemia? How are your mineral levels? Please get screened by a physician just in case there are any underlying problems so that you don't keep passing out .
  • jst4fun140
    Options
    I did have a bit of anemia at the time & started taking iron supplements. I didn't actually pass out. Just got light headed, shaky, sweaty....it happened twice last time I did omad. I probably need to be more prepared with broth for electrolytes & some juice on hand. Most days I felt great & had no issues whatsoever. I just didn't like that both times it happened was when I was at work. It could be that I was more active & more stress at work which caused me to be more susceptible to it.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You may be totally a glucose burner and can't access your fat yet for energy like Joe said. Coconut oil is supposed to be easily assimilated without a lot of digestion and can get your body used to burning fat (low [zero] carb suggestion). You may try that (just eat 1/2 tsp about every hour or so) and see if that helps. It will not spike your insulin and make you crazy hungry like eating carbs will. If you do have the problem anyways, you may need to get the blood sugar up quick with the carb beverage as was recommended. You may want to consult with your Dr.