Keto/clean eating lifestyle

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm more slow carb than low carb, but yes, I tend to eat mostly whole foods, and lots of plants. I eat more fish than red meat. And for me, bacon is a treat. :)
    kaylin's kitchen http://www.kalynskitchen.com/p/recipes-by-diet-type.html comes in handy for me.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    thanks for what you added. It gave me a few more ideas.

My pleasure. I love to share with you guys :)
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm new to this and trying to encourage the whole family. Since I'm the primary cook, I have more control. Little one is a grazer and is always hungry, so it's going well so far. Hubby is already planning cheat days, so we'll see. Right now, just trying to keep it very simple!

Keeping it simple is the way to go! You'll get into a routine and possibly a rut, but don't worry, it's easy to get bored, but the internet is a treasure trove of ideas! And we're here to help...the food these people share is amazing and people love to share their ideas/recipes, just ask!
  • kgailvincent
    kgailvincent Posts: 24 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks for tenge advice ladies and gents!

Being keto for a year simple is beginning to get super boring! Burgers have been my staple.

What happens when you're burned out on basic?

What are your staple seasoning? My mom raised us on salt, pepper and garlic. I've ventured out to make my own jerk, berbere and curry.

If food is not flavorful it's not worth the effort to eat.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Being keto for a year simple is beginning to get super boring! Burgers have been my staple.

What are your staple seasoning? My mom raised us on salt, pepper and garlic. I've ventured out to make my own jerk, berbere and curry.

I throw curry powder into practically everything :smile: Chinese five spice is really tasty too and makes for good marinades and sauces, but like any spice blend, if you're not making it yourself, check the ingredient list as some brands sneak random stuff in there, including sugar. I'm a big fan of the chilli, ginger, garlic and lemongrass combo - it goes into a lot of my soups and stir fries - you can also mash it up with a mortar and pestle and make a paste to add to a marinade. I like to make salsa and I mix it with creme fraiche as a salad dressing. Korean red pepper is amazingly delicious in everything, in particular as an addition to anything you might want to pickle. If you like a smokey taste, steep some lapsang souchong tea and add it to a marinade. Shallots add really nice flavour and you don't need much, so you won't get as many carbs as adding an onion. Topping anything with spring onions or cilantro adds some simple flavour. Fresh dill or chives are really nice with eggs and fish.

I hear ya though, burgers and sauerkraut are my go-to when I'm busy and it is easy to get burned out. Cooking real food takes time and time can be hard to find. Especially since you also have to add cleaning to the to-do list when you cook :smiley:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I throw curry powder into practically everything :smile:
    Chinese five spice is really tasty too and makes for good marinades and sauces, but like any spice blend, if you're not making it yourself, check the ingredient list as some brands sneak random stuff in there, including sugar.
    I'm a big fan of the chilli, ginger, garlic and lemongrass combo - it goes into a lot of my soups and stir fries - you can also mash it up with a mortar and pestle and make a paste to add to a marinade.
    I like to make salsa and I mix it with creme fraiche as a salad dressing. Korean red pepper is amazingly delicious in everything, in particular as an addition to anything you might want to pickle.
    If you like a smokey taste, steep some lapsang souchong tea and add it to a marinade.
    Shallots add really nice flavour and you don't need much, so you won't get as many carbs as adding an onion.
    Topping anything with spring onions or cilantro adds some simple flavour.
    Fresh dill or chives are really nice with eggs and fish.

I hear ya though, burgers and sauerkraut are my go-to when I'm busy and it is easy to get burned out. Cooking real food takes time and time can be hard to find. Especially since you also have to add cleaning to the to-do list when you cook :smiley:

Wow! Great bunch o' tips!

I suppose I could try them out on cardboard or an empty plate, but I am suddenly getting hungry.....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I made an excellent pork loin last night covered with a crust if herbs and spices: black pepper, garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme. I cook tasty stuff and I cook all the time but have found that the more i take the glamour, fantasy and romance out of food, the easier it is to control my intake. I personally love not thinking about food all day long. It's just food. It has taken me a long time to get to this point. I hope to stay. :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @kirkor another dairy-free keto resource is www.healthfulpursuit.com

Thanks for the heads up, site looks great! This one has some potential too I think https://www.primaledgehealth.com/category/recipes/