Rock Your Resolution: January 2017 Challenge, Week 1 (1/1-1/7)

Options

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @williams969 thanks! :) And yeah, I've done so much yoyoing. And I've lost track of how many times I've hit goal after re-losing 20 or more lbs and said, "OK, that's it; no more yoyoing!"

ETA: My goal range for maintenance is 130-133. If I ever truly recomp though, I am totally fine with the scale number going up as long as clothing fit, waist measurement, etc., aren't negatively affected. I'm 5'7" but I was only 150 lbs when I was diagnosed with prediabetes; my body seems to function best at a relatively low BMI.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @williams969 thanks! :) And yeah, I've done so much yoyoing. And I've lost track of how many times I've hit goal after re-losing 20 or more lbs and said, "OK, that's it; no more yoyoing!"

Yass! 2017 is going to be our "no yo-yo New Year"!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! May we all start it off right and keep it going!!

My 2017 Resolutions:

1. More sleep. Now I average about 5 - 6.5 hrs a night during the week and could/will easily sleep 9-10 hrs on Friday & Saturday nights. I'd like to make it more even, like 7-8 hrs each night. I made progress in 2016 as before then I was really bad with sleep (4-5 hrs a night).

2. Keep carbs at keto levels. They have begun to creep. I easily could eat 50-150 in a day and try to justify it. I have autoimmune issues so keto levels are my ideal (learned thru trial & error). I'm okay with veggie or leafy carbs, my issues are with the nuts and refined or processed carbs.

3. Reduce or eliminate inflammatory foods. I KNOW coffee, nuts, and chocolates are my biggest offenders but man it's hard to even contemplate a full elimination of those. In December, I reduced my nut intake by omitting almond butter from my morning coffee but I still eat homemade lowcarb almond butter cookies frequently. When I'm out of those, which will be very soon, we shall see what happens. Dairy is a small offender only 1-2 TBS a day of heavy whipping cream and the odd wheel of babybel, so I think that's not so bad. Chocolate....I'll think about that one some more. I did try substituting coffee with green tea but all it did was make me hungry all day, like famished hungry.

All in all I think they are reasonable goals I can work on and not unrealistic. I'm not really motivated to lose weight right now but would be open to the surprise of a whoosh.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    3 January goals:
    :
    Weekend compliance...12 checks
    20 Carb per day...27 checks
    Gym for 30 min... 20 checks

Shooting for 59 checks for the month.
    Retail therapy assigned at each 3 lb loss.

• astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    For now I just want to exercise consistently. My goal is to work out four days a week for the month of January
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My goal is to not have cheat meals, days, weekends and/or weeks. My highest was 196. I am at 135 and wanna get to 115 so my clothes will fit me. My biggest question/concern is how do u stick w/this thing? I am n a 12 step program for alcohol but this food thing is super hard. I have always looked at carbs/sugar as my reward, after a long day at work, etc. Thx for this post
  • azsundancer
    azsundancer Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    January Goals for 2017

01 Be consistent
    02 Log in my food everyday good or bad
    03 64 - 80 oz water everday
    04. 30 min at the least workout everyday
    05. 10k steps everyday
    06. Eat less junky carbs
    07. Learn about Paleo
    08. Take before pics X
    09. Take measurements
  • whitneyr137
    whitneyr137 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    January Plans

1. Exercise 30 minutes, 4 days per week
    2. Net carbs (carbs - fiber only) less than 50g on the weekdays, max of 100g on one weekend day only
    3. Weight <210lbs by the end of the month
    4. Start having daily devotion time with the hubs every morning
    5. No booze..except on my bday weekend trip which is the 19th :smile:

Like most people, I've not behaved myself the past several weeks which lead to me gaining from my low weight of 212 back up to 220 this AM. :neutral: There was quite a bit of alcohol last night so I'm hoping some of that is bloating...

Here's to a fresh start!
  • jewels1nc
    jewels1nc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My goals:
    1. Log food daily
    2. Try to keep carbs at 50g
    3. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day - at least 4 days a week
    4. Drink 64 oz of water daily
  • ked24_7
    ked24_7 Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hey there- I'm new to the group but very excited. I've previously done well with low carb diets and love how I feel once I detox... so with that in mind I'm jumping on the new year band wagon and using the extra "umphh" to get started again!
    January goals--
    1- log everyday- no matter what!
    2- exercise 4x per week
    3- stop binge eating!
    ETA starting weight 190-- goal 170 but may need to modify depending on possible pregnancy.

Feel free to add me if anyone would like to! My diary is open to friends :).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm here.

Okay 2016 was the year I slid through menopause. I joined MFP years back when peri-menopause started, and said my goal was to "manage menopause".
    On some fronts I've done really well. It's been many many months since my last normal period, not quite a year, yet, I *know* I'm done. I just know. I'm within 7Lbs of my favorite weight/7Lbs from where I was before the whole perimenopause thing began. YAY 7Lbs. yay me!

During the transition:
    I switched from static weight training to power yoga and restorative yoga (in addition to Pilates). I added more slow speed running in. I still aim for 10k steps a day. All good.

