FRIENDLY--What is clean eating for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I tend to follow guidelines for the Sonoma/Mediterranean diet and try to load my meals with "superfoods" like broccoli, berries, whole grains, nuts, etc. and limit most processed foods. I find if I stick well to this during the day, I can avoid evening cravings for "unclean" foods, which has been my weakness in the past. I don't deny myself treats but try to offset with a healthy next meal and/or a good workout.
  • onlinemf
    onlinemf Posts: 7
    Options
    If I were to answer that question based on my limited understanding, I would say clean eating is original source, fruits, veggies, unprocessed, no preservatives and such.

But, my goal in learning more and implementing this approach is about how I feel after I eat. I've always been sensitive to foods and I think they have had a tremendous impact on not only my overall feeling of body health, but learning mental as well. This has only been discovered by the removal of certain foods and then the back slide, where I notice all the ill will, bloating, and aches return with the return of boxed and/or restaurant prepared foods. I can feel the effects of one restaurant meal for a week. For whatever reason, I don't seem to react to canned foods, even though they are prepared. I suspect it is that they do not use to the same degree preservatives, emulsifiers and in general have a much shorter ingredients list (less interaction).

I have had thoughts of branching out into grass fed meats, etc. but my budget does not seem to support such a commitment. What I have done that has helped me to feel much better is to ramp up the overall number of vegetables to an extreme level through juicing, and it doesn't seem to matter whether they are organic or not.

That being said, I feel a tremendous inner reward for preparing foods from "close to scratch" processes as it feels like I'm taking the time to nurture my body with not only the ingredients but it represents a loving act to invest the time. Not only that, but life must be simplified in order to make room for these activities, which also brings a mental balance of sorts.

I have also been investigating spices and their restorative effects. Turmeric, for inflation, ginger for digestive, allergies and inflammation, and would ultimately wish to cure this thyroid condition through the use of foods, herbs, and spices. I first learned this through the use of ginger as recommended by a doctor, and while I fail to stick with it on a daily basis for more than a few months at a time it is only due to boredom and so I wish to learn more varieties.

At this point, I have been drinking my green drink every day (with rate exception) since February. I feel so much better, and totally miss the inner wellness that it brings with just one missed day.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    What I did was look at the ingridents on the things I liked and tried to recreate it at home minus the chemicals and addivtives.
  • 0Caligirl0
    0Caligirl0 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love this!