Mileage goals for new year?

Options
13»

Replies

• pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think my major issue is how to keep the group feeling like a group when everybody is out on a solo ride. It has to be something that avoids being too distracting. Any suggestions?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Do you have the Group Track feature in your 820? It's in my Fenix 5X and I've never had a chance to use it.

I won't be doing any centuries. I get pain in my neck and shoulders that starts a couple hours into a ride and gets worse until I stop. Around four hours is my limit.

At some point this summer we're making a trip to Banks Lake. Always bring my bike on these trips to ride in new places. If logistics work out I'll ride part of your century with you if you'd like some company or a draft.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    So how many people have an elevation gain goal for the year?

same as the distance goal - to beat 2016 figures, so - over 8580km distance and 81.4km of elevation. Think there MAY have been an elevation glitch in january 2016 where I did a "everest" one day in 2 laps of watopia so I'll not be too bent out of shape if I come up anything up to 8km short, but i'm still shooting for it.
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades My understanding of grouptrack is that everybody needs to be within 10 miles for people to appear on it. I'm pondering (maybe) putting an app together that uses GroupTrack, but shows stats for everybody, like time and distance/rider. Not sure if I should even try, but it does seem interesting at the least.

The big issues is including enough people, since GroupTrack requires the 800+ series, or the 1000. Not fond of excluding people because of tech. And the phone is right out, since I don't think many phone batteries would survive a century ride.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    CHECK IN:

YTD / GOAL = 616/2000 MI = 30.8%
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I believe a good guess on 2016 miles is right about 6,000 maybe 7,000. I lost track...Garmin chest strap quit on me so i quit wearing the watch and my phone was on the fritz therefore most of the time strava too. A few times snapped photos of my bike odometer once in awhile on the big numbers...like 8,000..10,000, and the last was 14,324. I live in fairly flat country so not sure elevation.
    Retired my 38.5lb Raleigh as a grocery getter.
    Got a new pretty 25lb bike **big grins** would like to see just how many miles I can rack up. At 25% speed increase, am going for personal goal of bigger distance and speed.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    well - small setback - having issues with a pain in my ribs, haven't been able to ride for past week, so I've dropped behind on 2016's figures...

nqth6fw070k6.png

still way in front of 2015, unsurprisingly, as I was sidelined with Pneumonia and the complications thereafter until around March, and WAY,WAY behind my last "proper" year of riding 2014 - which I'm unlikely to catch now I've got a day-job instead of being self employed and riding whenever the hell I liked...

Veloviewers projections make slightly depressing reading too... projecting a bit of a shortfall

eovgbbrw2l0q.png

at the end of the year - going to have to address that somehow - though in fairness, that projection is pretty heavily weighted towards my recent riding performance, which has been mullered by a complete week of not riding the bike...

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    well - small setback - having issues with a pain in my ribs, haven't been able to ride for past week, so I've dropped behind on 2016's figures...

Sorry.to.hear!...Ouch!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Check In:
    Completed the Chico Wildflower metric century on Sunday! 61 miles, about 2200 ft climbing (most of it over 4 miles starting around mile 12). The next ride is this coming Saturday - Santa Rosa Wine Country Century. I backed off from doing the metric after looking at the profile - not a lot of climbing but one sustained climb with grades I'm just not ready for (Chalk Hill if anybody knows the area). I'll do the 35 mile loop and enjoy the BBQ, and start hill repeats on Sunday :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I logged just over 4000 miles in 9 months last year so expecting to see about 5000 this year but not really setting a total mileage goal. Exploring some new areas/roads a bit further from home is my goal.

1500 miles so far this year and my first Century is coming up on Sunday.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Check-in: I am at 142 mi out of 4000. Doing horribly since my bike is in storage right now. Getting it out today and tuning it up asap...especially because I technically just started my cycling training plan, haha!
  • mkenny5
    mkenny5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    mkenny5 wrote: »
    Fell short of my 2016 goal of 7500Km by about ~250Km due to being out for an entire month because of injury. 2017 goal is for 8500Km with hopefully 60,000 metres of climbing.

Got ~4100Km horizontal and 32000 metres of vertical so far, ahead of target and coming in to summer time too. :)
  • columbus2015
    columbus2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Planned on 5000kms for the year... thinking 6000 is going to happen...
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Check in: YTD 1809.74 / 4000

Slightly ahead of schedule, assuming equal amount per month. Doing OK-ish, but had hoped to be a bit further - minor distractions like illnesses and getting married have got in the way. Hoping to up my mileage over the next couple of months.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow, my measly 450 miles last year was nothing compared to the numbers here! I was going to say I'd like to shoot for 400 this year, but now it just sounds silly. lol
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    No goal is silly. There is nothing measly about 450 miles in a year either. It's all a matter or perspective. My friend who is a runner and casually bikes, his goal in a given year is maybe 200 miles, mainly for the sake of cross training and a change of pace.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    That's true. Because cycling is only a part of what I do. Good point.
  • mkenny5
    mkenny5 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fell short of my 2016 goal of 7500Km by about ~250Km due to being out for an entire month because of injury. 2017 goal is for 8500Km with hopefully 60,000 metres of climbing.

Got ~4100Km horizontal and 32000 metres of vertical so far, ahead of target and coming in to summer time too. :)

Passed 5000Km today, 43000 metres of vertical done too.