Blog Your Ride

Options

Replies

• jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Nice work... You conquered the oxers! And those look giant to me haha!
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @jcraig10 Thanks :) He's 17.1...... but I'm 5'11 so i look kinda silly on anything smaller then 16'2 typically.......
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    @showjumper Looking good girl!
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @showjumper good for you! I've been working on the same. Oxers usually ride well (sometimes better than verticles) but they can look soooo big!
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Having some great weather here...60s this weekend! Fun ride yesterday playing around with some trot poles and xrails. Trail ride today! My trainer is coming home from Aiken tomorrow :-)
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful day!!! I gave 2 riding lessons and then rode outside with one of my training horses (3 year old colt with 2 weeks of riding), which was his first ride outside. I had two other riders on older horses that went with me for support and he did amazing!!! Can't beat 50 degree weather here in Minnesota in February!!!
  • jcraig10
    Options
    @tmcoyle Sounds like a great day! Fun to hear about the babies out and about behaving themselves :)
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Better than my coming 8yo @tmcoyle! He was so bad outside with the nice weather I had be lunged for my lesson. All about Forward! Yes, I can put my legs on you! No, you can't runbuckplay! Love the great weather but it does make for interesting rides.
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Omg talk about a great lesson! My trainer is back and it was 70 degrees and omg the pony! Amazing tonight. We worked on left lead walk to canter transitions, which he hasn't done much of. He smashed it - such a good boy!

Then we worked on me landing my leads over jumps...I got them right probably 75% of the time. It's not something I've worked on much. I cantered little verticals on angles. Cantering jumps isn't really my forte so it felt great! Very productive and so proud of the both of us.
  • tmcoyle
    Options
    Yesterday I had an AMAZING lesson on my 3yo with my mentor. I don't get much of a chance to get critiqued, I'm usually giving the lesson. I am so PUMPED for the upcoming show season!!!! When one door closes another door opens. My once in a lifetime show partner for the past 7 years is retired (my 9yo stallion) due to allergies and not being able to breathe and now the 3yo buckskin is out of my stallion and he will be my show horse from now on. r6xhzodmoafl.jpg
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Nice looking horse right there!
  • showjumper
    Options
    Ok, so....... I have had a very emotional few weeks. Worked my *kitten* off (literally) in preparation for an indoor show where I was to have ended at 1.0m and that would be the basis for the years schedule.... well, my beautiful boy has told me, now definitively, that he doesn't want to be a show pony. He was doing so well in training, he was doing it all with me and a pro. I could have jumped anything set in the warm up ring, I was confident with just the right amount of nerves, but when it came time to perform.... he froze, with me and with my trainer... this isn't a new thing and we decided that I need to move on to something else and am now looking at new mounts!

I am sad, conflicted, scared and at a cross roads as to where I want to go with my riding... as I keep being reminded it is my hobby not my job so I should be enjoying myself and not having to work so hard for so little. I was given a very good analogy.... we (my horse and I) need a divorce based upon irreconcilable differences. He doesn't want what I want, treats me great in private and like dirt in public, we have tried counselling and nothing seems to be working so we need to break up.
  • snookb276
    Options
    @jcraig10 Good luck in the show season with your 3 yr old!
  • snookb276
    Options
    @showjumper Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a suitable new equine partner.
  • tmcoyle
    Options
    @showjumper - sometimes you have to move on and it sounds like you have made the right decision. Good luck in your search for a new partner.
  • showjumper
    Options
    @tmcoyle @snookb276 Thank you! I have a couple good options coming my way this week so that is exciting, my trainer is super supportive and wants me to succeed. He has found me a free lease on a seasoned jumper, he will bring him in and I will see what he is like this weekend, and then a purchase prospect to come along beside the lease...... I am still riding my gelding and deciding what to do with him, as I do not live on an acreage everything is boarded out...... cha ching! Decisions Decisions!

Happy riding everyone!
  • showjumper
    Options
    Lol...... I feel short!!! Option 1 - Lease for the season. 17'3.5 ok lets call him 18hh! 1.10m jumper, owner had a baby now wants the horse fitted up so she can take over the ride in the fall... only cost will be board and lessons.

dhwdp0mbc92a.jpg
    b2wffqvbfmo6.jpg

Option 2 is a purchase 6 year old 6 month under saddle professionally started and in training.

Question....... how many times should you try a horse before you buy? I have to make a decision on the purchase next week... only gives me 2 flat and one over fences rides? so far hes a sweetie... good disposition, decent size, good bloodlines...... just green and expensive..
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Wow 18h BIG BOY! 4 white feet..handsome :)
    So many people purchase after only one short trial ride. I'm like you and would prefer to ride multiple times before making a decision! I think after 3 lessons though you should have either a good feeling or a bad feeling. Go with your gut. How do you feel about getting a green horse?
  • snookb276
    Options
    @showjumper Your smile says it all! Nice looking horse. Glad things are working out.
  • showjumper
    Options
    @jcraig10 Thank you! The green one is sweet, he is very laid back! Well bred and his sire tends to pass on a calm disposition.. funny thing is both these horses are by Eastern Ruler just very different mares. I rode the greenie on Sunday walk trot canter... then found out that no one had been on him since Tuesday, he was very even and sane. I will have a lesson tonight on him over fences, then he leaves in the morning to go to a show, will go watch on Saturday. My gut says why in the world would you pay low 6 figures for a horse! :smirk: I can see what my trainer is thinking, its just not his cheque book!

@snookb276 thank you!