Help.

Options
MAB0218
MAB0218 Posts: 39 Member
If some on could look at my diary and let me know if I am doing this right, I would be greatful. I switched from 50g of carbs to 20g two days ago. I have only been at this WOE since the 2nd. During the summer I lost 40 by counting calories but I gained a lot back.

I am also confused if I am suppose to be worried about calories or not.

Replies

• mrssto78
    mrssto78 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    By switching to this WOE and eating more fat and protein than carbs I naturally eat fewer calories because I stay full longer. Some days I go over calories by a hundred or so and I don't sweat it because the average is under. I wouldn't say that calories don't matter at all though.
  • MAB0218
    Options
    I havent reached that point yet. I know it's my bidy craving carbs but yesterday I was starving. Lol. I cant wait to get to the point were I am barely hungry.
  • MAB0218
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to write this. I do have about 50 lbs to lose. I will definitely look for more real foods.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Doing LCHF "right" is dependent on your goals, as mentioned by the previous post.

For me it took getting a greater number of fat grams vs protein grams to achieve the phase of not being hungry. Once that was achieved then began decreasing the fat intake, allowing my body to burn the fat I had already for energy. I got my fat grams up by using butter to cook with (scrambled eggs, cooking veggies...), and by using heavy whipping cream (HWC) in those eggs, in coffee, making homemade Alfredo sauce (equal parts butter, and hwc heated then add grated parmesan cheese to thicken) as a side to meat and veggies.....

In the beginning total calories shouldn't be considered, then once the phase of not being hungry begins the calorie amount decreases because you aren't hungry. There can be days where you fall short of the calories, and know that these days will even out with higher calorie days. It can be alarming at first because we've been taught to eat three meals a day with snacks in between (terrible brainwashing!), but this is normal for this woe.

So, my recommendation is to increase fats (also full fat mayo and salad dressings, the good stuff!) greater than protein to achieve satiety. Your food choices are good, but upping those fat grams will make a big difference for you!

And it's worth your time to read the helpful info in the Launch Pad that's at the top of the group forum page. Tons of information there!

And WELCOME! :smiley: Hugs!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Definitely echoing the sentiment about not concerning oneself too much about calories and focusing on staying at/under 20g to start, on carbs, when starting out. I failed this early on, was eating all the things and assuring myself that it was low carb and high fat, so who cares if it's got a lot of protein? I was way off the mark in the beginning, as I trusted user data too much and was not measuring and weighing things every single time. over time, I found I was not as hungry anymore once my body got used to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs, and I only go overboard on cals once or twice a week. Sometimes I also go a bit crazy on carbs, but they are almost always from veg or cheese, and the week balances out when I have days where I'm quite a bit less hungry and under my calorie goal.