Strawberries

Options
So I thought that berries were ok eat in small portions. I don't like blueberries so I have about a cup of halved strawberries I brought to work as a snack but when I go to log the net carbs I see anything from 4-11 carbs. I've even googled it and I can't get an accurate carb count. Should I eat these or no? I'm back on board and still in the 2 week faze and have around 20-25 carbs daily. Thank in advance for any advise. :)

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    fatsecret.com gives a cup of halved strawberries 11.67 grams of carbs with 3 of those being dietary fiber. It depends if you're doing total carbs or net carbs and what you have planned for the rest of the day.

• mamanicole79
    mamanicole79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ok Thank you Cadori!! I think I may hold off on eating those today.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I enjoy strawberries in summer, and if I get a LOT of them, I wash, trim, and freeze them for topping my low carb pancakes (thawed and mashed with a little stevia, they're great on the pancakes with a little whipped heavy cream). But I only use 1/2 to 1 ounce at a time, for no more than 2-3 g carbs. A cup is a lot.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    Strawberries obviously being a better choice of carbs than some processed non-food item could be looked at in this way. Would the extra carbs be worth it to you to eat the strawberries and have less carbs for the rest of the day. If the answer is yes because you really want some of them strawberries then go for it. If not, then you can be happy knowing you saved your carbs for something you'll enjoy more later.

This makes so much sense to me. :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    According to the late Dr. Atkins, one of the primary benefits of eating your fruits and veggies is the presence of antioxidants. However, when looking at all the fruits and veggies out there, the amount of antioxidants found per 100g is very low for most fruits. Berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries) were the only ones even close to the top of the list. They are still below most veggies, but a heckuva lot better than any other fruit. For this reason, you hear people say if you are going to eat fruit, these are the ones to lean toward.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You can also use the berries in smaller portions by pairing them with a fat. Unsweetened (or barely sweetened) whipped heavy cream, or in a strawberry cheesecake fat bomb (with very ripe berries, these don't need sweetener at all), or something. I find that when you pair anything with more carbs than you'd like with an item of more fat, you tend to eat less but still feel satisfied by the item, etc.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    According to the late Dr. Atkins, one of the primary benefits of eating your fruits and veggies is the presence of antioxidants. However, when looking at all the fruits and veggies out there, the amount of antioxidants found per 100g is very low for most fruits. Berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries) were the only ones even close to the top of the list. They are still below most veggies, but a heckuva lot better than any other fruit. For this reason, you hear people say if you are going to eat fruit, these are the ones to lean toward.

We also don't need much in the way of antioxidants because of our cleaner burning fat oxidation.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cakes, candy, cookie, pies, breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. A few strawberries every now and then, can be seen on my diary. They're tasty, low carb deliciousness.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

We also don't need much in the way of antioxidants because of our cleaner burning fat oxidation.

@Sunny_Bunny_ That matters a lot, too, about how effective your body is at a that, whether you include supplements (discovering some cause more inflammation than good), and how damaged your body was to start with. Adding in more antioxidants is finally helping me with some long term joint pain. So once again, I think this is n=1.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@Sunny_Bunny_ That matters a lot, too, about how effective your body is at a that, whether you include supplements (discovering some cause more inflammation than good), and how damaged your body was to start with. Adding in more antioxidants is finally helping me with some long term joint pain. So once again, I think this is n=1.

Definitely. I was just going by the fact that fat oxidation produces less in general as compared to glucose oxidation.
    I still take my Vit C because I think it has benefits. Not necessarily a 'need' but maybe it's good to have.
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss what supplements cause more inflammation?
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Patti2008 wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss what supplements cause more inflammation?

@Patti2008 - from what I understand, a number of them can, especially the engineered forms (as opposed to the natural forms). One of the biggest ones I've heard about lately, though, ironically, is fish oil. Poor quality or poor processing by the body can actually create or worsen inflammation in some folks. We all know that for most nutrients, dietary intake is generally best, but that applies more so here - sardines and other wild raised/caught fight are supposed to be the bees-knees in that regard. I'm sure there are other safe forms, too, and I do take them, myself... However, I was listening to a Functional Medicine Doctor in one of the recent Summits, and he said that one supplement he recommended that pretty much everyone take was Ashwaganda. I've been super skeptical of that one for a long time, but it is apparently an Ayurvedic Adaptogen, and really helps with free radical damage and immune system support. I've started taking in since just before the new year, and from what I can tell, it is helping...as I've had some ease in my joint pain that keto never helped...but again, this is very individually applicable. Say you have a hard time breaking down B vitamins. Or don't have enough stomach acid to break down Iron for absorption...those things could create inflammation FOR YOU... I think the genetic-type testing is the only thing that can tell you your strengths and weaknesses in that regard, but I believe inflammation markers and general info are more readily available.

@cstehansen - with your recent labs and new doctor, did s/he give you any insight in particular into the inflammation process?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @cstehansen - with your recent labs and new doctor, did s/he give you any insight in particular into the inflammation process?

Inflammation was something that was checked and I was all good there, so other than telling me I looked good, it wasn't mentioned. Specifically what was checked was:

Fibrinogen = 284 (optimal is below 370)
    hs-CRP <0.2 (optimal is below 1.0)
    LpPLA2 = 182 (optimal is below 200)
    MPO1 = 188 (optimal is below 450)

The "2" in LpPLA2 should be a subscript and the "1" in MPO1 should be a superscript, but not sure how to do that.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Inflammation stumps me - My mom has a few autoimmune conditions I strongly believe can be more easily dealt with on a more anti-inflammatory diet like keto.