Mark OMAD Log

Options
pauleta1000
pauleta1000 Posts: 14 Member
Been doing OMAD since 26/12/2016, 7 days in.

I didn't weigh myself beforehand but I was around 247-250 a few days before and I'd say I was still around there when starting.

History - was skinny during teenage years, very active in sports, put on roughly 60 pounds between ages of 21-26. 26 now. The reason for the gain was pure gluttony and a lack of gym. I always ate like a pig but I was an ectomorph and loved the gym and being active. Once my dream of going pro in sports was ended I became fat. Drank quite a bit too.

Because I have a week off work during the holidays and because I'm generally an extreme person I've been doing OMAD in a more extreme way. Typically I have one good meal which contains a whole load of rice and some kind of meat until I'm full. The next day I just have a tin of Tuna and some cheese as my OMAD meal. I feel great. Full of energy and totally committed to seeing this through.

Weighed myself on 31/12/17 and I was 241.25. Around 6-9 pounds down. I was happy with that. I can feel the pounds going from my waist already.

I will transition into a more conservative version of OMAD this week because I'm back in work on Tuesday and I'll need the calories. So I'll replace the Tuna and cheese OMAD with a proper meal. Im glad I was able to get a Kickstart though.

I'll update more as I'm going along. I'll try weigh myself weekly or biweekly. I have bummed myself out before during diets when I weighed myself and didn't see a loss but I'm prepared for that to happen and if it does I'll handle it. I've twice lost my weight over the years but gained it back. Once was through tim ferriss slow carb diet and the other was through fasting. The reason I gained the weigh back from the slow carb diet is because I went off beans and that was all I was eating on the diet. I also binge do. It was too restrictive.

The reason I put the weight back on after losing it by fasting was because I went through a very tough loss of someone close to me and kind of had a mental breakdown and just ate. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I'm much stronger now and have the skills and determination to handle anything like that again without turning to food. I've done a lot of self development over the past year and it's paying huge dividends. This OMAD has been a total piece of cake so far.

It's not a question of if I'll do this, its a question of when I will be at my goal weight and transitioning into maintainance.

I wish everyone all the best. I've read a lot of threads and you all seem like really nice people who are doing their best. I have a lot of respect and admiration for anyone who has made the decision to do this and taken steps forward.

Replies

• Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
    You really seem to have the right attitude for omading, I hope this will be the way for you!

I'm so sorry for your loss, I think every one here can relate.We all got our own stories to why we overeat and more than a few do it because of a loss of some kind. I do hope to hear more from you later on! Happy New year! :)
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hello Paula:

Sounds like you're doing great. Welcome to OMAD!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • pauleta1000
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I wasn't intending on posting until next week but I just thought I'd log something.

The last time I was fasting I was doing 48 hour fasts. After a while I noticed that I had really rough nights sleeping. This tended to happen after 3-4 48 hour fasts back to back. Not sure why but I think it might have something to do with dehydration.

Anyway, after my 7th day of this modified OMAD, which is not quite a 48 hour fast like I did before but pretty similar because I only take 200-400 cals every other day, I've had a rough night sleeping. Tossing and turning & continually waking up.

I haven't been drinking enough water and have been hitting coke zero hard so this is a mini wake up call. It might not be dehydration related. It might be due to fasting. I'm not sure. I'll focus on making sure I'm hydrated and see what happens. I remember using this as an excuse to eat last time but I won't do that this time.

I just thought I'd log this because it's something I completely forgot about and I got a hit of de ja vu last night when I was tossing and turning all night.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Hitting coke zero hard may be the culprit.
  • pauleta1000
    Options
    I agree blambo. Im going to start swapping in some water in place of some coke zero. The coke zero is so good during fasting but there's no reason why I can't slowly start replacing those drinks with water.

Just had a great meal. Nice big plate of rice, meatballs and sausages - and I'm on a diet! You can't beat OMAD!!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I wasn't intending on posting until next week but I just thought I'd log something.

The last time I was fasting I was doing 48 hour fasts. After a while I noticed that I had really rough nights sleeping. This tended to happen after 3-4 48 hour fasts back to back. Not sure why but I think it might have something to do with dehydration.

Anyway, after my 7th day of this modified OMAD, which is not quite a 48 hour fast like I did before but pretty similar because I only take 200-400 cals every other day, I've had a rough night sleeping. Tossing and turning & continually waking up.

I haven't been drinking enough water and have been hitting coke zero hard so this is a mini wake up call. It might not be dehydration related. It might be due to fasting. I'm not sure. I'll focus on making sure I'm hydrated and see what happens. I remember using this as an excuse to eat last time but I won't do that this time.

I just thought I'd log this because it's something I completely forgot about and I got a hit of de ja vu last night when I was tossing and turning all night.

