January Coffee, Tea and Gratitude Chat

Options
DreamOn145
DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
I will admit that I am coming into this year in very rough shape. I just spent the past couple of weeks driving hundreds of miles and spending thousands of dollars in an attempt to save my little dog's life and my efforts failed. He died in my arms at the University of Florida small animal hospital on 12/30.

That said, we are all of an age where we know that loss and grief are a part of life. I have to move on and it is my responsibility to move into those things that will heal me. I am grateful that I have a husband who is grieving as hard as I am so that we can get through this together. I am grateful that I have an art studio that has been too long neglected and that I believe returning to my art will help heal my pain. I am grateful that I found a diet last year that allows me to control my rheumatoid arthritis without medication. And I am grateful that I have wonderful friends and a support network that will see me through this. The only direction we can move is forward.

Replies

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    This morning I am grateful for a friend of a friend who happens to be a holistic vet. she explained some things to me about my dogs illness and has freed me from feeling the guilt I was going through about possibly giving up on him too soon. She told me that some of these new high powered antibiotics they are using simply destroy bone marrow and that if I had continued with blood transfusions he would probably have been a very sick dog for the rest of his life. Oh the things we do in the name of healing. This also happens to people with these new antibiotics I found out. I am grateful for a new level of understanding about these things.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I have decided to make some adjustments in my macros in this new year. Kept cals the same at 1450 with Fitbit making adjustments, set my fat to 60%, carbs to 15%, and protein to 25%. I will follow this for a couple of weeks and see how I feel and if the scale likes it any better. I will still be doing low GI/GL veggies and fruits, doing mostly mono saturated fats. I've been reading up on low carb Meditteranean diet and it makes sense to me plus it is compatable with a lot of foods I like to eat anyway. I am also using my fish oil regularly again, along with potassium and magnesium supplements. I want to get to goal this year and maintain it into the coming year.

Janet, I am glad you had the chat with the vet. I am sure you doggie had gotten all the care and love possible. Be at peace with the fact that the poor thing is no longer suffering.
  • retirehappy
    Options
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've changed my way if eating this year. I've broken my meals up into 5 segments plus treats. It seems to be encouraging me to eat healthier with less junk snacks. I admit I was sick with no appetite when I decided to try this, but getting better now and it still seems to work. I'm not craving as much sweets as before which is a definite plus.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Gramanana, how is the new eating schedule working for you? Yea, for no cravings for sweets. That always is a good thing.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »
    This morning I am grateful for a friend of a friend who happens to be a holistic vet. she explained some things to me about my dogs illness and has freed me from feeling the guilt I was going through about possibly giving up on him too soon. She told me that some of these new high powered antibiotics they are using simply destroy bone marrow and that if I had continued with blood transfusions he would probably have been a very sick dog for the rest of his life. Oh the things we do in the name of healing. This also happens to people with these new antibiotics I found out. I am grateful for a new level of understanding about these things.

I'm so sorry for your pain, hugs and peace. Gayle