Carbs in Sun Dried Tomatoes

Options
bowlerae
bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
I love the flavor that sun-dried tomatoes (with oil) brings to any sort of creamy dish. Unfortunately sun-dried tomatoes are so high in carbs! I usually try to eat around the tomatoes or perhaps I'll even eat them if I have tracked properly and I can afford the extra carbs. I'm wondering though, when I eat around the tomatoes, there is still a lot of oil from the jar that I'm consuming. Is there a lot of carbs in the oil? Also, does anyone know if I'll get the same flavor if I use SDT that are not packaged in oil? If so I can start cooking with those and it will cut down on the calories.

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    I Foes anyone know if I'll get the same flavor if I use SDT that are not packaged in oil? If so I can start cooking with those and it will cut down on the calories.

All of the carbs and none of the fat? Hmm...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bella Sun Luci makes a Bruschetta that keeps the flavor but removes the guesswork if it could be used in your recipe. 1/4 cup has 190 calories, 17g fat, 6g carbs.

This doesn't answer your questions but it is an option. The consistency of it is similar to tomato paste so thicker than many typical Bruschetta meaning a little goes a long way.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Does anyone know if I'll get the same flavor if I use SDT that are not packaged in oil? If so I can start cooking with those and it will cut down on the calories.

I would tend toward reducing the carbs, not the fat. Espwcially on a LC Woe. . know there's some fantastic recipes for making your own SDT infused olive oil and pesto. Depending on the recipe, we're talking 0.5-2.5g carbs per serving. A little SDT goes along way when using them that way. All the fat and flavor, much less of the carbs.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if I'll get the same flavor if I use SDT that are not packaged in oil? If so I can start cooking with those and it will cut down on the calories.

I would tend toward reducing the carbs, not the fat. Espwcially on a LC Woe. . know there's some fantastic recipes for making your own SDT infused olive oil and pesto. Depending on the recipe, we're talking 0.5-2.5g carbs per serving. A little SDT goes along way when using them that way. All the fat and flavor, much less of the carbs.

That sounds good. I didn't know if the oil from the SDT jar had a ton of hidden carbs in it or not. If so, what I was trying to say is I could get the dry packages of the SDT, cook with them for the flavor, and then eat around or pick out the tomatoes. I think I might try to make some sort of infused oil if I will get a similar flavor.
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I ran into a similar issue when making an omelette. I love, love, love the tomatoes.

I ended up weighing a carb portion I could handle and then finely chopping them to sprinkle in my food.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I love me some 'maters! And onions! I never will quit them, because they are BAE. I just use tiny slivers of onions and baby tomaters or cut them up small so I can stay in love. I haven't used any sun-dried tomatoes since starting keto, don't see what problem they could cause, if used in small amounts, especially seeing as their flavor is very concentrated, compared to regular tomatoes (remember, one sun-dried tomato was once the size of that regular tomato you brought home from the store, and I use maybe 1/8 to 1/2 of a Roma variety tomato (depending on size/heft) in a salad or other meal.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Try to remember, too, that the overarching goal of restricting carbohydrates is to restrict foods without much nutrition, that trigger inflammation or immune type reactions, or overwhelm the body's ability to process them.

Most folks cut out:
    gluten
    grains
    starches
    sugars
    dairy (in some cases)

Most folks figure out how to work in reasonable portions of:
    non-starchy veggies
    low-sugar fruits
    other items on very limited exception, limited only by health restrictions
    dairy, for some
    etc.

There is no one way to make this work for you. Since tomatoes actually have nutrients in them, not the least of which are lycopene and vitamin c, unless you have an allergy or sensitivity to them, it is fully reasonable to include them in any natural form (as in not ketchup, which is as much corn syrup or sugar as it is fruit puree) in reasonable quantities so as to fit your macros and calories.

If you cannot fit a nutritious food into your plan that you would realistically like to include and have no specific health reason not to allow into your plan in reasonable quantity, then perhaps it is time to determine if your plan is too restrictive for your long term health.

Just my 2 cents (or more) worth of opinion. Please feel free to take it or leave it/toss it.

TL/DR: I don't personally believe any fully nutritious item should be banned permanently from a whole health eating plan. Nearly anything can be worked in when reasonable in quantity.