Shoes??

Options
tartsul
tartsul Posts: 298 Member
i've seen a lot of posting on the NROL4W facebook page about wearing flat shoes for lifting. can anyone give me any insight as to why wearing flat shoes (like converse) is more beneficial for lifting? i already have a pair of chucks, but i have yet to try them out for the gym.

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Maybe I haven't seen them recently, but how are chucks not flat? In my opinion any gym shoe/sneaker are flat and good for lifting but I'm by no means an expert on lifting. I'd say if a shoe is comfortable and you have good balance in them they're fine.
  • tartsul
    Options
    chucks are flat. i was just asking why it is better to wear flat shoes for lifting.
  • KLSG23
    KLSG23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research into this too. The idea here is that the flatter shoe the more grounded you are to push through your heals or toes. This is why you'll find many people who life, lifts barefoot. Weightlifting shoes are rather expensive. Some people where the 5 finger shoes, or chuck's. Personally, I don't think I could training in my chuck's. I have been looking at New Balance Minimus.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I really don't know the "science" behind it, if there is one....but I would guess that fairly flat shoes help you maintain better/true form. Alot of your running/gym shoes have cushy insoles, bigger soles with the treads, and those insoles "give" a littleetc.....and can cause your feet/toes to be pointing downward or at odd angles..... ok....so I looked it up.....check this out:

http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2012/07/you-need-olympic-weightlifting-shoes.html
  • tartsul
    Options
    thank you for the input ladies! i'll do some more research and maybe give it a try.
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research into this too. The idea here is that the flatter shoe the more grounded you are to push through your heals or toes. This is why you'll find many people who life, lifts barefoot. Weightlifting shoes are rather expensive. Some people where the 5 finger shoes, or chuck's. Personally, I don't think I could training in my chuck's. I have been looking at New Balance Minimus.
    You look fantastic! What a transformation!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have an old pair of road zeroes that I wear at the gym. They're like hugs for your feet, and are amazing for both running and lifting. :smile:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

This.

I wear Vibram Five FIngers (I also have a pair for running--I'm partial to them)
  • mrs_mab
    Options

This.

I wear Vibram Five FIngers (I also have a pair for running--I'm partial to them)
    I actually saw a special doctor report by a podiatrist who says the vibrams, five fingers, etc....are better to run in then running shoes.....I mean we were born barefoot correct? We typically learn to walk barefoot, and look at all your amazing Kenyan runners, many run barefoot.....the doc only suggestion was to introduce yourself to the vibrams, etc....gradually when running, don't just go cold turkey.....
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

Love my Minimus for lifting and running.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I wear my chucks. I was wearing my old running shoes at first and switched to my chucks and it made a big difference for my stability.