Now
    I'm still working on the BEST dietary approach for hotflashes, night sweats, mood swings, tinnitus and vertigo (yay menopause!).

SO!
    My 2017 goals:
    Lose the 7Lbs.
    find the best balance. I *suspect* that's going to be even more plant based than I already am. I suspect it will be caffeine free and largely wine free (oy). I predict it will be even more SLOW carb.
    But I'm gonna figure it out.

TL;DR
    my goals: -7 and some balance.
    With that balance, and therefore SOME SLEEP, I hope to run more and do more yoga.
    cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    My goal is to not have cheat meals, days, weekends and/or weeks. My highest was 196. I am at 135 and wanna get to 115 so my clothes will fit me. My biggest question/concern is how do u stick w/this thing? I am n a 12 step program for alcohol but this food thing is super hard. I have always looked at carbs/sugar as my reward, after a long day at work, etc. Thx for this post

Going from 196 to 135 is a fantastic accomplishment! Being in a 12-step program for alcohol is no walk in the park, either. You've shown that you have guts and determination. As for the difficulty sticking with this WOE, all I can say is think about the consequences of going back to the eating habits that got you up to 196. Love yourself enough to not let that happen again. You're worth it!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

I agree with pp; good for you!!
    For me, I did find that as I learned from this group and stuck with this WOE, I started to think of food as fuel more than a reward. I still have treats at times but they're at least LCHF-friendly (for the most part), e.g. one satisfying square of dark chocolate rather than indulging in more sugary things that only lead to carb cravings.

Also, this might sound overly simple but making a list of other ways to reward yourself or to unwind that are not food-related can be helpful. (Or one of them could even be a favorite drink; I'll sometimes go for a cup of tea or decaf.)
  • ked24_7
    ked24_7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Also, this might sound overly simple but making a list of other ways to reward yourself or to unwind that are not food-related can be helpful. (Or one of them could even be a favorite drink; I'll sometimes go for a cup of tea or decaf.)

What a great idea! My reward is always food, and I frequently struggle with ideas for celebrating in other ways. Thanks for the insight... now to Pinterest for ideas :)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

For me, I did find that as I learned from this group and stuck with this WOE, I started to think of food as fuel more than a reward. I still have treats at times but they're at least LCHF-friendly (for the most part), e.g. one satisfying square of dark chocolate rather than indulging in more sugary things that only lead to carb cravings.

Thank you for posting this! I completely forgot that I have a list of rewards for milestone losses and I haven't given myself a single one. After 30 pounds I have some rewarding to do!!
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    2 Jan 2017

By 31 December 2017 I want to :
    • Be back in size 14 or smaller jeans
    • Be jogging/ running at least 20km per week
    • Have registered for and run at least 5 races
    • Lifting heavy at least 3 times per week
    • Consistently eating low carb/Keto and be fully fat adapted with little effort

To achieve these I know I will need to take baby steps while keeping my eye on the prize. The first baby steps are to take place now in January:

• Cut out alcohol completely. I may re-introduce it later but only when I am confident with my self-control and it is a treat to enjoy not a crutch for my life and work stress issues.
    • Cut carbs down to 25g net with at least 15g from veg.
    • Start exercising again. This will be slow because I need to get my lower back pain sorted out first before I can go into full workout mode. Which means just introducing a short evening walk each day for now and build from there.
    • 30 mins strength training 4 days a week. I'll be starting off with resistance bands for now.
    • Log everyday good or bad.
    • Plan my meals weekly even when traveling.

My heavy travel schedule is going to be a challenge I know but I have done this before so I can do it again.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My goal is to have a 32 in waist by Feb. 1 and a 30 in waist overall. Right now in fluctuate between 34 and 32. Track daily max 20 carbs and exercise 7 days a week for a min of 15 min. Don't binge and follow OA 12 steps. Feel free to friend me. HAPPY NEW YEAR.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    January Goals:

Lose 5lbs
    Keep walking everyday
    Log log log! Helps me stay on track
    Only weigh once a week
    Stay as low carb as I can....30-35
    Drink lots of water!

Starting weight: 157lbs
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

Great suggestion. Go out for coffee with friends. Go shopping and buy yourself a book, gadget, whatever. Get your hair or nails done. Buy yourself new clothes. Go to a movie, play, or event. You are only limited by your preferences and imagination.
  • AggieHighland
    AggieHighland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Greetings All!

Female, 43, 5' 10", 278.6 (which believe it or not was better than I was anticipating, I was guessing around 285). Looooooong way to go.

My diet yo-yo began about 15 years ago. When I started "losing weight" at that time I weighed 273. My lowest during this time was 190.

My (weight) goals are as follows: 250, 230, 215, 190 - and then I will re-evaluate.

My goals (fitness) are spinning 3-4 times a week. Dog walk (3.5km) with weighted pack 5-7 days a week. Core work 3 times a week.

I have been investigating LCHF since October. I've never done it before, started yesterday.

Here we go ...