Water weight question

Options
cimarrona27
cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
I increased my sodium up to 5-6g and started taking Chelated Magnesium 200mg.

I've also increased my water intake significantly.

I'm sure my body is in a hydrated happy place, which is great- I've always struggled with hydration.

I've gained about 3 lb in the last few days, and I'm assuming it's water weight.

My question is: Will my body hold onto all of it because I'm usually dehydrated? Or is there a period of adjustment and then stabilization- about how long is it typically.

Im not worried about the gain in the long run, it's more of trying to understand what my body is doing and why.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it will even out. You just started LCHF? It sometimes takes a few days to adjust. If you went to 5-6 g of sodium, that makes sense that you would retain water. LCHF will lower glucose, which lowers insulin which causes electrolyte loss, but it doesn't happen all at once. Give it a week or so to even out.

BTW, 5-6 g of Na is on the high end of supplementing, even among kto'ers. If you feel it is causing too much water retention, you coul always try cutting back a gram or two. I would give yourself some time first. :)
  • cimarrona27
    Options
    Thanks!

I'll cut back to 4 and see if that helps.

I did LCHF last summer but I didn't do any supplements or extra sodium. I want to jump start this correctly.

I'll also wait to up my magnesium to 400 for another week or so.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    They usually recommend 3-5 g in the beginning because you dump a lot in the beginning then it levels out after you get adjusted at least for most people.

Give it a little time, I read once that what you're doing today affects you a few days from now or even more, especially with sodium intake. So it's possible you won't know for sure for a few more days.
  • cimarrona27
    Options
    Thanks- I will keep it in perspective. :)