Anchors?

Options
beachwoman2006
beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
Those who did an earlier WW program may remember the "anchors" thing -- something that you kept with you to serve as an anchor for your weight loss. It must have been with the Winning Points plan because it was early in my weight loss "journey" and that's the plan I used for about the first year. Until WW, in its infinite wisdom, replaced that program. But I digress :)

For me it was a string of paper clips. I started with one metal paper clip. For each pound I lost I added a paper clip. For every 5 pounds, I added a colored, plastic paper clip. I kept it hanging on a hook in my cubicle as a reminder of what I was doing. It didn't seem like much, but looking at that string of paper clips kept me focused.

This time around it's a pair of jeans. Looking at the stats I posted with my weekly weigh-in post this morning, you might say "I don't see what the big deal is. She's only got about 10 pounds to lose." How many of us haven't said something similar about someone who walks into a WW meeting with only 10 pounds to lose??

But, if you've been around for a while you know that I'm only 5' tall so even the slightest weight gain can put me into a larger size. I pulled out a pair of jeans around Thanksgiving that I was able to wear comfortably 2 winters ago. I was able to get them on; but no way would they button and zip! I hung them on a hook on the back of my bedroom door. Once a week I try them on.

While I may not always be able to "see" the weight loss when I look in the mirror, when I can once again COMFORTABLY zip and button those jeans, I'll know that I'm on the right track!

Do you use an anchor of any kind?

Replies

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,902 Member
    Options
    believe it or not I still use the paperclip chain. Its something I also learned at ww meetings a lot of years ago. I still wear it at my meetings and i frequently get questions about it. I expect the leader to ask me to talk about it at my first meeting of the year next Saturday. (yesterdays meeting was snowed out!). I also use a pair of jeans except I go at it from the opposite perspective. Every once in a while I pull on my size 46 jeans ( I am now a 38 or 40 depends on the maker) (it makes my wife go nuts everytime she sees me in them) They serve as a reminder of where I was when those felt tight on me.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    When I got to around 250 and could begin to think about Onederland I got a roll of 50 pennies. I now have 27 left. They sit on my dresser and are a visual reminder that one pound at a time gets the job done.
    I bought a button down, long sleeve l, red plaid shirt, size Large that I try on to see how many buttons I can close. My plan is to wear it to my son's house on Thanksgiving. This post reminds me to try it on and take a pic.
    I also mark my WI data on a wall calendar by my bedroom door so it's the first and last thing I see every day.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    "June is busting out all over" makes for a great lyrical song in Carousel but not so good when it is my PANTS that are doing the busting.

•I have had some expensive bike shorts (retail for over $150 a pair) that I can't afford not to fit in. AT one point if I had gained a mere 5 LB I might have become a soprano or "contra bass". OUCH!! That was the one clothing item that has anchored me.

My other anchors are folks here on the boards and the peeps in my WW meeting.

• Also I bought a "fits like a glove" soft "glove leather" expensive black leather jacket in Spain. My son-in-law warned me that it fit perfectly. That was in 2010 and it still fits. WHEW guess I didn't waste my money.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,552 Member
    Options
    I remember the anchor, but not the paperclip chain. I used to use the bookmark/sticker things they gave out on my fridge. I would often stare at it when things seemed hard. Then I moved to a spreadsheet and graphs. I may break out the paperclips though. I have a way to go and want to keep it simple. Clothes are kinda built in.

There were alot of old WW ideas they dropped that I always thought were helpful. Reframing, etc were good like skills to take forward.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    My Lifetime key. Its the only WW trinket I've kept.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    My Lifetime key. Its the only WW trinket I've kept.

More or less this for me too. I think I still have some of the 'washers' around and I don't cling to the key, but it had/has some significance to me.
  • spospo1
    spospo1 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't/haven't used an anchor but I like the concept. Anything to keep me on track is a good thing. So, I am looking for my anchor.....stay tuned.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I remember the anchors :) Mine used to be my lifetime key. Now I also have a clothing item that keeps me on track. My jeans were really tight on Friday, which reminded me of how much I need to reign it in after the holidays. I am NOT going clothing shopping for a new wardrobe again (I really hate shopping) so I've got to make sure I can fit into the clothes I have
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,243 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My blue jeans. But, I like the paper clip chain idea. I may use that, too.
  • mr_sandyman
    mr_sandyman Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I still have my "Fat Belt" that I dig out when I wonder where I'm going...hum.
    Time to get it out again?
  • myallforjcbill
    Options
    I just bought some "fat clothes" That was a different kind of anchor.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    I am NOT going clothing shopping for a new wardrobe again (I really hate shopping) so I've got to make sure I can fit into the clothes I have

A woman after my own heart! I also was born without the shopping gene!

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I have gotten out of the habit of using an anchor, but this thread has reinvigorated that desire to use an anchor to help me. I just poked around and found my old "Make The Better Choice" bracelet. Now I have it on.
  • myallforjcbill
    Options
    I just poked around and found my old "Make The Better Choice" bracelet. Now I have it on.
    I think I still have one left on my dresser. Hmmm....

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,243 Member
    Options
    I just poked around and found my old "Make The Better Choice" bracelet. Now I have it on.
    I think I still have one left on my dresser. Hmmm....

I still have mine. I wear it once in a while.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    We learned about anchors in the PP program too. And I also have paperclips. When I first started WW, my ML used to have a bunch on a chair for us to take. She eventually stopped bringing them so I bought my own. I do 4 of a color and then a white one. Every 25#s is marked by a large silver one. Maybe it's time to get it off the bulletin board and back on my frig. Thanks for the reminder!