2017 Goals

Options
Seize_Today
Seize_Today Posts: 3 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
I really believe that to truly be effective in training, fitness, and nutrition, you need to have goals. Without goals, you have nothing to work towards, nothing to focus your attention on, no real rhyme or reason to what you’re doing. But goals can’t just be vague statements with no actual thought put into them. They need to have specific components to make sure that you can actually reach those goals and know exactly when you’ve done so.

Let’s look at an example:

Shittastic Goal:

I want to lose weight and be skinny.

Ok, so what? You want to shed three pounds? 10? 50? If you could lose five pounds, 10 years from now, would that make you happy? Would that be a goal successfully completed? Do you want to tone your muscles? Bench a certain number of pounds? Do you simply want to eat better? Be as specific as possible!

Awesome Goal:

I will lose five pounds in four weeks.

Now we’re talking. It’s specific (five pounds), timely (four weeks), attainable and realistic (depending on where you are in your fitness journey).

THIS is the type of goal that you can really focus on. The type of goal that when you reach it, you will know it, and you’ll be able to give yourself a big ol’ high five for doing so.

So, let's hear them! What are your short- and long-term goals? What are you hoping to accomplish?

Replies

• Amandaleigh3
    Amandaleigh3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Short term- Make it through the next week meeting my daily calorie and fitness goals. I find that if I can stick to my goals through the first week, things tend to get easier from there.

Short term 2- Drop 15 pounds by April 1. We are going on a week-long beach vacation April 1, and I would like to feel less self-conscious in my bathing suit.

Long term- I'd like to lose 25-30 pounds and keep it off.
  • ForMyGuys
    ForMyGuys Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like this.

Short term- Down a minumum of 8 lbs by my birthday in February. And get back in the habit of drinking more water. According to the website below I should be drinking 127+ ounces per day. I've been averaging 40-60. Eek!
    http://www.slenderkitchen.com/article/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day

Long term- I want to drop 25 lbs in 2017. More would be great, but I know realistically I'm going to be up and down as DH is being on the wagon with me or back to snacking drinking. The 25 lb in 52 weeks feels like something I'd be proud of, but still reasonable.
  • jnndk
    jnndk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Short term -- I just want to feel more fit. Id like to make myself get to the gym for weight training at least twice a week.
    Long term-- I'd love to fit back into my "skinny" clothes that are watching me from my garage.
  • C3E9
    C3E9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Short term-- I would like to lose 5 pounds on my 4 week challenge that will be starting soon. I want to make it to my zumba class at least 1 time a week.

Long term for the year-- Lose 35 to 40 pounds.
  • aeiks84
    aeiks84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Short-term: Lose 5 pounds in January.
    Long-term: Lose 40 pounds by the end of the year. More importantly, I would like to get stronger and in better shape. I want to feel more comfortable moving and in my own skin.
  • hijoannek
    hijoannek Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Short term: I really just want to go a whole week not going over my calorie count on MFP!
    Lose 5 pounds in January.

Long term: lose 15 pounds by June!
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Short Term - Increase my veggie consumption, log EVERYTHING daily - including drinking all my water.

Long Term - Lose 15 pounds by May 1st.
  • nxr013
    nxr013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Short term - drink more water, lose 6 lbs in January
    Medium term goal - Lose 25 lbs by May
    Long term goal - Lose 60 lbs
  • CrazyBaseballMom28
    Options
    Short term- get back on track, less crap!
    Mid- lose 5-10 lbs haven't braved the scale yet but my jeans tell me I'm at about this range and before y'all shoot. I started off 2 years ago 50 lbs heavier so, I did have a big chunk to lose once upon a time now I need to maintain it.
    Shittastic goal get to 135 lbs and lose looking like I'm 4-5 mos pregnant but this would probably require excluding things from my diet that I'm not willing and training that I don't have time & money for. This would require losing 10-15 lbs more from the lowest weight I've been in years so not likely to happen.
  • MOOSEandGIRAFFE
    MOOSEandGIRAFFE Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Short term - lose 5-7 lbs in time for my life insurance physical on 1/25.

Long term - use my elliptical trainer for at least 30 minutes a day, at least 5 times a week for the rest of the year. Learn to accept moderation in my diet. I obsessively eat well or obsessively eat poorly, depending on the day/week/month. I'm not choosing a weight loss goal for the year because I am hoping to get pregnant with and deliver #3 in 2017. I just want to start making lifestyle changes so that after baby the weight will hopefully come off.

• carlydonathan
    carlydonathan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Short term- clean my eating up! Workout 3 to 5 times a week.
    June 2017- get into the clothes I wore after I had my ODD
    Shittastic goal- get into the clothes I wore when i was dating DH. I'm giving myself a year for that business :) We are done having babies and my youngest daughter isn't BFing as much, so I can do this!
  • ladycc212
    ladycc212 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Short term: I'd like to lose 8-10 pounds before mid march. That will put me pretty much at my goal weight

Long term: get fit again. Exercise 3-4 days a week. And keep a healthy diet. More fruits and vegetables and less refined sugars. No binge eating!
  • Lizbeth710az
    Lizbeth710az Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Short term- clean up my eating, loose 1-2lbs a week
    Long term- lose 40lbs, be fit and healthy before we try for another squish!
  • zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Short Term:
    (1) lose at least 1 lb per week with cleaner eating
    (2) follow running plan

Long Term:
    (1) lose 25 lbs and MAINTAIN!
    (2) improve running time for 5k and 1/2 marathon
  • michele9961
    michele9961 Posts: 2 Member
    Options