Blog Your Ride

Options
Here4Ponies
Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
I've thought about starting a blog to document my rides but not all of them are worthy of a post. I thought I'd document the significant ones here. I'd love to hear about your rides, too!

My dressage hopeful OTTB is on layup right now (he stabbed himself in the shoulder with a stick, of all things, and it isn't healing well) and my semi-retired heart horse was in pasture last night (finally! after days of being inside because of cold) so I didn't want to disturb him. So, last night I rode my SO's trail horse, PJ.

PJ is a sometimes-gaited saddle horse with a larger than life attitude and supreme confidence in himself. He's a blast on trails because he'll go anywhere you point him as long as you give him enough time and rein to figure out how to get there. He likes people, tolerates other horses as long as they don't bug him, has zero buck-ability despite his best efforts, and typically refuses to move when he thinks he's done working.

I've decided to work with him in Western Dressage because he needs something to do in the winter months and I want to ensure he stays healthy and active as he ages. And, why not? He's not too fond of this idea. Didn't I know arena work sucks?

We worked well enough over a circle of four poles set with an outside diameter of 20m. We did figure-8s, ovals, 20m circles, 15m circles, lots of changes of direction, and transitions all with the goal of getting him to bend and lift his legs a bit more. Hard work. And he made sure I knew it. I worked harder on him to keep him moving than I do on my trainer's schoolmaster.

We took a walk break before moving on to canter. The first time I asked he bucked. He thought he bucked anyway. He tried multiple bucks; he threw his shoulders at me; he tried stopping; he tried to duck and spin. Eventually he picked it up and kept it for a full lap of the arena, with me pony-kicking him the whole way. I was laughing; the other riders in the arena were laughing. PJ was not amused. We tried the other lead with the same shenanigans and the same end result.

I gave him lots of praise and pats when we were done. He snorted and shook his head then stretched out in his glorious free walk for cool down. Overall a fun ride (for me) and productive (for him). We took a step forward on his fitness and work tolerance. And, most important, he didn't stop cold and ignore my aids. For this horse, I'd rather have him bucking than completely unmoving.

How have your rides been going?

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You tell a great story. I wish I could say I have been riding. Unfortunately I have been babysitting instead. My oldest daughter just had another baby and I had to babysit the other small ones while she was in the hospital. I hope to get some saddle time in this week.
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    @luckypony71 no matter how much I may not want to admit it, sometimes being a mom is more important than pony time. I hope the birth was uneventful.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @Here4Cookies What a fabulous idea...... i love hearing about other riders accomplishments, setbacks, progressions and lightbulb moments! I truly look forward to reading these :)
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    He thought he bucked anyway.

My favorite part of the story, lol! Mostly because this is what I experienced from one of mine yesterday. I haven't ridden him in several days due to the cold and because I've been giving him time to let his ulcers heal. He was definitely feeling fine yesterday! When I first asked for the canter I got the sort-of buck (he's soooo bad at it!), which made me think the ulcers were still bothering him. Then I realized he was running away with me and having a blast doing it! I tried to to trot, but he kept going right back into canter...and it felt amazing! I let him canter until I could tell he was starting to settle and then he gave me such a forward and floaty trot. I really needed that ride from him :)

p.s. I'm happy his buck is not exactly athletic. My other horse really taught me to stick, but before I learned how, he catapulted me more than a few times ;)

• Here4Ponies
    Options
    showjumper wrote: »
    @Here4Cookies What a fabulous idea...... i love hearing about other riders accomplishments, setbacks, progressions and lightbulb moments! I truly look forward to reading these :)

I do, too! Really helps me keep things in perspective, gives me new ideas, and to not get so down about this chase toward perfection that is dressage that I will NEVER reach.
    When I first asked for the canter I got the sort-of buck (he's soooo bad at it!), which made me think the ulcers were still bothering him. Then I realized he was running away with me and having a blast doing it! I tried to to trot, but he kept going right back into canter...and it felt amazing! I let him canter until I could tell he was starting to settle and then he gave me such a forward and floaty trot. I really needed that ride from him :)

p.s. I'm happy his buck is not exactly athletic. My other horse really taught me to stick, but before I learned how, he catapulted me more than a few times ;)

Sounds like you both enjoyed it. Fantastic!

Yeah, my OTTB youngster Havi has a helluva buck but PJ..... lol he's so cute when he's mad! :)
  • luckypony71
    Options
    @Here4Cookies

Unfortunately the birth was easy, but the pregnancy was not. Both still in the hospital. Hopefully they will be released tomorrow.

That's okay though, I am having fun reading the stories you both shared.
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    @luckypony71 I'm looking forward to reading about your rides when live lets you get back to it. Even if it's just a quick jaunt around the paddock, let us know! Sometimes those are the most important rides for the soul.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Great ride stories. A treat since I'm not able to ride right now with all the snow.
    @luckypony71 Congratulations on your new grandchild. Maybe a little riding partner one day. I have been saving a kids saddle for my granddaughter. She's 7 months old. Lol
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    Did a pole exercise today that was kind of fun. A trot serpentine...3 poles going off the rail, 3 rails to towards the rail, 3 poles off the rail, 3 rails towards the rail (slicing all of them instead of having the poles angled...does that make sense??). Looked super challenging, but actually rode pretty well. My guy was HORRIBLE at poles a couple of years when I got him, but has become quite cleaver :)
  • luckypony71
    Options
    Be careful Snookb276. You may end up like me and have all kinds of gear for your grandkids, then have to shop for the perfect pony for them too. LOL

My oldest granddaughter is 7. She loves coming to my house. I got home from work yesterday to find her outside sweeping the barn isle. I called her in, had a quick dinner then took her and the pony for a walk on the trails. Just chatting about life and walking in the park.

I have the best old pony. She's 32 years old and has been in our family since she was 4. She is a hand-me-down pony. I don't know if she will hold up for the newest granddaughter, but I know I will miss her big time when she's gone.
  • Here4Ponies
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Did a pole exercise today that was kind of fun. A trot serpentine...3 poles going off the rail, 3 rails to towards the rail, 3 poles off the rail, 3 rails towards the rail (slicing all of them instead of having the poles angled...does that make sense??). Looked super challenging, but actually rode pretty well. My guy was HORRIBLE at poles a couple of years when I got him, but has become quite cleaver :)

I think I may have found my lesson for the kids I teach on Saturday!
    Be careful Snookb276. You may end up like me and have all kinds of gear for your grandkids, then have to shop for the perfect pony for them too. LOL

My oldest granddaughter is 7. She loves coming to my house. I got home from work yesterday to find her outside sweeping the barn isle. I called her in, had a quick dinner then took her and the pony for a walk on the trails. Just chatting about life and walking in the park.

I have the best old pony. She's 32 years old and has been in our family since she was 4. She is a hand-me-down pony. I don't know if she will hold up for the newest granddaughter, but I know I will miss her big time when she's gone.

My grandma used to do things like that for me. Those are some of the best memories of my childhood.
  • showjumper
    Options
    Weeeeellllll..... if anyone read my Resolutions I have just been slammed by #2.

Caution: Maybe more of a Ranting Vent then a Blog...... I apologize :(

About 18 months ago I chose to leave the barn I was at for a few reasons but the greatest were the teenaged drama, young girls who had to be the stars of show (had to jump bigger/higher then everyone no matter how it affected the horse) and the amount of gossip and talking behind someones back was ridiculous among the mothers. I was a rider, not a mother, in this instance so I was the topic of the day quite often... and it got to me, bad! I hated going to the barn, I was quick to punish my horse though he was doing what I asked not necessarily what I wanted, I would miss rides, lessons and generally allow the atmosphere to ruin my progress.

I moved and started from ground zero in June 2015, literally...... ground poles and flat work. I have changed everything and it has been super, the place is lovely, the owner/trainer is knowledgeable, caring and supportive. There is a great atmosphere of team and everyone is there for everyone else no matter what level. Last year we went to a fairly large show where I was in "the play-pen" ~ the baby jumpers, but everyone that could came and watched, did their course walks early or later, brought tack to the ring to clean and then whiz back to tack up. It is back to being my place, love going - hate leaving, horse is doing well, progress is happening we are starting this year at 0.90m and hoping to be in 1.0-1.10m by the end of the year...... I couldn't be happier! Until Saturday.......when my trainer tells me they hired #1 on that leaving list as a live in working student.

Ok...........can't be that bad right, wrong! I sent her a message to congratulate her on the new gig, thinking I'll break the ice, be nice and leave it at that. Her reply was basically, Thanks... eff off... so I here I sit, dreading our first face to face. I am being silly..... she's 17!!! And as I type this I don't even know what my problem is, or what I'm trying to say. Poor me? Feel sorry for me because my haven is going to be disrupted because I am letting it? Ugh.... maybe I just needed to write it out. I don't know, I just have all sorts of flashbacks to the whispers and gossip and the way it made me feel and how detrimental it was to my confidence. I haven't been out to the barn since Sunday due to life but now its my 4 days to ride, fingers crossed it is all in my head and I'm over thinking it all.

Well thanks for reading......
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    @showjumper , I HATE barn drama! After years of it, I've learned to just do my own thing and stay away from everyone when I can. It's lonely and takes away a lot of what I found fun in the past, but I've become jaded. So, I completely understand what you're talking about. And yes, moms are often worse than the kids.

Maybe she won't be as bad without the rest of her clan? Maybe the new trainer won't put up with her drama? Maybe she'll see how much better the new barn atmosphere is and decide to be more positive and supportive?

Easy for me to say, but yeah, don't let a 17 year old ruin your time at the barn. Good luck!
  • showjumper
    Options
    Thank you @crimsongrey for making me tear up and realize a) I'm not losing the plot and b) that there are others out there in a similar situation.

I fear that the relationships I have built will all be whittled away if I shut off my very out going personality, any day I am quiet I typically get asked 100 times what is wrong... when nothing really is, know what I mean?
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    showjumper wrote: »
    Thank you @crimsongrey for making me tear up and realize a) I'm not losing the plot and b) that there are others out there in a similar situation.

