Weight training with out squats - is it possible?

Options
time4play
time4play Posts: 2 Member
I have arthritic knees which are hampering my workouts and result in server pain when I'm trying to sleep. What can I do to continue my work outs? Are you aware of good substitute exercises for squats?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I can only speak as an observer but there is someone at my gym who had bad knees, actually, just had surgery. But pre that she wanted to do a show. She did a lot of calf raises and sled work. Are you taking any joint supplements to help alleviate the pain?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Can you do other leg exercises? Deadlifts (sumo, stiff leg, Romanian, etc...), good mornings, lunges, leg press, leg curl, partial squats, step ups, leg lifts?
  • juliesilklashes
    juliesilklashes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goal is. I stopped doing squats altogether many months ago. If you want to train your quads, I'd do stationary bike with moderate resistance at heart rate around 160 bpm for 20-25 mins. I've noticed some quad development in the past few weeks doing this, however, not sure how arthritic knees would handle it. If your goal is booty, then forget squats and master barbell hip thrusts - these babies grow booty like crazy (without excessive hamstring/quad development)!