When I drink soda I will not sleep. Try decaf iced tea and I think you will be okay. You have to stay hydrated. Drinks lots of water, ice tea, hot tea, and you can have a calorie beverage with your meal but like I said I would stay away from sodas, if possible.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I agree blambo. Im going to start swapping in some water in place of some coke zero. The coke zero is so good during fasting but there's no reason why I can't slowly start replacing those drinks with water.

Just had a great meal. Nice big plate of rice, meatballs and sausages - and I'm on a diet! You can't beat OMAD!!

Sounds good!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow I love your extreme OMAD idea. I've not followed OMAD for the past three days and surely gained a lot of weight so I'll do your idea and then weigh myself.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Just be careful with the extreme stuff that it doesn't go too far and discourage you! Good luck!
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I too have trouble sleeping when on a longer fast (never on OMAD) but I don't drink sodas at all, only water, tea and coffee. For me I think it's more about getting such energy kicks from the fast that I only need somewhere between 3 and 5 hours of sleep, compared to 8-9 a normal night.

If cutting out the coke zero doesn't help, maybe you should consider going to bed later these nights and getting up when you just can't sleep any more. Accept the fact so to say :) Or listen to an audio book in bed or something, that's what I do when I don't want to wake my husband up. Maybe some of us are more sensitive to the adrenaline effect the fast has on us, I don't know...

• pauleta1000
    Options
    Thanks guys.

When I drink soda I will not sleep. Try decaf iced tea and I think you will be okay. You have to stay hydrated. Drinks lots of water, ice tea, hot tea, and you can have a calorie beverage with your meal but like I said I would stay away from sodas, if possible.

I love iced tea, that's a good idea, thanks!
  • pauleta1000
    Options
    Anneli_F wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I too have trouble sleeping when on a longer fast (never on OMAD) but I don't drink sodas at all, only water, tea and coffee. For me I think it's more about getting such energy kicks from the fast that I only need somewhere between 3 and 5 hours of sleep, compared to 8-9 a normal night.

If cutting out the coke zero doesn't help, maybe you should consider going to bed later these nights and getting up when you just can't sleep any more. Accept the fact so to say :) Or listen to an audio book in bed or something, that's what I do when I don't want to wake my husband up. Maybe some of us are more sensitive to the adrenaline effect the fast has on us, I don't know...

I had a better night's sleep since that night. I went to bed on a full stomach and had drank some water during the day so I'm sure that helped. I think there may be some ring of truth to not needing as much sleep. I never thought of that but I can see the point.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hi, Paula. Sounds like you are ripe and ready for great things! Welcome!
  • pauleta1000
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I think I'll do the splurge day as a test and report back. This will be done on Sunday. I am very curious to see if splurging affects me physically. Whatever happens, I know i have the mental strength and desire to get right back into OMAD anyway. In theory, Splurge day is a healthy thing from a physical and mental perspective.

As far as the diet is going, just a minor update just to say that I think I've completely adapted to OMAD already. I think the modified OMAD where I only took in 200-400 calories (no carbs) on alternate days really drove my body into fat adaptation. I am 10 days in now and now I'm doing traditional OMAD - having one big meal every day. I don't even think about food during the day.

Another thing to note is that I really enjoy eating that meal when it comes. It's almost like my taste buds have become more sensitive.

One thing I would like to do in future is hold the cheat day as a float just in case something comes up and I would like to have it on a day I didn't expect to have it. So if this one on Sunday passes off without a hitch, I'll know that I can successfully do a splurge day and stay on OMAD and I'll have that experience in the bank. From there I won't really schedule splurge days but just keep them as a float. If the splurge day has some negative physical effects then I'll reconsider. I remember getting extremely bad diarrhea when I had splurge days when I was doing the slow carb diet that Tim ferriss created. Literally every time. Probably my body having an automatic flushing response to all that sugar I was shoveling down my throat!
  • blambo61
    Options
    I noticed everything tasted great and I slept really good also. For awhile there I had a mandatory splurge day. I didn't like having the battle should I or shouldn't I and just did it because I thought it would help for the rest of the week. Funny for almost the last two weeks now, I haven't had a splurge day but almost always did before. Having a floating day seems like a good strategy to me also. If you need it, then you know you haven't had many and don't have to worry about it much.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    A floating day sounds like a good plan.
  • pauleta1000
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Weekly weigh in and I weigh exactly the same.

Been following OMAD extremely strictly and I feel slimmer at the waist so I was very surprised.

I'm not sure what to think.

I'll keep it up for another week but if I see no loss again ill have to move into longer fasts and reduce calories when I actually do eat.

Cheat Day tomorrow might give me a boost. Maybe the body has down regulated my metabolism.
  • blambo61
    Options
    That happens sometimes. Give it a week and see how it goes.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @pauleta1000 Welcome aboard the OMAD train. Hope you enjoy the journey.