Resources/Recommends for 52yr old beginner appreciated

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
Good morning...

I'm a 52 year old female, have lost a total of about 40lbs over the past two years when diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, 15 more to get to suggested goal weight and have been advised by my doctor to start "strength training" for both fitness and the T2 along with my walking every day and improved dietary choices.

I have never exercised and I have just started researching what strength training is and how to do it but there is a huge array of information out there ..even searching the topic just on MFP has me a little overwhelmed as a beginner so when I saw this group I thought it might be a great place to ask for any resources or recommended websites/readings from those of you who are actually DOING it?

I was given a resistance band by my doctor and I have access to what I "think" is a universal gym in my condo, but no free weights at this time.

No worries if no replies, realize its a big request but any assistance would be much appreciated... :bigsmile:

Replies

• Snooozie
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • RockClimber69
    RockClimber69 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I would strongly recommend Scoobysworkshop.com (there are beginner workouts on there for women) and Nerdfitness.

If you can afford it, you may want to think about getting a couple of sessions with a personal trainer who can set up a workout for you.

Good luck!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Much appreciated rock - I think your right about the trainer; as much as i ihave been reading up on ST think it might be eat to have a professional start me off. Will check out the scooby site tho for sure. Thanks!
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Here is a great article for you:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html

I also highly recommend reading either Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, and The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Liu Schuler. Both are excellent and will teach you proper form and as well as the benefits to strength training and both outline beginner programs.

I'm 46 and just started back in June myself. I hired a personal trainer that worked with me for five weeks, now I'm doing it on my own. Nerd Fitness is an excellent resource, and ExRx.com and bodybuilding.com have videos that demonstrate how to do exercises that you might read about. Best wishes to you. :)
  • rsward
    rsward Posts: 45
    Options
    Bump
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Lenora; know I sent you a PM thanking u for the resources; I found a super kineiseologist/trainer thru my work who dsicovered some mobility issues we had to fix first but am now about to begin .. have book marked the resources you sent for a little down the road lol! Thanks again to you (and Rockclimber) for the replies! :bigsmile:
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You are very welcome. I wish someone had really stressed to me the importance of going slow when beginning. The StrongLifts and Starting Strength programs focus a lot on strength gains, that's good to an extent, just be sure to listen to your body and allow for enough rest and recovery, that may mean only two strength days a week initially. Having a trainer will help greatly. :)
  • thehealthyf00die
    thehealthyf00die Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I recently asked one of my friends for a website where I can start working on my strength training & muscle building. She suggested: http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

At first I was hesitant because I am not looking to be a bodybuilder, but my friend is toned yet not bulky & she said it was great for her. You can choose between different plans they have available & it's all free.

Hope that helps & best of luck!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    :bigsmile: thanks very muh urban!! will add it to my list and check it out!!! I'm still in the baby beginner moves lol... but appreciate all info that i can research as i progress...

lenora my trainer said the same thing about going slow.. i'm only at 3 time a week to start, and only push ups, pull ups, squats and lunges right now as i still have some mobility issues im working on...and of course being a complete newbie at any exercise lol.. but i've already progressed a wee bit in being able to get thru all the sets ..well not completely but every day i'm closer than i was the day before!:laugh: