Ditching the Dairy - What Were Your Experiences? Any Advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    kirkor wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I am so glad I found that Aldi's has much cheaper shredded cheese to help with this.

Might be a case of "majoring in the minors", but I think it's good to at least be aware that commercial shredded cheese has powdered additives to keep the shreds from sticking together:
    https://blog.ochsner.org/articles/store-bought-shredded-cheese-debunking-the-myths-and-best-picks/

I love a lot of recipes that call for shredded cheese. Would it be better if I got a block of cheese and shredded it my self?

I do. It's usually more cost-effective, on top of avoiding the additives. The only down side is that my husband can't seem to shred cheese without making a mess! :smiley:

Maybe he makes a mess (missing the container) as an excuse to eat what misses. o:)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found that Aldi's has much cheaper shredded cheese to help with this.

Might be a case of "majoring in the minors", but I think it's good to at least be aware that commercial shredded cheese has powdered additives to keep the shreds from sticking together:
    https://blog.ochsner.org/articles/store-bought-shredded-cheese-debunking-the-myths-and-best-picks/

I love a lot of recipes that call for shredded cheese. Would it be better if I got a block of cheese and shredded it my self?

I do. It's usually more cost-effective, on top of avoiding the additives. The only down side is that my husband can't seem to shred cheese without making a mess! :smiley:

Maybe he makes a mess (missing the container) as an excuse to eat what misses. o:)

That would be a logical explanation if he picked it up.....
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I haven't consciously ditched dairy but I would have 2 tablespoons of cream and some butter each day, no cheese. This is only because I'm trying to cut my calories back a bit due to excruciating slow weight loss. Having said that I've gone from 1600 cals a day including cheese to 1200 cals a day with no cheese and I'm gaining about 100g a day on the scales. So no, it hasn't worked. At least not yet.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I haven't consciously ditched dairy but I would have 2 tablespoons of cream and some butter each day, no cheese. This is only because I'm trying to cut my calories back a bit due to excruciating slow weight loss. Having said that I've gone from 1600 cals a day including cheese to 1200 cals a day with no cheese and I'm gaining about 100g a day on the scales. So no, it hasn't worked. At least not yet.

What if you ate the same amount of calories (1600) but those extra 400 were just not from cheese? My thinking is "not enough calories" from years of being on the main forums but that is likely not correct (because it is the main forums) and would probably take much longer to see a difference in slowed metabolism (sounded like you were seeing the extra 100g weight immediately upon cutting the calories). So I'm not sure what the solution is but very insightful post. Thank you.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Maybe he's like my husband who has figured out that the bigger mess he makes the less likely I am to ask him to do anything in the kitchen. Smart guys. ;)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

What if you ate the same amount of calories (1600) but those extra 400 were just not from cheese? My thinking is "not enough calories" from years of being on the main forums but that is likely not correct (because it is the main forums) and would probably take much longer to see a difference in slowed metabolism (sounded like you were seeing the extra 100g weight immediately upon cutting the calories). So I'm not sure what the solution is but very insightful post. Thank you.

Not enough calories is not really a thing, unless you're way too low, and you've been way too low for a long time. A calorie reduction over a couple of week period should result in weight loss. The frustrating thing from my point of view is that over a 4 year period, I've tried more calories, less calories, more protein, less fat, or more fat less protein, no dairy, no artificial sweeteners, no nuts, no "faked goods", no pre-packaged meats, calorie cycling, you name it. I've tried and tested each of these over a period of a month or two, and every combination you can imagine (not just for a few days and decided they didn't work). It has taken me 4 years to lose 34kg. I've never lost more than about 1.5kg in a month. I still have 15kg to go to get to the upper limits of a health BMI. Having said that, I have never weighed less than I do right now, and in fact I weighed the same 12 months ago. So I'm not holding my breath.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Cutting it out didn't do me any good; I felt and looked a lot better when I added it back in. Maybe you could just cut back on it; not add as much cheese or have just one meal laden with dairy.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Subbing to this thread because I may decide to cut down on my dairy...not sure if the additional (and LOTS of it) acne lately is a sensitivity to dairy (never a problem before, but our bodies do change year by year) or if it's hormonal (going to be 44 in a few months and likely perimenopausal).

I've had a lot of acne lately, too, and have wondered if there's anything food-wise that I should experiment with. (FWIW I'm 40.)