Living the Lifestyle (LTL) - Thursday, 12/29/16

Options
leeless511
leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Tuesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Wednesday -- minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday -- leeless511 (Lee)
Friday -- GadgetGirlIL (Regina)

Today's topic: New Years Eve & Day celebrations, just for fun let us know what you're doing and how you celebrate New Years Eve and/or New Years Day such as parties/traditions etc.? Are there elements of what you do related to "Living the Lifestyle?"

Replies

• leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    We are pretty much home bodies for the holiday, if we do anything we do it during the day for NYE. For January 1st we have a nice lunch at home and catch up with friends or family during the day. That is our normal, this year we have no formal plans at this time. This is a big year of change for us, since our parents are all gone now and our kids live out of state. We do travel to them for either Thanksgiving or Christmas but this is our year where we will go at another time. So...we are building new traditions and my influence in what we do is to do more activities, such as hiking, visits to the parks etc. We will have some food traditions, favorites that we don't indulge in regularly but not overindulgence.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Find a good old movie to watch & go to bed early.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    New Year's Eve has not been a big deal for us for awhile. Went out to eat at nice restaurant last time I remember. Have shot off my carbide canon years past. Not so much now.

Activity activity activity are always big celebrations for many folks including the early New Year's Day first run of the year events. I have participated in a number of New Year's Day bike rides including several organized ones over the years.

I have been unsuccessful in convincing my friends (who drug me off to WW during a bike ride) that "hello folks" the real tradition of New Year's Day is to get in points for moving.

They have a New Year's Day party with PJs but since it is at their house they don't do anything moving wise. I have been a little bit successful in getting some interest with one of the folks who goes there.

I will ride my bike early and show up late for a veggie omelet etc. I just can't imagine just sitting and eating/drinking and having nothing to show for my activity calendar. It would just put me in the hole getting the New Year's started. I don't like having to play catch up.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    For several years we attended a Watch Night service at our church on NWE. This year we are going to DS' house for a small family party. I don't use alcohol, so, while I am sure there will be some tasty, but not point-friendly snacks, I should remain under control. New Years Day is all about football on TV.

The good thing is this is the end of "THE HOLIDAYS" and the weather next week should be cold, but sunny. I hope to get to the mountains for some snowshoeing and otherwise work off some of the indulgences of the recent past.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The last time that I remember staying up until the new year rolled in was the year 2000. DH was working for AT&T at the time so was at work to make sure the computers didn't freak out when the new year started.

Our New Year's Eve is low key. We have pizza and watch a DVD. I'm typically in bed at 9pm. I'm just naturally an early riser these days so 9pm feels late to me.

New Year's Day will most certainly involve activity. There isn't any snow in the forecast (boo) and what was on the ground melted with the brief warmup we had earlier this week. So there may be an outdoor run at the local forest preserve depending on how I feel after running on Saturday. Otherwise, weights and a swim will happen. The rest of the day will be spent getting paperwork organized to close out the year and get ready for taxes for my two little business ventures.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with all the happenings in the world right now, I'm not feeling like much of a 'Happy New Year'. Therefore I won't be attending or hosting any parties or celebrations. The good side of that is I won't be tempted to do a bunch of eating or drinking either (unless it's emotional from angst, which I won't rule out).

We do have snow in the forecast from now 'til midday Friday and the promise of a little sun on New Year's Day. If that's the case, I will definitely get out to my local wildlife management area for a little photography that day. What's left of our old snow is now a solid base below what's currently falling so I will mix the photography with snowshoeing in some way, shape or form.

I have discovered I am an emotional eater (among other reasons) and I am learning that within reason, the more time I spend outside away from food, the better. So maybe New Year's is shaping up to be just perfect for me...
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    New Year's Eve is usually a quiet night watching network shows and seeing the ball drop in Times Square. I usually check CNN to see Kathy Griffin try to embarrass Anderson Cooper.

New Years Day usually means watching Bowl games but this year I hope to see Green Bay Packers beat Lions on Sunday and will watch Rose Bowl on Monday.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    DW and I haven't decided as of yet but we're not party folks and haven't been invited out so we're probably going to have a quiet dinner and just kick back. Neither of us drink alcohol so that won't be a problem. So it's not just another evening it's New Year's Eve and that's not your ordinary evening at least for us it's not. The 1st we're having Greens, Black eyed peas and some kind of lean pork and probably a little cornbread after we get back from New Years Day Church Service. Then watch some football.