I've been wondering about increased carb sensitivity.

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
So I've been LCHF for a little over a year now, keto for most of that time.

Previously it seemed like I could easily maintain at about 100-120 gm carbs per day. Now (since I've been trying to be at maintenance since March) I've done some experimenting and it seems like I tend to struggle if I go over about 80 gm carbs/day (start gaining weight, increased cravings, etc.). What is that about? Any insights? I'm a little paranoid that I've messed up my metabolism and I'll *have* to stay keto/VLC for life. I'm fine with staying low carb for life but it would be nice to have some more flexibility within that range like I did before I tried keto.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well, it seems like eating VLC will make you more sensitive to carbs as we knew them...

I had a hydrogen breath test that required 50g of glucose after a fast. *Kitten* if my BG didn't skyrocket to 300 within an hour. :s

But my diabetes doc said not to worry - you'd need several days (not weeks!) of eating moderately low carb before a glucose tolerance test would be useful.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing. since May I was roughly at 30-40 carbs total and when I increased to 60 grams and my fbs are at average 105 when they had plummeted to 80s when I first started. Now I'm back at 20 g (4 days a week when I'm at work) and up to 40 g on the weekends when I'm with my family. Just allows for flexibility. I'm curious why this happens. Hopefully one of our wonderful diabetic gurus can shed some light on it
  • genmon00
    Options
    Ok so I took my mfp friends advice @SuperCarLori and just Google it! I'm glad I did so basically what i understand is that eating at keto our bodies learn to process foods differenfly using different enzymes since fat breaks down differently than carbs. So after a while our bodies expect us to eat low carb so when we eat more carbs it scrambles to break it down which may increase our blood sugar. I hope by lowering my carbs again I will see those 80s again.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 I was feeling like such a *kitten* yesterday. It definitely came through, didn't it? My bad :D

It's true though lol
  • macchiatto
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Ok so I took my mfp friends advice @SuperCarLori and just Google it! I'm glad I did so basically what i understand is that eating at keto our bodies learn to process foods differenfly using different enzymes since fat breaks down differently than carbs. So after a while our bodies expect us to eat low carb so when we eat more carbs it scrambles to break it down which may increase our blood sugar. I hope by lowering my carbs again I will see those 80s again.

Ugh. I guess I could google it too. ;) From what you saw, is this reversible?
  • macchiatto
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Well, it seems like eating VLC will make you more sensitive to carbs as we knew them...

I had a hydrogen breath test that required 50g of glucose after a fast. *Kitten* if my BG didn't skyrocket to 300 within an hour. :s

But my diabetes doc said not to worry - you'd need several days (not weeks!) of eating moderately low carb before a glucose tolerance test would be useful.

Wow!
    Do you know if this is reversible or am I screwed for life?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Wow!

No, you'd be back close to "normal", whatever that imay be, in not too long.
  • macchiatto
    Options

Wow!

No, you'd be back close to "normal", whatever that imay be, in not too long.

Oh, got it, thank you. So like a gradual increase of carbs to whatever my "normal" was?
  • macchiatto
    Options

I feel like the choice of carbs you introduce will matter a lot too.
    I'd go with sweet potato and certain fruits before I'd try white potato or grains or sugar of course.

Definitely. That's what I want to try.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've added sweet potatoes, some fruit, rice, and low carb wraps back into my diet, but I will rotate through them where it's only about one to two times a week. My body freaks out with inflammation and pain if wintry to have any more than that. This has seemed to work for my maintenance. I'm not gaining weight and am happy with that.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @karlottap that's great! Thanks for sharing.
  • genmon00
    Options

Ugh. I guess I could google it too. ;) From what you saw, is this reversible?
    [/quote]

Nope lol if you increase your excerise then it may help bring the fbs down but what I got that once your lchf then it's basically a "eat and see" to figure out your carb cap. I think mine maybe be 40-50 but I'm just trying this out this week
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Wow, that's depressing! Though since I'm getting conflicting answers here I may need to do some more research.
  • genmon00
    Options
    Wow, that's depressing! Though since I'm getting conflicting answers here I may need to do some more research.

Awww I didn't mean to get you depressed! Every one is different so who knows if it may be different for you I hope so! I'm trying my anytime absolute best to stay only on metformin to control my diabetes i think if iincreased it my dosage i could eat more carbs but i don't want too Pls follow up with what you find out about this subject inquiring minds want to know :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

Awww I didn't mean to get you depressed! Every one is different so who knows if it may be different for you I hope so! I'm trying my anytime absolute best to stay only on metformin to control my diabetes i think if increased it my dosage i could eat more carbs but i don't want too Pls follow up with what you find out about this subject inquiring minds want to know :)

Yep. You can be your very own 2017 science project!

@cstehansen posted this great BG testing protocol. You'll never know which end of the curve you're on without a 'sperimint.

https://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

Good news - once you've got your n=1 figured out, you can coast (for a while)!
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Interesting! I don't test BG but I did have prediabetes before (and my parents, both grandmothers, aunt and sister all have T2D) and my fasting blood sugars have been around 80 pretty consistently the past 2 years.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Hm looks like most of my results have been in the "ideal" range from that link except my A1C. It was either 5.5 or 5.6 even after I'd been eating keto for about 4 months (it was last tested in March). I wonder if it's any better now.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Interesting! I don't test BG but I did have prediabetes before (and my parents, both grandmothers, aunt and sister all have T2D) and my fasting blood sugars have been around 80 pretty consistently the past 2 years.

Sorry, I had you in the T2D camp. If you were diagnosed as prediabetic with such skimpy FBGs, though, I suspect your post-prandial levels must be high enough to offset the low FBG and elevate your HbA1c into the prediabetic range.

If you're inclined - you can get a Bayer Contour Next Meter (top ranked by Consumer Reports) for around $10, as well as soon-expiring Contour Next test strips off eBay for pretty cheap.

Testing is good because it gives you information about how you handle different foods in different quantities - and some of info will likely be pleasantly surprising! (For me, it was discovering that some well-aged cheeses, cream cheese, and live-culture yogurts are ok, even though other dairy isn't.)
  • macchiatto
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sorry, I had you in the T2D camp. If you were diagnosed as prediabetic with such skimpy FBGs, though, I suspect your post-prandial levels must be high enough to offset the low FBG and elevate your HbA1c into the prediabetic range.

If you're inclined - you can get a Bayer Contour Next Meter (top ranked by Consumer Reports) for around $10, as well as soon-expiring Contour Next test strips off eBay for pretty cheap.

Testing is good because it gives you information about how you handle different foods in different quantities - and some of info will likely be pleasantly surprising! (For me, it was discovering that some well-aged cheeses, cream cheese, and live-culture yogurts are ok, even though other dairy isn't.)

No probs. Thanks for the info!

The prediabetes was about 4 years ago. At the time I had a 2-hr oral GTT and my fasting blood sugar was 107 and my 1-hr (I think it was the 1-hr; it was supposed to be below 140) was in the 140s. I did the Dukan Diet at the time, lost about 10% of my body weight and reversed the prediabetes. I've had good numbers since then, although my A1C isn't quite as low as I'd like.

I also had high tri's at the time of the prediabetes (250s) and got those down to 52. I have PCOS and think I have insulin resistance and with my family Hx and the previous prediabetes, I do try to be careful!