I fear that the relationships I have built will all be whittled away if I shut off my very out going personality, any day I am quiet I typically get asked 100 times what is wrong... when nothing really is, know what I mean?

Absolutely do not shut off your personality! I too am very outgoing which is why I've become so lonely :( My biggest problem is that I now keep my horses at a barn that doesn't really fit with what I'm looking for as far as having friends to show with and to support each other. It's mostly a barn with low-level pony clubbers and beginner adults who aren't really interested in eventing/showing/going off property. BUT, I chose that barn because the other barns in the area that do have show people are full of drama and/or people I have no interest in being around. They are not nice people. It's been a trade off, but I've come to accept it and don't dread going to the barn. I don't see a particular car and think about turning around to go home. I do my thing, my ponies are taken care of and I don't have to worry about being judged. My husband understands my situation in this riding wasteland, which is why I get to go to Aiken where my BFF's and I meet up for a couple of months. They are my people. It keeps me somewhat sane during the rest of the year. This is why I am so excited to hopefully get the barn we're trying to buy. It has 10 stalls, so hopefully I can get a positive and supportive group to board and ride with me. It'll be a "private" barn and I will be highly selective.

Sorry, that went way longer than I planned :blush: I wish I had advice. It sucks when we allow others to stress us out and compromise our happiness.
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    @showjumper I totally get it. I'm one bad day, one more confrontation with the owner, one more blow-off by her groupies away from walking away from a trainer I love because of the stress. I get knots in my stomach as I'm driving to the barn. What should be a sanctuary has become a place of dread.

I highly recommend talking to your trainer about your experiences with this child and let her know you are really not looking forward to her being around.

Personally, I'd put my resting bitchface on and be fully prepared to put her in her place. Isn't a working student pretty much like an office intern? The one who fetches things? Does what no one actually getting paid wants to do?

Try to remember YOU are paying for your time at the barn. YOU are the customer and the child is there for you.

Keep your chin up. You can do this.

/hugs
  • luckypony71
    Options
    @showjumper

I wish I had some advice to give. I am a lot like Crimsongrey and moved away from the drama. I am a mother and the drama was affecting the happiness of myself and my teenage daughter. There was/is always someone that could not stand to see anyone succeeding more than themselves.

I have my own little farm now, and I do get lonely for people to chat with. I have one boarder that comes out 4 times a week to see her horse and we chat some. Mostly I just ride by myself or join in on group trail rides if I see an invite in our local riding club.

Don't let this person change who you are. I never stopped being nice, even to the spoiled rotten teens. I always said hello to the other boarders, then just went about my business. If they chose to ignore me, I was okay with that too.

Enjoy your pony. And like Here4Cookies said, talk to the barn manager about your concerns. If she is aware, she may watch out for bad behavior on her student's part.
  • luckypony71
    Options
    I finally got to ride last night. I have not been on the horse since New Year's Day.

Proud of myself. My riding instructor came over and since I worked late and didn't have time to warm up the horse, I decided to stay on the lunge. (don't forget I am a timid - very timid rider)

While walking the trail there was a lady walking her dog on the boardwalk. This made my mare nervous. I asked the instructor to stand and allow me to walk my mare around her. So I asked Breezy to move her feet where I wanted them to go. Kept walking in circles until she gave me a big sigh and put her head down.

This is a major accomplishment for me. My friends don't all understand. I used to be the girl that rode the mustang, and the one that helped to train my daughter's gelding. I have been on many wild rides. I have sat through spooks and bucks. I just can't seem to do it anymore. I am scared of a horse taking off with me. I am scared of falling and breaking bones, missing work. That's why I got help. She doesn't even really help me with my riding. She is more of the distraction that keeps me from thinking "what if". She also helps me out of my comfort zone slowly.

Hopefully one day I will be able to write about my first successful solo trail ride.

• jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ring had been frozen all week so rode last night for the first time in 8 days. Have a little dressage schooling show on Saturday (weather permitting...ice/snow in the forecast), so we practiced both tests for my trainer and worked on tweaking a few little things and then ended with some no stirrup trot circles.
  • showjumper
    Options
    Thank you all @crimsongrey, @luckypony71, @Here4Cookies I appreciate your kindness and insight......... I am glad I am not alone, I feel all your angst and trepidation and will take the advice given! I did speak with my trainer/owner and he is well aware of how I feel and also knows me well enough that he will keep an eye on the situation..... "you make me money she costs me money ;) its a no brainer........" lol

Now lets turn this back into what the intended purpose was!!

I was supposed to have a lesson last night but was late so it turned into a gab session while sitting on my horse (teaching patience??) I did get a short term goal set though.... he would like me to be ready to show on Feb 18/19 and 25/26 weekends that will include moving up a level, so I have 5 weeks. I did some work over a cavelletti trying to hit the centre every time... I tend to jump the right side, worse when going left..... I can have a very dominant left hand... so will be working on the centre of the jump or even the left side! Funny thing is I notice I run on the right "1/4 line" of my treadmill. :

I have a proper lesson tonight, I will go prepared to be challenged! So I will go a little early to clean my saddle and boots and find my "glue"........

Happy Friday 13th!