Update on FBS

Options
genmon00
genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
Hi everyone! Couldn't find my original post but wanted to update So thanks to some very knowledgeable mfp peeps, I started to check my blood sugars post proandial (after meals) and even after a meal with heavy carbs (hominy) my Pp level was 150 (1 hr), 124(2hr)which are on the normal range for diabetics. My other numbers were lower but with very little carbs so I didn't think that was a good experiment lol Now my mind is more at ease for my upcoming appointment

Replies

• genmon00
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My post disappeared! Darn smileys!! Removed them and voila it's back! (Smile)
  • genmon00
    Options
    Thanks @neohdiver it was those pesky fbs levels that are occuring which were freaking me out. I think @RalfLott and some other awesome mfp posted about the dawn phenomena. My md is very pill happy but I want to stay on Metformin only.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @genmon00 - Sounds like you are doing well (but try not to let that lure you into more frequent departures!).

Just out of curiosity, how many net carbs did you inhale in your HC meal?
  • genmon00
    Options
    @RalfLott around 15-22 carbs is my guesstimation. Most of my meals are around 5-10 (when I'm not being bad) im a grazer (a habit I'm trying to break). But hominy is the mexican cousin of corn which although I LOVE and is DELICIOUS, is like a straight glucose shot to me lol So I avoid it as much as I can but dang it is good...but not GOOD for me so it gets the boot lol.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    If that's all you hit on your HC excursions, that's pretty good restraint. o:)

I'd say you're doing great!

Still on 1000mg of metformin?
  • genmon00
    Options
    It was an experiment not a bender lol I take 2000 mg a day of metformin
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all. :)
    What are your LCHF PP numbers like? I like those low PP numbers. I have dawn phenomenon, which irks me to no end, but I get a lot of satisfaction from low PP tests. :) That's gotta help even it all out, right?
  • genmon00
    Options
    Hi @nvmomketo ! My LCHF pps are usually between 105-110 (1hr) 95-100 (2hr) which I believe are good right? Of course still take metformin 2000.mg a day but that's the only med I take for my diabetes now used to be 3 I took just for my diabetes :(
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Thanks @neohdiver it was those pesky fbs levels that are occuring which were freaking me out. I think @RalfLott and some other awesome mfp posted about the dawn phenomena. My md is very pill happy but I want to stay on Metformin only.

I'd fight like the dickens to avoid sulfonylureas (and to some extent insulin, as well - although if I was unable to control by diet I'd push for insulin over sulfonylureas. As long as my FBG is below 140 - but mostly lower the rest of the day - I'd probably try to keep working on it. Perhaps with IF or VLC for a while. Your PP numbers are excellent - probably slightly better than mine. (I'm eating higher carb - and allow myself to go as high as 140 at 1 hour.)
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yep. Never anything more than Metformin... (er... if possible).

Minimal hypoglycemia risk, long history, lots of research & safe profile (provided WWIII doesn't incubate and hatch in your small bowel :s ).
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @genmom1 this is amazing. Well done.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    My LCHF pps are usually between 105-110 (1hr) 95-100 (2hr) which I believe are good right? Of course still take metformin 2000.mg a day but that's the only med I take for my diabetes now used to be 3 I took just for my diabetes :(

Those are really nice PP numbers. :) Awesome work. You are reversing this irreversable progressive disease. ;)