Training / do u need more carbs ?

vilenski193
vilenski193 Posts: 49 Member
So I am training for a spartan super race and I am working out hard and some of the people I am training with say I need to eat more carbs. I have tried increasing my carb intake with fruit and good carbs but it is upsetting my stomach. I guess it is not use to it anymore. Any suggestions ? Do I really need more carbs? Should I wait it out for my stomach to adjust? Please advise. Thanks a ton

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    I am training for an ultra endurance cycle race, and I haven't changed my style of eating for it. I'm solidly fat adapted and that will see me through. Also, my reasoning is, that if I start taking carbs on the ride, I won't be able to get back to ketosis so easily and I too will be on a constant hunt to carb up to fuel my riding.

Why don't you try without increasing carb load? But do keep up your electrolytes and keep drinking! Also, you might want to look into using MCT oil in order to fuel up.

Lastly, I have used Ketocana to up ketones. It's expensive and I'm not sure whether what I felt is due to the placebo effect or not, but you might want to look into that too.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    your body will adapt, you don't NEED extra carbs, however you train is how your body will perform during the race...your body will even adapt to not eating at all (fasted training) if necessary
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    How far out is the race, and how long have you been LCHF?
  • mkoh65
    mkoh65 Posts: 10 Member
    I sometimes eat more carbs than usual the day before a workout if I feel my muscle glycogen is depleted, but I don't think fruit is the best option because fructose tends to replenish glycogen in the liver, not the muscles.
  • Keep Calm and Keto On. I have a triathlete friend who has been doing keto since December and is seeing amazing results. She uses UCAN very very sparingly for her longer workouts, but other than that she does less than 50g carbs a day (sometimes less depending on the training for that day) and is doing amazing. Remember electrolytes though!! Magnesium, potassium, sodium. Those are your friend when training more than anything!!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    mkoh65 wrote: »
    I sometimes eat more carbs than usual the day before a workout if I feel my muscle glycogen is depleted, but I don't think fruit is the best option because fructose tends to replenish glycogen in the liver, not the muscles.

Would you please describe how you "feel" it? I haven't incorporated training yet but the subject of meal timing, fat-adaption, carb-ups, etc all fascinate me in regards to fitness and ketosis.